New found love and respect for certain planes

Did it ever happen to some of you that you never interrested in a certain plane, yet something triggers you to suddenly like it alot more?

For instance, i never really thought of the F 14 as a beautiful plane. It was nice to see it in Top Gun, but i never really loved it. Untill a friend gave me a 1/72 F 14D kit as he was quiting the hobby. I started building it (it is not finished yet btw) and suddenly was really impressed by the shape and the size of it. It totally let me see the F 14 in a different light. A strange, but lovely experience.

I had a similar yet less intence epiphany with the F 117. It seemed a bit boring to build seeing as it would be a all black plane, but after seeing some of the builds on this and other fora, it really has a lot of potential as a beautiful show piece. Again, i can't stress this enough, i'm only talking about eastatics as everybody knows that the F 117 is an impressive piece of machinery.

So, anything like this ever happen to one of you?

This happened to me with the C-133. I had read about them in books, and seen them at museums, but I went to Open Aircraft day at the Air Mobility Command museum in Delaware, and got to walk around in side the C-133 and see everything, and It suddenly became one of my favorite aircraft. The area behind the cockpit looked like an airliner interior, and the cockpit was actually large enough to be comfortable to move around in. There was just something about that plane which captured my imagination.

F-104 Starfighter is to me my most loved for its esthetics and sound as jet fighter/interceptor

F-4U Corsair is my favorite for same reasons prop fighter.

Lockheed Constellation is my fav. for same reasons prop airliner

Concorde obviously for jet airliner.

Modern bombers, B-52 and Tu-95 Bear, too close to choose so I'll say in a tie.

WWII bombers, Lancaster and B-29 again too close to call, so in a tie.

I have others I like /love in all categories but these are the tops on my lists.

The B-2. I was impressed by it, but never really liked it. I saw it on static a couple times and was "meh".

I went to Edwards Open house and they did a demo.

Seeing it take off - meh

Fly by with bomb doors open - meh

Then it did a high speed left to right bank over the crowd - pure awesomeness

The only other time I've been left in awe like that is watching a Tomcat demo.

For me, it was the P-51 Mustang. I built kits for years, and the Mustang never really caught my eye, and then my local club had a theme night: Mustangs (Car and plane)

I wound up building 12. I discovered that it's a very nice looking plane!

Alvis 3.1

For me it's the F-5. It has an interesting history. I kind of snuffed it off for years and years. Even after working on AV-8s and seeing them on a daily basis I never really gave them much thought. Then I was blessed enough to land a job working on them. It's not my favorite aircraft but its up there. I've knocked out a half dozen or so after getting back into the hobby and there's plenty more in the stash. It is an extremely successful aircraft even if it lacks significant combat time due to its flexibility and affordability. What other basic airframe has so many different variants, but maybe that credit should go to the T-38. Either way, it sure is a beautiful aircraft with a long and illustrious history.

Well, it has always kinda been the Hawker Hunters to me; either the F.6s or FGA.9s. I used to think it was SUCH an ugly airframe 'til one day I fell hopelessly in luv with the two-seat versions, dunno why. Afterwards I suddenly developed a keen interest in this aircraft, which made me see the real beauty on it, really.

Sometimes I admit I've gotten to think I sort of don't like the look on certain aircraft when sittin' on their undercarriage, i.e., the B-1B, for instance, especially when spotted from the sides, 'n' havin' the wings unswept.

For me, it's Rafale. At first impression, I didn't think much of it, especially compared to Typhoon. But it changed when I bought a Hobby Boss Rafale B Tiger Meet (just because the scheme looked so good). As I researched more about the plane, it kind of grew on me. I ended up buying another Hobby Boss Rafale ©, and built both in parallel.

For me it's BAC TSR-2

Aeronautical engineer Sir Sydney Camm said "All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right."

Steven L :boohoo:

While I think the P-51 and Spitfire are about the most aesthetically pleasing aircraft...no wait, the two transcend just aircraft...machines, ever built, I have an affinity for "ugly" aircraft for some reason. Maybe it's because I started out working on E-2 Hawkeyes and went on to C-2 CODs and P-3s. I guess it's the look of purpose. The Fairey Gannet and Breguet Alize are others that come to mind.

