Let me begin by saying natural metal finishes scare me. I've succeeded in getting a good NMF only twice. Both times I used Tamiya sprays. I'll do the same for this build, even if in the end its not as pretty as Alclad, etc.

The Academy F-89 is a pretty nice kit. The cockpit has some great detail, and the surface has petit scribed detail. There are not many parts, and so far fit has been good.

I assembled the wings and nose cone. I applied Mr.Surfacer along the seems, but it was more pre-emptive than anything. I also added a bit to two small sink marks near the wing roots.

I painted the side consoles of the cockpit and will be working on the IPs and seats next.

null_zpsc1c09adc.jpg

Welcome, we're glad to have you. I'm happy to see an F-89 in the build. I agree that NMF can be tricky but thats why we're all here, to hopefully work together and learn a few tricks. I've certainly stashed away a few ideas for future projects thanks to this group build. I look forward to watching this build progress.

Thanks guys.

By the way, I'm open to suggestions regarding markings. The kit box has the red-winged arctic scheme, and a more subdued overall NMF with black and gray rocket pods with some star and lightning bolt designs on them.

I haven't seen any aftermarket decals for the -D version of the scorpion

The IPs have been finished and installed. I'm not thrilled, but once the cockpit is buttoned up, it'll be ok.

null_zps3802f722.jpg

I'm looking for pictures of the seats, but can't find a good one of the back seat pan

Edited by RKic
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...