I have an F-4J Phantom II, VF-114 Aardvark squadron to start, whats a good Vietnam 70s weapons load.

Air to air a possibility, not a great lover of "mud movers". Thanks...John

Edited by john53

The load-out in the photo in Curt's post appears fairly typical. The notes for 157249 'Linfield 106' on Fox One's sheet 48-023 state it was carrying 4xAIM-9Gs with probably two AIM-7Es in the rear wells, a centreline tank and possibly two TERs on the outer pylons on 6 May 1972. The other aircraft on both 48-023 and 48-009 carry similar configurations; some with empty outer pylons or TERs on the inners. The front Sparrows were often left off as they could hit the centre tank when being launched, meaning the tank would have to be jettisoned before they were used.

Thanks, that makes sense and I have seen a lot of photos like that.

So I could use center line tank, 2 sidewinders on each inner pylon and

2 empty TERS on outer pylons with Sparrows in 2 rear wells. John

Edited by john53

I couldn't get the Fujimi kit so I am using the Monogram

1/72 F-4J. I wanted to use sidewinders on inner pylons, Monogram

has these plus the TER below the sidewinder stations. I am guessing

I could cut the TER off. I wanted an empty weapons pylon on the outer

wing but Monogram gives you 2 drop tanks. Which Hasegawa weapons set

would have pylons I could use for these. I have a few sets but they

are in storage 1200 miles away. Thanks---John

Couldn't you just separate the tanks from the pylons the same way you're planning to remove the TERs? It may be a chore, but...

On another note, one advantage the Monogram kit has over the Fujimi kit is that Monogram got the rear cockpit right.

Couldn't you just separate the tanks from the pylons the same way you're planning to remove the TERs? It may be a chore, but...

On another note, one advantage the Monogram kit has over the Fujimi kit is that Monogram got the rear cockpit right.

That's what I've done in the past. Here's a WIP photo of the 1:48 Monogram kit where I cut away the wing tanks from their pylons. You would still need to do a little scratch-building to make them 100% correct, but it's not too big of a task.

Sarasota-20121218-00140.jpg

Mark

Hope I'm not speaking out of place but I believe when the wing tank was replaced on the outer pylon with a TER or MER an adapter was used. I have only found this type of pylon, with that adapter, on the 1/72 Fujimi F-4 kits (parts 66 and 67). The pair I used was from their F-4N , Series No.G3 (with the Sundowners markings). Photos of this pylon adapter can be found in various references. If unavailable, it shouldn't be difficult to scratch build.

Edited by Brian J.

Hope I'm not speaking out of place but I believe when the wing tank was replaced on the outer pylon with a TER or MER an adapter was used. I have only found this type of pylon, with that adapter, on the 1/72 Fujimi F-4 kits (parts 66 and 67). The pair I used was from their F-4N , Series No.G3 (with the Sundowners markings). Photos of this pylon adapter can be found in various references. If unavailable, it shouldn't be difficult to scratch build.

That's correct. It's what I was referring to when I said some scratch-building would be reguired to make a completely accurate pylon if you just cut off the tank. Scratch-building the adaptor is pretty straight forward.

Mark