Go ugly early!

Couple of examples come to mind for me.

yak 3 I used to really enjoy playing il-2, and in this game at least the yak 3 just kicks but. I suppose from how good it was a fighter, I began to look at its lines in a new light; very clean, and the tapered wings are interesting.

mirage 3 seeing it at the south african military museum ; it looks like it's going mach 2 when its parked on the ground.

For me, the F-15 is one of those planes. Impressive to watch perform, but on the ground just kind of a boring, slab sided affair. My mind changed on it when I saw one with the FAST packs stuck to the side, they seemed to make it look like a much more complete and substantial machine and a bit easier on the eyes.

I never thought much of the Bell P-39 Airacobra, but once I stopped reading the mindless bashing of the type that some publications lay on that machine, I really came to appreciate its aesthetics and lines. As looks go, it's probably one of my favorite American made WWII aircraft.

Last year there was the Phantom GB. I decided to get in on it to build an RN FG.1, simply because it's British, and Commonwealth subjects are an interest of mine. I'd always thought of the F-4 as nifty but nothing special... until I built that one. And another and another: I ended up building IIRC nine of them during that GB, I'm working on #15 now. It grew on me, and fast: it's one of my top favourites now.

Similar story with the MiG-29 (though I'm still only working on my first Fulcrum build!)

For me it was when I saw an A-7H do some air support for us when we were on a training excercise. They came in hard and low (you could see the oil stains on the underbelly from where we were on the ground). I'd never seen an aircraft that low and loud before and I fell in love. Sure it's butt ugly, but for me its function over form to the point where I loved the look of it from that day forth..can't tell with my banner can you! :)

For pure aesthetics though, you can't go past the Rafale. S3x on wings... :wub:

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

For me it was the Japanese F-2B. I know it's an F-16 on steroids but with that two tone blue camo and snazzy JASDF special markings it looks awesome! And another is the YF-23. I got the Hobbyboss kit and man that is a big and impressive aircraft.

I've always loved planes...all of them. I differ with some of you on some of them. Like I think the Spitfire is THE ultimate in beauty and grace in a productions airplane and the Mustang is the crate they ship them in. The Bugatti 100p is the ultimate in prop driven perfection.

But to answer the question the good old DC-3; took them for granted for many years, and then I started working on N34. The more work I did the more I gained incredible respect for the men (and there may have been one or two women back then) who designed it. They REALLY D-E-S-I-G-N-E-D it down to the minute details that would make it easy to service and repair for someone with a high school education and basic hand tools.

Yeap, this happened to me also. Back in the 80s I didn't like the F/A-18, not only for its shape but also for its performance, etc.

But, when I saw it from up close and during flight demos, I've started to like it.

Now, it's the exact opposite! I like the F/A-18A/B/C/D BUT, don't like the F/A-18E/F!!!!

I would have to say the Hornet and especially the Super Hornet have won me over. Ever since seeing the Super Hornet Demo a few years ago at NAS Jax airshow, I've really have a new respect for the aircraft, the Growler version is pretty bad a** too. Doesn't hurt that I get to see them everyday.

The F-35 is another aircraft, It was always "meh" to me, but seeing it first hand, especially watching the "B" version do its thing around here, it's pretty awesome.

To me the F4U corsair will always be my favorite, especially the F2G.

I've absolutely loved the legacy hornets since I was about 8 years old, but the super bug hasn't done it for me until recently. The larger dimensions and especially those hideously large LERX are just not elegant looking at all. That said, oddly enough, the an F model has grown on me, probably with the improved profile due to the extra cockpit. Especially fully loaded they look pretty cool.

Also, I've really been digging the F-4 lately. I was a little young to really appreciate it before, but fully loaded they look really tough. I REALLY want to get back to the bench and knock out some of my in-progress builds so I can crack open my EJ and G phantoms!!!

biggrin.gif