I don't know why the name change, other than perhaps to mesh with their programming changes that now include more shows about firefighters, police officers, medical responders and other non-military type individuals/careers. I think they are even showing UFO/Bermuda Triangle type stuff now along the same vein as "Ancient Aliens" on the H2 channel :sunrevolves:

But this is just pure supposition on my part.

I too liked Wings... :(

I've noticed that too, and I just upgraded my cable lineup so I could get Military Channel - do I have the worst timing in the world or what? I'm actually thinking about calling the cable company and telling them to forget it, and get my nine dollars a month back.

First of all, there is a lack if content. How many times can you watch Hitlers Bodyguards or Hilter and the occult? I also get tired by their fascination with snipers. After a while that gets pretty boring.

How about some reruns of Victory at Sea, Air Power or World at War. I get better military stuff on the National Geographic Channel.

Where did the Military channel go to? I guess it is now AHC?

I Googled military channel and found this story. It's the American Heroes Channel now and includes 17 new shows -- thank goodness because I, too, am tired of the sniper and Hitler occult stuff.

And don't knock professional wrestling. Have you seen Total Divas on E? I guarantee the Bella Twins are much more enticing than any airplane!

Bellas-T4.jpg

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Edited by thegoodsgt

Hendricks' Law: Every focused cable network expands until it includes professional wrestling and reality programming.

How can anyone use professional and wrestling in the same sentence? It's a TOTAL OXYMORON, IMHO. <_<

Edited by ReccePhreak

First of all, there is a lack if content. How many times can you watch Hitlers Bodyguards or Hilter and the occult? I also get tired by their fascination with snipers. After a while that gets pretty boring.

How about some reruns of Victory at Sea, Air Power or World at War. I get better military stuff on the National Geographic Channel.

They do indeed rerun World at War...except it's been colorized. Looks okay in the main but some scenes (explosions, mostly) look hokey. Of course, the series contains some "modern" footage that was shot in color. For example, that haunting village in France that was not rebuilt, as an homage to the townsfolk who were slaughtered by the Germans for no reason other than being French.

I have U-verse and I get the military history channel. It's a spin off from the history channel. I also get the new AHC but it's not that different from the old military channel.

Edited by gonzalo
  • 2 weeks later...

World at War is not being rerun in color. There are three shows about WW 2 being run on the poorly titled AHC and those shows are the original, World at War, originally produced in the early 70s & narrated by Sir Lawrence Oliver and the more recent showsThe Color of War & World War II in Color .

In my opinion, if you're going to title a channel The American Heros Channel, then thats what the shows should be about, American heros! Half of whats on the channel now has nothing to do with American heros. Maybe if Discovery would stop running endless episodes of shows about pawn shops, junk collectors & lumberjacks on the original History Channel, then maybe they would have someplace to air those non-hero related shows.

Edited by afspret

Maybe if Discovery would stop running endless episodes of shows about pawn shops, junk collectors & lumberjacks on the original History Channel, then maybe they would have someplace to air those non-hero related shows.

Kind of tough to do since Discovery and History are two different companies with their own different groups of networks. Sure, sometimes History shows stuff that was produced by Discovery Channel Canada, but they don't really have a connection to one another except that both are trying to attract viewers.

As for the name change, I'm fine with it. I am sure as things progress, we probably will see more diversified programming. But that takes time and shows like what they aired when they were Military Channel are bought, paid for and in their vaults.

What is this 'cable' you speak of blink.gif ???

When I moved from Southern California to Idaho, like getting all the the utilities set up, I was making arrangements to get the cable hooked up.

Somehow, I was overcome with a sense of enlightenment:

1) How much will cable be a month? About $76 with the package I want.

2) How many channels will be at our command? About 155.

3) How many channels will my family use/watch? Less than 12.

4) How often does my lovely wife and I watch TV? Less than 5 to 6HRS a week.

5) How much will cable cost a year? About $912

6) Does the usage of channels and time vs cost of cable make any sense (To us)? Absolutely not!

We haven't had cable since the Fall of '99. And we don't miss it one bit.

Being a family man with young kids, my time is limited as it is. Not to mention; I ride bicycles, road bikes and mountain bikes. And my rides are several hours long, especially if I'm on the road.

And I build models. I can watch TV and build models if I wanted to. Problem is, I don't like to do both at the same time because I like to focus only one one thing at a time.

We haven't had cable since the Fall of '99. And we don't miss it one bit.

Being a family man with young kids, my time is limited as it is. Not to mention; I ride bicycles, road bikes and mountain bikes. And my rides are several hours long, especially if I'm on the road.

And I build models. I can watch TV and build models if I wanted to. Problem is, I don't like to do both at the same time because I like to focus only one one thing at a time.

We just cut our cable. It was upwards of $1k for the year and we weren't using it that much. So we upped our internet, got a Netflix and Hulu+ subscription and I got MLBTV. Less than a 3rd of the cost and more of what we want. Also this Hulu is not all that great so we'll probably turf that too.

We just cut our cable. It was upwards of $1k for the year and we weren't using it that much. So we upped our internet, got a Netflix and Hulu+ subscription and I got MLBTV. Less than a 3rd of the cost and more of what we want. Also this Hulu is not all that great so we'll probably turf that too.

My wife got us Netflix.

I didn't have any interest in it for a few years until lately.

Man; I've watched so many foreign movies over the last few months! What most interest me re: foreign films are the historical backgrounds of the various films.

The storyline is fictional but the time period in which the story takes place the director tries to be accurate. And that is what I find fascinating as well as educational.

I've watched many Chinese movies where the storyline takes place anywhere from 100 to 500+ years ago. I've also watched several European movies with the similar time period.

Veeeery educational to watch those.

My interest in Chinese movies is limited to what can be found the $2 DVD bin and features some sort of martial arts. That's how I found Jackie Chan's Drunken Master period piece.

What I've liked about the Chinese movies I've watched recently is the fact that the martial arts is used more as mere part of the culture/lifestyle rather than the American-style action movie.

Other historical interpretations including how they viewed the British and the Japanese as well as the infighting amongst Chinese warlords.

What's also interesting about said Chinese movies is that they project a feeling of an idealistic Chinese history/culture much like how the U.S. film and TV industry did during the '50s and '60s. Kind of 'John Wayne' approach.