I always enjoy a cigarette before my 54 year old fighter blows up

You guys light up a cig around any airplane sitting on any ramp and see how fast it gets you bounced. Argue all you want, but I've never seen anyone smoking on a ramp in the 35 years I've been flying, fueled or not.

(Is this actually an arguable point?? For the record, day follows night, and the red light means stop)

Edited by Jennings

E-2 Hawkeyes, C-2 CODS, P-3s...all had ash trays in them up until 10 or 15 years ago.

For some of the old school guys I flew around with, hanging back in the galley of the P-3 and smoking by the vent was pretty much normal.

It seems more absurd that they used to allow civilians to smoke on airliners.

It seems more absurd that they used to allow civilians to smoke on airliners.

Stupid for stopping that. They should have separate smoking and non-smoking flights. :D

If not for that my flight to Europe in 1995 wouldn't have been so interesting! I ended up in one of the aftmost rows, in the smoking section of the 747 (-100? 3 windows on the bump - it was TWA. Same reg as what was lost in '97 or '98 on a JFK-CDG flight). I ended up spending almost the whole flight talking with these two French guys there, drinking beer and smoking Gitanes... was a blast.

Back when I smoked..... I remember doing some disaster relief flights and we'd smoke a quick one around the aircraft. Not much time from touchdown to wheels up and several hours in the aircraft.

As for the rest of the goodies....

Usually 75% of the booze on board went to the grunts helping with the offload and we'd have the rest on the return leg.

At first glance that lever almost looked like the locking mechanism

in the old roller coasters! But even the Cold War era planes from

Eastern Bloc would have had ejection seats of some kind I would think.

How many pounds of air does it take to fill those "wheel hats"?