Air Sea Rescue Dumb Barges – called the ‘ Cuckoo ’

During World War 2, sixteen Air Sea Rescue Dumb Barges – called the ‘Cuckoo’ were built and moored along the English coastline. They were not a huge success, but the concept has interested me for a long time and thanks to the Scottish Maritime Museum at Irvine I was able to get plans and dimensions and have used our Catia (CAD) system to design a model in 1:72 scale. A few screen shots of the model follow, but my question is - would this model be of interest in any other scales, e.g. 1:144 or 1:48. It is very eaasy to do other scales in CAD. Feedback is appreciated!

Anyway - here are some pictures:

This is the right front view with the cabin top in place.

Cuccoo-1_zps07f112ab.jpg

The same right front view with the cabin top removed to show the interior detail. From back to front there is the companionway, stove, spare accumulator and three bunks over lockers.

Cuccoo-2_zpsa9b41f48.jpg

Similarly, here is the left front view with the cabin top in place.

Cuccoo-4_zpsf341276d.jpg

And again the same left front view with the cabin top removed to show the interior detail. From front to back there are shelves with blankets and pillows, the radio transmiter, the first aid kit, and again the companionway.

Cuccoo-3_zpsc20d2ac4.jpg

The model consists of a resin hull and superstructure, with cast metal and etched brass details. The hull is cast in two parts, so it can be buitl as a waterline model if desired.

For the record, the German equivilent seems to have been equally unsuccessful. These were called 'Lobster Pots' and one reputedly broke away from its moorings and finished up in Falmouth Harbour!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

The CAD files went off on the 9th April 2014 for production of the masters for resin and metal parts. It will probably be around a month before we receive the masters. Meanwhile there are the photo tools for the brass and then there will be waterslide decals in this kit.

We will be producing it initially in 1:72 and is the demand is there we will probabkly do the lobster pot in due course.

Neil

• 2 months later...

We have receive the masters for the resin parts. SLA lays the resin down in layers about 0.1 mm or 0.004 in thick, so these steps have to be removed.

These two photo show the parts as received;

950-IMG_2624_zps243e0a21.jpg

950-IMG_2625_zps25133794.jpg

After a coat of primer and with the steps removed this is what the look like (remember that these parts include the resin casting feeds).

950-IMG_2638_zps5161c7c1.jpg

950-IMG_2640_zps62f35672.jpg

The next thing is to try these parts with the etched parts when they arrive at the end of June. This is the artwork for the brass:

Brassillustration_zps41d73bdd.jpg

I have decided to do the kit in 1:72 as there are suitable kits to use with it, such as the Airfix ASR launch.

Ultimately price will be a deciding factor for me, but I love seeing unusual subjects like this being offered. It would be a very neat addition to my small but growing SAR / CSAR / ASR collection.

Also very cool seeing more kits being designed with CAD / 3D printing.

Ultimately price will be a deciding factor for me, but I love seeing unusual subjects like this being offered. It would be a very neat addition to my small but growing SAR / CSAR / ASR collection.

Also very cool seeing more kits being designed with CAD / 3D printing.

Unfortunately CAD/CAM is not a cheap process - one benefit is that it makes you work more accurately. An example is that with Catia in some cases if you have a gap of one micron it does not like it!

Incidentally we use stereo lithography not 3D printing because the layers are thinner, thus smaller steps to remove.

• 2 years later...