ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
HomeBe

1:48 - Douglas OA-4M Skyhawk by Kinetic - 3D render - project reported cancelled

The nose is blunter and more rounded: See here

From here.

Not only that perhaps. I don't know much about the modern A-4 avionics but the undernose radome (Doppler ?) looks more bulged on the sides in the OA/A-4AR ( http://i63.photobuck...ononarizuk1.jpg ) than in the A-4M ( http://www.toadmanst..._skyhawk_13.jpg ).

Edited by Laurent

Not only that perhaps. I don't know much about the modern A-4 avionics but the undernose radome (Doppler ?) looks more bulged on the sides in the OA/A-4AR ....

I think you are right. The fairing is deeper at the front, and more squared-off at the corners. Plus there is that protruding white antenna on the bottom.

I'm not convinced the cross section is different from any other A-4 (Although I confess I don't know if the A-4M forward nose section was significantly different from the A-4E/F).

Here's a TA-4K/A-4K Nose with radome open, the cross section looks pretty much the same to me.

Plus redesigning the forward nose section would be a big, complex and expensive job. It would be simpler to reduce the radar antenna to fit, like was done on the APG-66NZ. BTW this basically the same radar as in the A-4AR

apg66nz.jpg

apg66nz_nose.jpg

Kahu-nose-equipment-including-APG-6.jpg

RNZAF-Official-Vanguard-2001-25.jpg

radar_ant_2-1.jpg

Not saying they didn't do, but just , from an engineering point of view it wouldn't be the first option

Edited by a4s4eva

Onto the radome, although that link you posted does say it was changed (one of higher dimensions according to translation service). I'm not convinced the radome shape is much different from a standard A-4E/F/M.

If they didn’t change the nose section then the rear of the radome that mates the airframe has to be same profile. I get the “Pointy-ness” of the radome could be slightly different but I just can’t see that much in it

The Doppler antenna does look a little like bulged at the back but this a GRP panel that IIRC is easy made locally so there can be slightly different profiles even within the same fleet.

The white teardrop (ADF?) antenna is an add on and the resin piece linked in the post above has exaggerated the fastener line IMHO

Here's the best images I have that show a little bulge at the rear on the Kiwi Skyhawks. I have just as many without a bulge, plus you'll notice these are both early and Kahu Skyhawks.

IMG_9475.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

RNZAF-Official-NZ6207-1st-check-Ohakea-April71-01.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

IMG_8395.jpg

Glen-Turner-2-sqn-hanger-1986.jpg

CG-2-Sqn-Nowra-2000-04.jpg

My point being it seems to me you could build a OA-4AR from a OA-4M as the airframe shape is pretty much the same. Sure there are specific antenna differences but depending on how they mould the OA-4M specific antennas on the nose it (assuming these are separte parts) it could end up being very easy.

That said there is nothing to say Kinetic won't do a couple of boxings to maximise their mould investment. What will be interesting is are there A-4E/F/M. TA-4F/K etc parts on the sprues?

Edited by a4s4eva

whatever happened to the Kinetic OA-4M ?  Why won't Hasegawa do one?  They've done the TA-4 and A-4M models, OA-4M is a natural follow up. 

Zzzzzzzzz.....  Of all the really important, historically significant aircraft with combat histories that haven't been done before... the OA-4M?  Really?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Zzzzzzzzz.....  Of all the really important, historically significant aircraft with combat histories that haven't been done before... the OA-4M?  Really?

Right? How about an RF-8 Crusader? Monogram's OA-4M ain't bad and Phase Hangar Resin has an OA-4M conversion in the works for the Hasegawa TA-4 kit.

Edited by picknpluck

On 7/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, nachjager said:

Hi Raymond, based on your mainstream subject theory, have you ever considering doing a A-10 Warthog in 1/48? Its a quite mainstream subject that has been neglected for too long. HB did one a long time ago it many feel it missed the mark.

Regards,

J

Sorry to tell you A-10 is never a mainstream subject. - One Operator - 2 scheme only.

One Operator , two, perhaps three schemes,  only a few build, never saw combat (could be wrong, thou) but the A-10 is still KICKING asses. Oh the irony....

16 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

^^^^ that was a joke right?

Maybe he was referring to the OA-4M ?

On 8/14/2019 at 2:56 AM, nachjager said:

but the A-10 is still KICKING asses. Oh the irony....

Here, here.