Here's my entry to the Group Build, It'll be mostly out of the box, with a few handmade details to help the kit out.

I started to toy with the idea of a resin rear bulkhead, I had a Black Box tub from a Mirage 2000, it fit but was completely the wrong style for the III, so I abandoned that idea and went with the kits pit.

024_zps7c73caf4.jpg

I went out of the instructions sequence and worked on the intakes, being a NMF I did not want to have a bad intake seam so now was the best time to install them, the kit is known to have some warping issues and it did, not terrible but with out a little tweaking and a 3rd and 4th hand I got the intakes on with out the need for any putty, I just glued them up and hit them with a little steel wool and they were perfect.

027_zps55506b32.jpg

032_zpsd291d30c.jpg

033_zps182d05cb.jpg

037_zps28f82520.jpg

Edited by Netz

On to the cockpit mock up.

I decided to dress up the side walls, so I added some strip styrene, a bit premature as I really didn't have good reference photo's so I was just winging it.

I eventually found a cartoon type illustration that showed a better lay out, so I commenced to carving up the strips I had glued in to better represent the actual pit.

045_zps68778ef2.jpg

Edited by Netz

Exhaust, I didn't like the plain hollow tube of the kit exhaust, so I had some pieces of an Aires F-4 exhaust that I cut up and joined together, gave it a much better look and some interior detail if anyone looks up there.

The single tube was too short So I spliced 2 together to get them close to the correct length, to make sure the 2 tubes would join together square I used a machined block with a "V" cut in it, I hit the ends with a sharpie and sanded till I had removed the ink,just a guide to insure I was square. Any additional length adjustment will be done by slipping the compressor fan in and out a bit.

057_zpsd9c04bb5.jpg

059_zpsbde34ebb.jpg

063_zps53b10845.jpg

072_zpsee64a094.jpg

Edited by Netz

Getting ready to join the fuselage together.

Well I added some nose weight... of my own...but found the kit already comes with a pre-formed weight (I just forgot it had one, I'm not used to kits coming with them).

I painted the interior pieces, I didn't go too crazy animating the exhaust, but just did some basic colors to get the parts ready to be closed up.

073_zps5e2ebb95.jpg

For the pit, I sprayed it a gloss black (with a silver base cote)hit ti with some steel wool then gave it a Tamiya clear smoke wash, added some piping with lead wire, I've had this for a while I really don't like it as its a bit too soft, it will not hold a shape so you have to glue it as you go, and it's also a bit fragile and will easily break if your not careful.

To run the cables I just drilled some small holes, ran the cable through it, tied somewhat of a knot in the end applied some C/A and pulled it tight.

I then ran them as best I could,I couldn't get too creative as I mentioned before it won't hold a shape, so straight down they went.

079_zps6875488c.jpg

I got to try out my new portable paint set-up and the new Sotar

076_zpsaea83fc9.jpg

085_zps6cbad7fe.jpg

086_zpsdd761e77.jpg

Edited by Netz

Too bad, Sierra Hotel has no AM stuff for the Mirage III! :monkeydance:;-)

But there is a set from SBS - pit and wheel wells, I guess they are from Hungary!?? I don't know how will distribute that brand in the States.

I agree, the lead wire is very soft not easy to handle. That is why I prefer copper wire (pulled out from electric cables, hehe...so it's really not expensive).

What do you do with the IP? Maybe you add some Mike Grant cockpit decals for the bezels?

Yep, no SHM Mirage Items...

I do as you do and strip electrical wire, the phone cables are the best for small diameter, then there are the little electric motors you find in broken toys, the red stuff, very fine.

As for the instrument panel, I'm going with the kit decal, no Mike grant stuff unless it falls out of the sky.

Curt

Right now I plan on using the kit decals #745, it has the factory red stripe down the side.

But to stay true to my build themes I should be doing #52, I just don't have the tail #.

Curt

Edited by Netz
  • 1 month later...

I heard it has warping issues, I'm about ready to glue the fuselage and wings together, so I'll find out soon.

I've seen one at our local Contest, built by a reputable builder and it was pretty tweaked, tail not at a 90 degree angle to the wings, and the wings them selves were a little off. I can't tell now if mine has these problems but I'll surely find out.

Other then that it's coming along fine (at my slow pace)

Curt

Edited by Netz