new Cobra from Kitty Hawk

Bell AH-1Z is not a Cobra but a Viper...

It is a Cobra, the Zulu Cobra, as well as the Viper. The following quote is from Textron, of which Bell is a subsidiary:

Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, announced today that the U.S. Marine Corps' newest attack helicopter, the AH-1Z Cobra, achieved Initial Operating Capability ahead of schedule in February.

From the U.S. Navy:

VX-31 operates one Bell Helicopter Textron AH-1Z “Viper” (a.k.a. “Zulu”)

The Marine Corps' newest attack helicopter, the AH-1Z Super Cobra

Imagine lighting up the cockpit!

AH_1Z_cockpit_sim.JPG

[edited to add links]

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

I am impressed with the flight sim imagery - it even has some of the more recent buildings right. It looks like it has just taken off North Island and flying towards downtown San Diego, about to pass USS Midway.

nS710w"]The Marine Corps' newest attack helicopter, the AH-1Z Super Cobra[/url][/i]

Imagine lighting up the cockpit!

AH_1Z_cockpit_sim.JPG

new kit coming very soon

Another disappointing release :(

I know: ask Kitty Hawk to develop and produce high-quality models is meaningless ... :bandhead2:

But still ..

CAD very simple and primitive.

No surface details

All helicopters have positive rivets

Why do the wrong open engine even if its cover not true?

Take the budget for surface details! We do not want the wrong engine

Another disappointing release sad.gif

I know: ask Kitty Hawk to develop and produce high-quality models is meaningless ... BANGHEAD2.jpg

:rofl:/> You didn't even wait to see plastic?

I haven't seen an AH-1Z with a sharkmouth yet so I may not get it but I certainly would not bother looking in on posts by a manufacturer I have already written off as disappointing. Wouldn't it be better for anyone with your prejudice against any new release by Kitty Hawk (meaning you're judging the release before knowing what the final kit looks like) to wait to see review of the build? Then, all complaints, disappointments, correction suggestions, etcetera, have more weight and help others.

I too would love to see the final CAD with raised (instead of indented) rivets but this seems to be an announcement of what is coming.

As for open engines and avionics panels, I agree with you simply because I like to show the clean lines of an aircraft and showcase the (in my case; shark mouth) markings.

Regards,

CAD very simple and primitive.

No surface details

All helicopters have positive rivets

Why do the wrong open engine even if its cover not true?

Take the budget for surface details! We do not want the wrong engine

They didn't say this was the final product. Just that it was coming. This is an in progress shot. Give it a break until you see the final product.

What is wrong with the engine? The cowling is correct. It looks like a T700-GE-401 to me.

Personally I think recessed rivets are easier to work with. Representation rather than duplication.

Bottom line if you don't like it, don't buy it or better yet produce one yourself. The CAD is very simple. That will teach them.

Wait for the final product. Sheesh.

Floyd

They didn't say this was the final product. Just that it was coming. This is an in progress shot. Give it a break until you see the final product.

What is wrong with the engine? The cowling is correct. It looks like a T700-GE-401 to me.

Personally I think recessed rivets are easier to work with. Representation rather than duplication.

Bottom line if you don't like it, don't buy it or better yet produce one yourself. The CAD is very simple. That will teach them.

Floyd

Exactly. Their illustration is nothing more than what a movie lobby marquee would be. A simple glimpse of what is coming, not an all encompassing layout of the plot. At least they are interested enough in engaging the modeling community with coming attractions rather than holding in everything like it was some big secret.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

:rofl:/>/>/>/>/>/> You didn't even wait to see plastic?

I haven't seen an AH-1Z with a sharkmouth yet so I may not get it but I certainly would not bother looking in on posts by a manufacturer I have already written off as disappointing. Wouldn't it be better for anyone with your prejudice against any new release by Kitty Hawk (meaning you're judging the release before knowing what the final kit looks like) to wait to see review of the build? Then, all complaints, disappointments, correction suggestions, etcetera, have more weight and help others.

I too would love to see the final CAD with raised (instead of indented) rivets but this seems to be an announcement of what is coming.

As for open engines and avionics panels, I agree with you simply because I like to show the clean lines of an aircraft and showcase the (in my case; shark mouth) markings.

Regards,

Same here. I have experience with the Kitty Hawk Dauphin and Seasprite. Any manufacturer that makes 1:48 helicopters should be cherished by the helo- modelling community, and so KH should deserve more than a chance.

On the other hand can I feel a bit of sympathy for Anton's rant; esp. on their Dauphin, KH imho grossly overdid on outside panel detailing; nearly every fuselage panel is modelled seperately which in scale gives a completely unrealistic appearance of a modern helicopter model. The in real life clean and aerodynamic lines of the aircraft are missing and can only be realised by puttying and sanding everything flush again. I know that's what a lot of modelling is about, but in case of KH's Dauphin it is starting to feel like occupational therapy. Which brings us to the point of the rivets; had KH done positive rivetting, the rivets would have been sanded away completely in the process of filling the gaps between the panels.

In the end we should welcome every new helicopter model, so let's think positive and hope that KH does this one better!

:cheers:

Gertjan

I have experience with the Kitty Hawk Dauphin and Seasprite.

Since I don't have the Dauphin to compare, did Kitty Hawk improve from their Dauphin to the Sea Sprite?

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

Floyd

Like waiting for the SH-2 Seasprite that was first announced as an SH-2D, then an SH-2F and was actually released as an F with the upper housing of a G? Great, we finally got an up to date tooling of the SH-2F, but the modeler needs to modify it or buy the CC resin correction set to actually model an SH-2F. Waiting for the final product doesn't give one a warm and fuzzy.

Exactly. Their illustration is nothing more than what a movie lobby marquee would be. A simple glimpse of what is coming, not an all encompassing layout of the plot.

Chris M

"Almost" all of the Kittyhawk releases have issues though. Most of these issues are due to what appears to be a lack of knowledge on the subjects they've produced. Even with SME's providing input they've still managed to botch a lot of their kits. Many of the issues are a mix of different variants being marketed as one (the SH-2F/G as an example). Their 32nd T-6 suffers from the same problems.

Almost all of the problems were noted when CAD images started to appear as well. Unfortunately, the final products show that most of those criticisms, suggestions and comments that offered help went unheeded.

Sorry, but if there is currently one company that deserves to have CAD images they post picked apart, it's Kittyhawk. Their track record supports that. The perception is that they don't know their subjects well enough and are trying to do too much too quickly.

Sorry, but if there is currently one company that deserves to have CAD images they post picked apart, it's Kittyhawk. Their track record supports that. The perception is that they don't know their subjects well enough and are trying to do too much too quickly.

This is the single must accurate and succinct statement I have seen in recent times about the KH approach. My overwhelming emotion on an approcahing KH release these days is a quiet sense of dread, rather than excited anticipation as it should be with subjects like the Mirage F-1, Seasprite, Voodoo etc.

You guys DO realize that the CAD model *IS* the master pattern for the kit, right? That you make a CAD model which controls the CNC mill which cuts the steel that makes the kit?

Like, they're not just mocking something up in CAD to get a feel for the subject, then breaking out the Dremel and freehanding it on a lump of steel when it comes time to make the actual tooling.

If it's wrong in the CAD, it will be wrong in the kit.

(now, we CAN debate whether this is a finished model or just a render of an early test, but either way there is ZERO benefit in waiting to see what the finished kit looks like before pointing out things you'd like the manufacturer to improve. that's as ridiculous as the people who suggest you should wait until you get a kit home from the hobby shop before deciding whether or not you should buy it)