Academy 1/72 Hornet

Hi gang,well my 1.32 super bug is on hold again(waiting on new paint) so i started a new build in the meantime.

As i am a big fan of the B model and a 75SQN brat,it was an easy choice.I am doing A21-116 as i could not get decals in this scale to do 112 so the model

is a bit more up to date than what 116 was when she was at 75.not accurate but not bothered.

The kit.

IMG_9382Medium.jpg

the kit has the flaps molded in place but it will be put on a stick depicting flight so out came the no11 blade.

IMG_9386Medium.jpg

i removed the unwanted bits from the fins for an aussie jet.

IMG_9387Medium.jpg

IMG_9388Medium.jpg

paint so far.

IMG_9455Medium.jpg

IMG_9456Medium.jpg

IMG_9457Medium.jpg

final paint,decals and light weathering in next few days then build the base to mount her on and done. :salute:

very cool! :thumbsup:/> can't wait to see the finished pics

if you don't mind, would you be able to provide a bit of detail on how you cut the flaps and posed them in this scale? I have a pile of hornets in the stash, and definitely want them looking the part with the flaps down while parked, so I've been looking to see how other builders have accomplished this. Huge thanks in advance, and best of luck with the rest of the build!

- joel

Hi Joel, im sure everyone has a different way of doing it.depending on the part and how deep (or not)the line is i just use an 11 blade and keep going over it back and forth till desired depth or cut off is achieved.some times i put tape either side of the line just to make sure of no accidents,but most times its no drama.take your time and go slow,its not a race.i also have a picking tool that i sharpened that helps as well.some times you can just work the line till the flap is movable,then pose and glue into position rather than cut it off completely and then re glue into position.all comes down to what works best for you and how you want it to look.main thing is to go slow.

HTH.

• 2 weeks later...

ok been a while but she is done.

i back dated to 88/89 B model,removed the lex fences,bird slicers,gps.

IMG_9462Medium.jpg

finished result.

IMG_9463Medium.jpg

IMG_9464Medium.jpg

IMG_9466Medium.jpg

IMG_9467Medium.jpg

i am not a fan of building 1/72 scale but i am happy with this.

A21

Have a question for you on the kit. I have the same kit in my stash, when I looked at it the surface has a slightly rough feel to it. Was your kit the same way? Nice looking Hornet! Great job!!!!

Edited by tosouthern66