new Cobra from Kitty Hawk

You guys DO realize that the CAD model *IS* the master pattern for the kit, right? That you make a CAD model which controls the CNC mill which cuts the steel that makes the kit?

I do know that as well as that the CAD files can be updated. This seems like a preliminary one since none of their releases so far are smooth.

My response was to the comment "Another disappointing release" when it is an announcement, not a release. Other than the lack of detail on the CAD, nothing about the shape was offered, just hand wringing.

By all means, if someone sees something wrong with the shape, details, etcetera, I'd love to hear it.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

zulu cobra, cool, it would be awesome to get a ride in that flight simulator, re: KH my question is this, are the mistakes more of an issue than models of yesterday that had huge numbers of inaccuracies? anyone remember raised panel lines? If its close to build able Im buying it but I agree if KH sows us CAD drawings, then they need to listen when the "experts" point out flaws and correct them. I'd also like a nice 1/48 Vietnam era cobra

KH has already done four or five different versions of the Bronco CAD after getting feedback from model builders. So clearly they're trying to improve. If people see problems, wouldn't it be to the benefit of everyone to help and post constructive comments instead of writing it off at the first-stage CAD?

Isn't MPM doing a 1/72 Cobra family? I seem to recall that coming up in their newsletter.

So far, only the early G model has been released with the Q and S versions due out. But no twin engine Cobras have been announced

I think you may be thinking of the AZ model AH-1G. I was not aware of the MPM kits being released. Please correct me if i am mistaken though.

Ray

Yep, I am thinking about AZ Model/Admiral/Legato, sometimes I get them and MPM/Special Hobby mixed up.

For me, I would rather them focus on having some bays that could be open but fit well when closed as most will build that way and leave the detail parts to others.

• 1 month later...

How about in 1/35 scale????

Gino,

Do you realize what the intro of a NEW 1/35 Helo of ANY flavor would do to the psyche of all those poor souls who dished-out $100++ for a $35 Panda/Dragon UH-1D with the optional add-on of $30 for $6 toy soldier kit? "Buyer's remorse" just doesn't say enough, does it? I don't understand why large format fans/builders are held hostage by the tyranny of the Braille builders. (Nothing personal - I admire and am in awe of the guys&gals who can work with tiny components and turn out mind-blowing builds - but us "old guys" misplace entire wing assemblies that are right in front of us! We need kits that require floor jack stands!

That's all of my whining for the day!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I think you may be thinking of the AZ model AH-1G. I was not aware of the MPM kits being released. Please correct me if i am mistaken though.

Ray

MPM have been working on a 1.72 AH-1 G & Q/S versions, for a year now. Details here with sprue shots, looks like its nearly finished.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939769-new-72nd-scale-ah-1-cobra-available-soon/

As for KH they do seem to be getting better and we are at least getting new product from them.

Julien

For me, I would rather them focus on having some bays that could be open but fit well when closed as most will build that way and leave the detail parts to others.

Kitty hawk could mold the panels closed and make the bay a separate part. If you want the bay open, you just cut out the panel and glue the bay into place like a landing gear bay.

Steven :wave: