Darren's 1/48 Spitfire project.

As the title suggests I'm building Spitfire's in 1/48 scale starting with an Mk.1.

The first on to the bench is this:

DSC_7709_zps0648a092.jpg

The contents:

DSC_7714_zpsd55985db.jpg

DSC_7715_zpsa8c46ee8.jpg

And some AM stuff:

DSC_7716_zps346d99aa.jpg

This one will be from 19 Sqdn at Duxford in 1938.

Anyway here is today's progress. I think I've done well. I've noticed that I've painted the seat red (that's what you get before looking at Edgar's email. But other than that I'm happy with it. What I'll do next time is wait for Edgar's advice before proceeding any further. My late Dad always used to tell me not to be too hasty.

DSC_7724_zpsdc0586f8.jpg

DSC_7725_zpsb68997c7.jpg

DSC_7726_zps3d70510a.jpg

DSC_7727_zpsc6f5ed7c.jpg

DSC_7728_zps026451ae.jpg

As it's in BoB era fit with armour plate and reflector gunsight, I'll probably now do the BoB one.

Looks like a good start and looks somewhat familiar to me in that I am presently converting the Airfix 1/72 MkI into the prototype and the kits look pretty similar. If you don't have it already, look for Trevor Snowden's Spitfire Revisited from Dalrymple & Verdun as it is a great reference as to all the Spitfires and while I find it helpful, it is even better for the 1/48 builder as all the built kits shown in it are 1/48 and will help you with the journey you have started. A very good overall reference for Spitfires and Seafires. HTH

Cheers

Bruce

Darren,

Will be following your build with great interest both for my love of WW11 prop aircraft, and my increasing awareness of the newer Airfix kits, which I've yet to build or even buy one. So far impressed with the kit, and your OOB build. Nice effort on the wing roots. Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Thank you! I'm trying to do all the marks, but some are out of production unfortunately. I'll just have to look around at second hand vendors.

Today's progress. I added brake lines (a first for me)

DSC_7775_zps40e10a99.jpg

And she's nearly there.

DSC_7776_zpsd86320d3.jpg

DSC_7777_zps9e714c45.jpg

DSC_7779_zps811e60c2.jpg

Just got to sort out a wireless aerial for her.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Glad you like it.

I'm just about to start my next one. Which will be an F.Mk.22 again with AM goodies. But I don't know whether to start a new thread or just put it in this one?

So first things first was getting rid of the kit supplied sidewall detail.

DSC_7812_zps2c7d6440.jpg

I also modified the kit IP.

DSC_7813_zps9f3b62dd.jpg

And added these to the mix.

DSC_7815_zpscc4a8dea.jpg

To get it looking like this.

DSC_7816_zps925a7541.jpg