ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
HomeBe

1:48 - Douglas OA-4M Skyhawk by Kinetic - 3D render - project reported cancelled

Kinetic has just announced a 1/48th Douglas OA-4M Skyhawk kit.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kineticmodel

3D render

OA-4-M-zpsqa7zzaya-1.jpg

I confess being not very excited by this announcement as it's already possible to build a fine OA-4M combining the top Hasegawa TA-4J kit (http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/has/kit_has_07243.shtml) and the dedicated Steel Beach Accessories conversion set (http://steel-beach.com/oa-4m.html).

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by HomeBe

Nice!

Can't believe Hasegawa sat back on this version...especially after they did one in '32nd???!!!

Bet Hasegawa will be having a meeting in the morning to get one out the door.

Nice!

Can't believe Hasegawa sat back on this version...especially after they did one in '32nd???!!!

Bet Hasegawa will be having a meeting in the morning to get one out the door.

Was thinking the same. Steel Beach did release a conversion set that turns the 1/48 TA-4J into an OA-4M.

Koen

Sorry, but to me this is an utter waste of tooling and plastic. There were only 23 of them and they never did a damn thing, though I suppose you could do a TA-4KU and the Brasilian and Argentine versions thereof, and I am sure we will see boxings of those versions. But if I wanted one in 48th, I'd build the Monogram kit, which is pretty good, raised panel lines and all, or use it as a conversion donor for the Hasegawa kit. I seriously doubt that Kinetic will improve in any way on the basics of the Hasegawa TA-4 kit - well perhaps they will not duplicate the slat well step - and, yes, I am well aware that Hasegawa never did their own OA-4M in 48th, but they did do it in 32nd and 72nd, and also boxed the Monogram 48th kit, and I would bet that those ventures dissuaded them from doing their own in 48th. Just look at the comments in this thread and on Facebook: more people are asking "What happened to/where is the ______?" than are expressing unbridled enthusiasm for this release.

I would personally rather have seen them do a TA-4S if they were going to venture into two seat skyhawks. To be sure, there were only 8 of those, but to me it is a much more interesting aircraft as a modeling subject than the OA-4M/TA-4KU/AF-1A/TA-4AR, and a good deal more difficult to convert to on your own.

My two cents - or more likely $50 - will go elsewhere.

Tom

Well, I like it ...

As for the "Where is the ____ kit?", that happens with every new tool announcement ... Frankly, that's old and clichéd ...

-Gregg

I like this too! the OA-4M has been high on the most wanted kit list for many years, and the Monogram kit is rare and out of date.

As for "I would like to see this and that kit" - that should be a separate thread ;)

For me the kit should offer the options to build an OA-4AR, AF-1A and TA-4KU. An OA-4M only boxing wouldn't interest me a lot.

For me the kit should offer the options to build an OA-4AR, AF-1A and TA-4KU. An OA-4M only boxing wouldn't interest me a lot.

Apart from the nose antennas sensors and avionics aren't all those basically the same airframe?

Apart from the nose antennas sensors and avionics aren't all those basically the same airframe?

For the TA-4KU and AF-1A I believe so. The OA-4AR would require a new nose as the aircraft seem to have a radar so a radome (with lightning diverters)

OA-4AR-FAA-accidente-feb2013-4.jpg

Source: http://maquina-de-co...m/blog/?p=29847

Edited by Laurent

I knew I should have bought the Furball Lo-viz Devil Dog sheet before it sold out.

I knew I should have bought the Furball Lo-viz Devil Dog sheet before it sold out.

...that just proves how welcome this kit actually is. Will Hasegawa jump the wagon and release their own OA-4M? Most likely. Until then, we now have Kinetic and/or the Sprue Brothers conversion set for Hasegawa.

Win-Win for all ;)

Man, if they insist on pumping out low-quantity subjects, where's the new-tool 1:48 Twin Mustang? Shoot, it at least had aerial kills to its name.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Well, I like it ...

As for the "Where is the ____ kit?", that happens with every new tool announcement ... Frankly, that's old and clichéd ...

-Gregg

+1.

Yes, it is getting old. Instead of being happy the hobby is continually growing with new kit options, we get "expert" opinions on how "totally wrong" something is without actually having plastic in hand.

Good for the OA-4M fans who wanted a new kit.

BTW - those of you seeking a new Sea Harrier FA2 should check out Kinetic's facebook page today ;)

some folks don't want to bother with monograms kit or don't want to do a conversion when using hasegawa's kit. they want an OOB kit with recessed panel lines.

Edited by randypandy831

AF-1A and TA-4KU are the same airframes - Brazil bought the Kuwaiti birds after they were retired. The main difference between the OA-4M and TA-4KU/AF-1A is the engine. TA-4KUs were fitted with the J52-P-408 engine of the A-4M/N and had the larger intakes for that engine (port intake has the added cooling intake ala OA-4M). They did not have the RWR antennas on the nose and around the exhaust of the OA-4M, but did have the hump and pod on the top of the tail, as well as a strake on each side of the tail. They were also fitted with a drag chute, the only two-seater so produced.

OA-4ARs are recycled OA-4Ms with modified F-16 radar. They have a different nose cone (for the radome) with no RWR antenna fitted, but retain the OA-4Ms RWR antennas around the exhaust. New RWR antenna are fitted under the wingtips and there are several other antennas around the airframe that are new to the OA-4AR. Engine and intakes are as OA-4M. Drag chute was fitted. Cockpits have been largely redesigned with HUD and large MFDs in both cockpits and new control grips for HOTAS.

Edited by LanceB

For the TA-4KU and AF-1A I believe so. The OA-4AR would require a new nose as the aircraft seem to have a radar so a radome (with lightning diverters)

I can see the lightning strips in the link you posted but the shape of the radome doesn't look particularly different to me

The lightning strips would be simple to simulate - tape, scribe, thin bits of styrene or decals

Edited by a4s4eva

I can see the lightning strips in the link you posted but the shape of the radome doesn't look particularly different to me

The lightning strips would be simple to simulate - tape, scribe, thin bits of styrene or decals

Yes it seems like only the surface detailing changes yet, if Kinetic was to provide an OA-4AR option, I'm not sure that they could get away saying "just rescribe the panel lines". In any case, new IPs (2 MFDs and a lot of analog instruments removed) and HUD would need to be provided.

Edited by Laurent

The nose is blunter and more rounded: See here

From here.