Zvezda Topol - 1/72 scale ICBM TEL

OK - it isn't a plane - but it is a craft and it flies through the air - and it isn't really 'Armor', so indulge me....

This is the second 1/72 scale Zvezda Topol I have made - the first is in on-road configuration.....

topol_023.jpg

I built this one in the 'ready-to-fire' configuration.....

topol_046.jpg

I had to scratch-build an SS-25 ICBM - just the front part - using a plastic knitting needle ....

topol_033.jpg

Other mods are -

I replaced the plastic raising ram with one made from aluminium tubing

As there is no cabin interior supplied, I covered the windows with home-made blinds on the inside (like the real thing!)

The fold-up ladder on the front cab is lowered (see box art)

The nose cap - which explodes off as the missile tube is raised - has the interior detailed....

topol_039.jpg

topol_040.jpg

topol_044.jpg

Here's the two models side-by-side....

topol_041.jpg

More photos - and build - here

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Beautiful job, dude 70.gif !

Couldn't help but notice the tires. From the tread pattern those should say 'Michelin' on the sidewalls; am I correct?

Those are definitely Michelin military tires.

Dunno about Michelin - but Armory in the Ukraine have done a set of replacement resin tires and hubs - you can zoom in to see the tread pattern here.

The Zvezda tires are rubber - not everyones cup of tea.

This image of Topol-M shows the real thing.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Considering that these things are one-shot assets if they go to war anyway... the only reason to keep the cones, or even to keep the launchers crewed and rolling period once they've taken their shots, is to sacrifice them as decoys for the ones that HAVEN'T yet fired.

There are videos and images on the internet of the ICBM's being fired - so presumably test/training launches - followed by reloads ???

So the nosecone would be re-attached after a test firing presumably??

I found one vid of the nosecone being blown off just at the start of the launcher being raised - but I have lost the link.

I wonder how much surveying has to be done before launch - to establish the launch GPS co-ordinates.

Are they launched from prepared sites? - or can they just drive into a field/forest, establish a setting and go??

Interesting stuff.

Ken

PS - Found it :-

check at .08 seconds in.

Test and training would be the only times I could see a need to retain for reinstall. CAN the cap be reinstalled in the field, or is it "Depot Level Maintenance"?

I mean, it would have to suck, trying to drive back to the parking area dragging that thing around on its weak little leash... so they'd have to have some way to either load it back on somewhere or cut the cable and leave it for someone else to pick up and bring home.

Interesting questions Diamondback Six......

From the way it falls off and bounces in the vid, it looks to be quite weighty - no flimsy fibreglass here.

So a small crane would be needed to get it back in position - or load it onto a support vehicle (maybe there's a specific cap-gathering MAZ tractor ??) :rolleyes:

Plus I suspect that it is explosively jettisoned - so again, not fixable in the field.

Watching the various vids, there are numerous support vehicles that deploy with the TEL, so maybe field-do-able??

But you couldn't re-load the ICBM, so re-attaching the cap would probably be done at that point - but back at base.

It's all fascinating stuff - if only we had someone to shed some light on the subject.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman