Revell 1/144 CH-53G

I thought I would do another build for this GB, and since nobody is doing a helicopter yet, I will do one.

I will be building a Revell 1/144 CH-53G of the German Army, which was used in the aggressor role in the 1980's. Back then, there was some fear for the Mi-24's the Warsaw Pact could throw at NATO forces if the cold war would become hot. One idea to cope with them was the use of the Luftwaffe Alpha Jets against them.

To test this idea, CH-53's were used as aggressors, and Alpha Jets of JaBoG 49 based in at Oldenburg were used to intercept them. Trials were conducted at various altitudes, as low as 100ft, and with 1 vs 1, 4 vs 4 and so on.

Now, for this, I will use the Revell 1/144 CH-53G, which was re-issued last year, with the appropiate markings included. It's a nice little kit, with recessed lines, and decent enough detail for the small scale.

So far, I have painted the interior and am about to glue the fuselage halves together:

P4053679_zps9c852561.jpg

P4053680_zpsa0664c09.jpg

I also started on the main rotor. Only one set is included, the old style blades, which is fine for my build, but not for the other decal option in the kit, which is a current CH-53G. Composite blades are used nowadays, which look a bit different.

P4053683_zps569e3e08.jpg

• 1 month later...

Better get back to this one. Just some masking of the clear parts, and I should be able to shoot some paint on it.

P6023785_zpsea6845d0.jpg

@ Aggressor01, thanks, but I'm good. It's just an olive drab machine with some orange panels. Everything I need is in the box.

@ Hammm, yup, it's a fun little kit. I found that the IP didn't quite fit under the clear nose, so I had to remove some plastic.

• 3 weeks later...