1/48 A-6E HobbyBoss

Hi,

I am slowly starting this new HobbyBoss A-6E Intruder.

image.jpg

It will be finished in VA-36 livery as it was during Desert Storm operations.

image.jpg

I will try to build OOB as much as possible. I was told there will be some new resin goodies for this model but Aires still did not finished the cockpit set for A-6A I am not going to wait for A-6E one. I've bought a pair of Quickboost GRU-7 seats to enhance the cockpit. Thea seats looks way better than the kit original but they are not intended for this particular model. So I had to modify them a little. Quickboost seat is a bit wider and also the seat anget is a bit different than the cockpit tube. So I had to sand off a bit of details on seat sides and corrected the backrest angle.

IMG_1915x.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

Seat modification

IMG_1920x.jpg

Also I will try to use some Eduard photoetch details originally intended for Kinetic kits. I will see how much will be usable. Again I am not going to wait till the dedicated sets will be available for this A-6E boxing.

Hope to have more soon.

A.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

did some progress during last weekend.

First some work on fuselage...

IMG_1954x.jpg[/url]

IMG_1955x.jpg[/url]

Then I could not resist to try the mix construction of landing gear

IMG_1949x.jpg[/url]

IMG_1950x.jpg[/url]

Also I started to relocate the wing fence

IMG_1953ax.jpg[/url]

And the last but not least - my first try on USN Mk83 bomb with protective coating. I am still trying...

IMG_1939x.jpg[/url]

Rgds

Alexandr

Just for your info the position of the "stall" fence is not necessarily incorrect the boundary layer was changed several times, the inboard fences where moved around several times with the introduction of the Boeing composite wings, also the A6A had the fence where the kit has it and there where more than one a6a converted to A6E. There where so many airframe changes on the wing that drove me crazy during my years working on this bird.

I still love and miss the Intruder you couldn't have picked a better squadron to build, I was there in desert storm Heartless 536 looked cool but Heartless 533 was our work horse she flew 60 missions without ever going down. Cheers

Scott

Edited by ScotVA36

Just for your info the position of the "stall" fence is not necessarily incorrect the boundary layer was changed several times, the inboard fences where moved around several times with the introduction of the Boeing composite wings, also the A6A had the fence where the kit has it and there where more than one a6a converted to A6E. There where so many airframe changes on the wing that drove me crazy during my years working on this bird.

I still love and miss the Intruder you couldn't have picked a better squadron to build, I was there in desert storm Heartless 536 looked cool but Heartless 533 was our work horse she flew 60 missions without ever going down. Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for this valuable info. Now I understand my confusion when looking on all the pictures... But I wanted to replace kit's fences anyway as they are quite thick. So I can still put the replacement to original position or relocate them. I quite enjoy such a small changes on my models to be honest.

Regarding my choice - yes 536 really looks cool. You've mentioned 533 being heavily used. Do you have by any chance some pictures? Maybe I could change my mind and build her :)

Thanks a lot

Alexandr

Great looking start...I'll be watching as there's an Intruder in my future..

IMG_1915x.jpg

Hallelujah!!! this QB seat fits a lot better than most Aires/QB seats..it seems you didn't need to sand of any of the sides to get it to fit.......or did you?.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

A great start on an outstanding subject! :cheers:

How did you do the coating? Looks good! Almost looks like you softened the plastic and then pushed sandpaper into the plastic...

Great looking start...I'll be watching as there's an Intruder in my future..

Hallelujah!!! this QB seat fits a lot better than most Aires/QB seats..it seems you didn't need to sand of any of the sides to get it to fit.......or did you?.

Hi Clif,

I did actualy :) But it realy need s just a little bit.

IMG_1920x.jpg

A great start on an outstanding subject! :cheers:/>

How did you do the coating? Looks good! Almost looks like you softened the plastic and then pushed sandpaper into the plastic...

Hi David,

It is done using Tamiya White Putty. I will do some resin copy and will let know about availability - just in case you will be interested ;)

Regards

Alexandr

It is done using Tamiya White Putty. I will do some resin copy and will let know about availability - just in case you will be interested ;)/>

Can you elaborate? The reason I thought you directly modified the plastic was I don't see much of a size difference between the tail and the coating.

Hi,

I have some progress done last week.

First I've tackled intake trunks. Those are a bit tricky but quite nice after some sanding and a bit of miliput.

IMG_1968x.jpg

IMG_1969x.jpg

Next is the cockpit.

I've added a few wires to the area behind the cockpit.

Also added are a few bits and pieaces to the cockpit tube itself.

IMG_1963x.jpg

IMG_1965x.jpg

IMG_1966x.jpg

Based on photos and a video I've decided to add the shield to BN instrument panel. Not sure if it is 100% correct but looks OK for me... ;)

IMG_1970x.jpg

IMG_1972x.jpg

IMG_1974x.jpg

Today I've put some paint on and did some very light weathering.

IMG_1979x.jpg

IMG_1982x.jpg

Instrument bezels are from Mike Grant's decal sheet.

A few parts from Eduard's PE set are also used in this cockpit. There is still no set dedicated to HB model. I am using the sets intended for Kinetic and the usability is extremely limited.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Rgds

Alexandr

Nice - agree on the mind-boggling absence of aftermarket for this kit, if it were a 109 it'd be diff.

Eduard has nothing showing in the near future, not even a mask set, so like you I brush painted + added some AirScale instrument decals. Had believed that by now Steel Beach or AMS would have produced intake covers, plugs or vinyl.