CD48064 - F-100 in Vietnam : Part 1

Which kit would you recommend?

At the risk of opening a big can of worms, Monogram, for reasons that have already been cussed and discussed many, many times. :D/> However, if we ignore the accuracy side of things:

Out of the box, the Monogram kit is mostly a RHAWS-equipped jet. All you'd have to add would be drop tank nose extensions, to convert the kit's 275-gal tanks to 335s, and add the antenna fairings under the radome and at the aft end of the fuel tank vent fairing on the tail. AMS includes the chin antenna with their drop tank noses. The one for the tail can be made from scrap styrene in about 5 minutes. To backdate the Monogram kit, just sand down the fairing so it is about 1/3 the original width and replace the azimuth display and warning light stack on the top of the left side of the instrument panel glare shield with two little fuel tank gauges. Here's a link to a RHAWS jet: F-100D 56-3440

The Trumpeter F-100D represents a non-RHAWS jet, with the thinner fuel tank vent fairing. You'll still need some drop tank extensions, and you'll have to widen the fuel tank vent fairing and add the antennae mentioned above for a RHAWS jet. Non-RHAWS jet (note the difference between the two jets' tail fairings): F-100D 55-3754

Kursad, the decals look great! I'll be buying some soon!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Sure!

Also, be aware that the 1/72 Trumpeter F-100F fuselage is much too long, as if it was stretched for a 3rd cockpit, and I don't know if this has carried up to their 1/48 kit, since I haven't had access to one to measure it. I think both C&H's and Fox 3 Studios conversions for the Monogram kit are still available. If you can find one, the old War Eagle vac conversion is very good, too, but you'll have to scratchbuild almost all of the cockpit details.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Now that's a great looking Hun!! And this builder knows what they looked like!!

That dark streak of discolored metal was a shiny purple color!!

I flew over the Huns at Tuy Hoa AFB daily and tried to note how they looked. But sometimes I was busy flying!! LOL!!

Bo

Demon 68

These should start landing in your mail boxes today or tomorrow - I shipped almost all of the preorders last weekend. I am looking forward to seeing some builds.

Part 2 will come sometime in early 2015 - I will most likely scale this down to 1/72 at some point.

Kursad

Which kit you suggest for this? I m seriously thinking of ordering.

This is probably not the expected answer, but I think it all comes down to personal preference: Honestly, I like the ease-of-build and the recessed panel lines of the Trumpeter kit in spite of its problems. If you can live with the shape of the intake, it is a very enjoyable and quick build. The decals will work fine on both Monogram and Trumpeter kits.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Let's revive this post. 🙂

As my search for this sheet has been in vain, I'd like to inquire here.

Is there anybody here that has this sheet in his/her posession, is not going to use the decals for the F-100F 58-1226 (early Wild Weasel) and would be willing to trade these?

If anyone knows an online store that still has these in stock, that would also be very helpful.

Thanks for any help!

This is the one:

image.png.5720876f353a018f9d2ecd4190199883.png

This sheet has been reprinted and is waiting to be re-released at a suitable time in the next couple of months - if you can wait a bit longer, it will soon be available everywhere. If you can't wait, please send me a PM and I will sell you one.