Restock Of The A-7 Set?

• 3 weeks later...

For now, due to the problems I've had getting good vacform parts, I'm calling it discontinued. :crying2:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

I'll be updating the website soon to reflect this.

:cheers:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

I am also now madly searching for this set. My father was fondly remembering his A-7 squadron when I last visited him this Spring and so I decided I would build it. He just turned 86; I hope to have a year to build it and show it to him. I found out about the Trumpeter kit (I'd made him a 1/48 decades ago), found one, then discovered this set. This set is really the best and only one you need for that kit. The kit looks funny without it.

What I am trying to build is actually an A-7A. I'm not trying to do any detailing with panels open, etc., just a regular parked "Remove Before Flight" version. I have several pictures of it, I've converted an E to an A in 1/48, but any online references to a/e variants would be welcome.

My father was the first C.O. of the first A-7 squadron in existence. I know Hill gets credit for first deployment with VA-147 but VA-86 beat it out of RAG by 3 weeks and was the first operational squadron. My father designed the very first tail emblem for the A-7, taking the existing "artsy" one from the A-4E and completing the body of the snake. It lasted about a year, then the next CO hated it and changed it to the coily one they still use. They only made 1 kit with that tail emblem - 72nd AMT? Revell? whatever the first kit of the A-7 was, that was it. They changed the decals soon after the first production run since the real ones didn't last long. I was just a kid then.

The one since:

coil%20a7%20tail.JPG

The first one:

first%20a7%20tail%202.JPG

So I'm trying to make it for him in a larger scale one last time. I've done the artwork, bought the kit; this is all that I need now. Any help finding this set/these corrections - as far as I can tell they aren't different between the A and the E - will be greatly appreciated. - Mark Long

• 1 month later...

Please add me to the list of GUARANTEED money-spenders if you re-release the A-7 correction kit (or any part of it) - I am quite desperate! I saw the closing bid for a set on Ebay recently around the $120 or $150 mark. I was too late or else I would have taken the bidding even further.

Thank you

-- Jannie

Please add me to the list of GUARANTEED money-spenders if you re-release the A-7 correction kit (or any part of it) - I am quite desperate! I saw the closing bid for a set on Ebay recently around the $120 or $150 mark. I was too late or else I would have taken the bidding even further.

Thank you

-- Jannie

I really want the set too, but I guess not nearly as bad as you (either that or I'm too cheap). I'll wait until the re-release happens..(I sure hope it happens). I have the kit, Black box cockpit, and aftermarket decals...just no Zacto parts. It's a good thing I'm a slow builder and the kit isn't at the top of my list.

1407649564[/url]' post='2637069']

Day late and dollar short as well. Had grand schemes for a D and E.......don't hold off with buying decals or resin!

No kidding! I learned my lesson with the CE Tu-4 AWACS conversion.

Here's an oddball idea, Zactoman. I don't know if you do your masters all by hand or use CAD work, but if you do use CAD files, then you could upload the files to a 3D printing service like Shapeways and then they could 3D print the canopy on demand and ship it to the modeler. You'd get whatever markup fee you set with Shapeways. They have decent clear parts, not great, but decent, and the technology is improving all of the time. This would let you produce the resin parts and the modeler could order the canopy to match. Or, you could perhaps bulk order the canopies from Shapeways and then include them with the rest of your own parts.

Just an idea.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I have big plans for one of these too. Have one, and a 60% complete build and need the second to complete my Carrier Air Wing 3 JFK Desert Storm diorama. I'd be one of those you could count among a slam dunk for a sale. I got designs.on your F-14 intakes too. I be among the first to encourage you to get this one back into production as soon as possible and to urge others to buy them so you had a steady revenue stream. This correction helps turn a mediocre kit into a masterpiece if well executed. It is an essential buy to build an accurate model using the Trumpeter kit.

Edited by Expat Tomcat
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

I bought your set last year I think and as you do, put it in the stash for a rainy day....well, that day finally arrived and after a few hours searching, my beloved asked what the hell I was doing? After a brief explanation that I was looking for a box with some model parts in, she went quiet...very quiet... (Guess you know what's coming here) It appears that the box containing said A-7 conversions & some other bits was sent along with other unused items to the local charity shop some weeks ago.....

So, IF and when you do another run I will be VERY happy bunny, albeit a bit miffed at having to buy the set twice.....

Let's hope that you can get something sorted soon....the 3D printing idea mentioned does sound like a very good option!

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Chris,

I bought your set last year I think and as you do, put it in the stash for a rainy day....well, that day finally arrived and after a few hours searching, my beloved asked what the hell I was doing? After a brief explanation that I was looking for a box with some model parts in, she went quiet...very quiet... (Guess you know what's coming here) It appears that the box containing said A-7 conversions & some other bits was sent along with other unused items to the local charity shop some weeks ago.....

So, IF and when you do another run I will be VERY happy bunny, albeit a bit miffed at having to buy the set twice.....

Let's hope that you can get something sorted soon....the 3D printing idea mentioned does sound like a very good option!

Cheers,

Phil

Phil, reading your story above I did this (out loud) "Noooooooooo"

That hurt. Some lucky chum at the charity shop though...

Phil, reading your story above I did this (out loud) "Noooooooooo"

That hurt. Some lucky chum at the charity shop though...

Hmmmm.....that wasn't exactly the sound that erupted from my mouth.... Hey ho, this just means I'm going to have to dig out the Flanker a bit earlier than intended.

(No doubt there is some pensioner wondering what the hell these things are that she bought from the said local "charity" shop for an absolute bargain...)😏

Phil

• 1 month later...

Did you look at the bid history? It started yesterday morning around 10:00. Starting bid was $19.95.

It took about 7 hours and 9 bids to get it up to $202.50. Looks like the 1st bidder really has to

have this. I need one too, but wow.... I'm just hoping Chris will find a way to get this back on the

market.

Don't know if you guys saw it, but that eBay one ended at almost 300 bucks. :jaw-dropping:/>/>

Ekkk at 300USD I think I will be scratchbuilding an intake cover myself....always seen that intake as the worst of the issues with the kit - the rest I can kind of live with.....esp if that's the cost of changing it :)/>