Roden C-124 Decals

Since he mentions Draw Decals (mostly 1/144) I suspect he does mean C-124 as in their 1/144 Globemaster Kit. Can't help as to the original question but hope this clears up the post.

I proposed 1/144 C-124 decals, but there was zero response, so we shelved the idea. There were actually some pretty colorful ones from the Strategic Support Squadrons, but we can't put effort into it if there's no market.

We do in fact have 1/72 Thunderbirds decals for the new C-123B coming however (plus...)

:)

J

This is great news! Thanks Mike, I'm really looking forward to some ANG decals for the Roden 1/144 kit!

Any chance they will be ready in time for ScaleFest in Dallas next month? :)

-Derek

Edited by viking73
  • 2 months later...

Some trivia. The last unit to operate the Shakey was Alaska Air Command's 21st Operation Squadron. They retired their two C-124s in 1975, I believe. They just outlasted the Guard and Reserve C-124s.

Best wishes,

Grant

Derek,

The decals are still a work in progress. My day job has taken up most of my time the last month or two, so art production has been a bit slow. I will do my best to get the sets done as quickly as possible.

Regards,

Mike

Derek,

The decals are still a work in progress. My day job has taken up most of my time the last month or two, so art production has been a bit slow. I will do my best to get the sets done as quickly as possible.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the update Mike. No worries, I am just really looking forward to these decals and I'm very glad to hear that they are still going to happen. Can you share any details as to what scheme(s) you are working on? :)

Take care.

-Derek

My hope is to do all of the ANG units. Not sure yet how they will be broken up among sheets. I will not do all of them in one set - that just runs up the printing costs and leaves modelers with a bunch of leftover decals they won't use. It should look something like the recent F-102 sets from DRAW Decal - 3 to 4 units per set maybe... I will try to include as many of the extras as I can, like nose art, names, etc. I will be sure to post an update when I do get them done.

Regards,

Mike

I try to never say never, but my plans for now are only for the ANG birds. Mostly this is driven by the fact that I am slowly plugging away at drawing decal art for all of the various types operated by the Tennessee ANG (home state). That project is working backwards through time (I've done the C-17s and C-5s from Memphis, the C-130s out of Nashville, and the KC-135Es and Rs as well as the F-102s from Knoxville), and the C-124s are next up. Yes, I skipped a couple (ADC scheme KC-135Es, KC-135As, C-141Bs and the Euro scheme C-130As). Since I am already doing the TN ANG, I figured I would take care of the rest while I was at it. Jennings, you are absolutely right that many of the Active units were MUCH more colorful than the ANG ones on the Old Shakey, but there are other projects I want to spend my time and efforts on.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Making some progress on the C-124 decal art. In my research, I came across this shot. Does anyone know what the cartoon character is on the nose? I feel like I should recognize it, but I am drawing a blank (pun intended ;)/> Some other period characters used by the Memphis bunch at that time were Andy Capp and Snuffy Smith.

http://www.gonavy.jp/bbs1/img/5395.jpg

Mike

• 1 month later...

In keeping with my word, I wanted to post an update. I completed the art for the 1/144 C-124 ANG decal set this weekend. The art will go through the prep and proofing process before it is released. I can't make any promises on how long that will take, but the decal should be ready for sale soon.

Included are the markings for all of the ANG units that operated the C-124 - GA (2 Groups), MS, NH, NC, OK, TN (2 Groups) and UT. A couple of nose art options are included, as are all wing stripes (missing from the Roden kit decal) and numerous other details. Hopefully, you will find it worth the wait.

Regards,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...