Revell / AIMs 1/32 Junkers Ju188 E2 – Aeronavále 10.S.10

Hi there folks..

My first build on ARC and while I also have a 1/32 DH Hornet on the go, my discipline has weakened and I am starting another project..

I figure all this stuff is in for the long haul so I need to just do my thing and enjoy building things :whistle:/>

I am a big fan of the airframes the Luftwaffe created in the heat of battle and of those I figure the Ju88 was one of those white-hot designs that held a purity and level of adaptability that was rarely matched..

..but it was developed... so I have been collecting parts to build a Ju188 – not the peak of development (and I itch to do a Ju388) but even so the 188 is a proper aeroplane, a multi-tasked fighter/bomber so count me in...

..just to build the aeroplane has been a mission of collecting and accumulating (aren’t they all :explode:/> ) – so far I am at:

Revell 1/32 Ju88 A4

AIMs 1/32 Ju188E conversion (on it’s way)

G-Factor Ju88 U/C legs

Eduard Brassin Early Ju88 Wheels

RB Productions PE Luftwaffe Rudder Pedals

Revell 1/32 Fw190 A5

Everything airscale does (owners privilege :woot.gif:/>/> )

WIP001_zps0e435e78.jpg

WIP002_zps65c4a890.jpg

WIP003_zps2b4c374e.jpg

Slightly unusually there is a Revell 1/32 Fw 190 in the list.... I have no intention of building a ‘what-if’ Mistel, but rather I read the early Hasegawa (& Revell re-pop) of the Fw190 has a full BMW801 engine which I intend to have opened up and on display. Anyways, it got here from Korea and for the £20 I paid I am happy it will be the basis for some magic I need to work on it :shoot:/>

Enough preamble - I like unusual colour schemes, so have decided to model a French Aeronavále E2 version that was used for post war Missile testing of German designs like the FX 1400 "Fritz X" and Henschel Hs293.

Escadrille (Squadron) 10.S. received four aircraft that were basically built from parts found in factories in France, Belgium and Germany by SNCASE.

Registered 10.S.10 to 10.S.13 there is still debate about the colours used, with 10.S.10 thought to be Blue and 10.S.12 green. The same post war scenarios abound as with Czech He219’s in that the suspicion is local (i.e. German spec) paint was used, however at the same time Aeronavále Hellcats & F4Us were in Glossy Sea Blue so that’s the way I am leaning for now...

..I have this magnificent book and fully credit it for anything I give as fact and maybe a few illustrations on the way – i only hope I can reflect the efforts made to record Ju188 history in my own way – thank you Pierre Dumollard

WIP004_zps2ef9b2cc.jpg

Here is the only picture I have found of 10.S.10...

WIP006_zps921ebe8e.jpg

Collection A Bissol

..and what may be the same aircraft, but crucially this time carrying an Hs293 (does anyone make a 1/32 Hs293, or is it included in any kits you know of – it seems not??) ...

WIP005_zps59cfbde3.jpg

Just like the DH Hornet, there are no survivors to crawl all over or even find walkaround shots for, so my obsession with detailing is going to be a bit of a challenge...

Fortunately, a lot of the aircraft is common to the much better documented Ju88 so it is really just in the cockpit I need to unravel the mystery, though I have found some period Technical Manual pictures which will help..

WIP007_zps0731e697.jpg

..my last build was a Sea Fury I fell in love with and took a couple of years to complete but never posted here on ARC.. (so a small pic to remember her by..)

WIP1068_zps71fa33df.jpg

..the Ju188 will likely take me a bit of time to get organised, but hey I think this is going to be fun..

Until next time...

TTFN

Peter

airscale

evening chaps :)

got home to find the postman had been yippee

..now I have what I need to get started so thought I would share some pics for those that haven't seen the AIMs Ju188 resin kit before - top, top quality, I am really impressed..

before that, some other goodies - I got a 1975 edition of Scale Models as it has some good plans in it, I got the Wurth book and the ebay Fw190 arrived squashed from Korea - not that I care, I only want the BMW801 engine...

WIP015_zpsc525963d.jpg

..these are the engine parts I will work with - the AIMs kit has engine fronts, but I want cowlings open so thought this would be the easiest way...

WIP016_zps671945e2.jpg

..so onto the Ju188 - some great instructions and comprehensive decals from Fantasy Printshop (who we use at airscale, they are second to none...)..

WIP013_zps40bb3413.jpg

...this is the PE and a small selection of bags of smaller bits - there are bombs & ETC racks etc I won't be using..

WIP012_zps005b057d.jpg

..beautifully cast tail, rudder & wheels...

WIP009_zps43ccfa51.jpg

..engines, nacelles etc - these are really cool one piece castings...

WIP008_zps6ac6bc65.jpg

..the bit I was most worried about was the glazing - having just learnt to vacform on my Sea Fury I was dreading having to maybe replace the glazing on a 188, it would be a whole new ballgame, but here you get two sets like this...

WIP010_zps300b5b00.jpg

...and just to prove how optically clear they are I put the Sea Hornet instrument panel behind one to see how good they were - I think the result speaks for itself, they are superb...

WIP011_zps31605ab5.jpg

...the last and most significant part is the one piece nose section - another work of art..

WIP014_zps6130affb.jpg

..I expect I will play around with this and maybe make false walls so I can do my thing with the detail - as a canvas to work from it is exceptional and I suspect built out of the box would be more than enough for most, but with my 'illness' I expect to spend a few months on detailing :wub:

WIP017_zps499e5003.jpg

..thats it for now folks - next time will be some actual building :P ...

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale

... my discipline has weakened and I am starting another project..

I know exactly how you feel. Even when a project is going swimmingly there are voices from the stash cupboard yearning to be built.

This looks like a fun project that I will follow for sure. I have a fee Ju-88 conversions ideas that will benefit.

Edited by macbain

evening ladies :)

so today was all about butchery - taking your nice new kit, thinking you know best, and taking a saw to it to cut it in half...

..I love the one-piece nose that come is the kit and I have spent some time admiring it as a casting achievement - however, I thought I needed to get in and work on the space in the cockpit and thought I would get frustrated trying to shoe horn things in - for example, I want to fully detail the side walls and add the pull down seat and all the other gubbins..

..at this point I want to offer a public and very big thank you to Matt Low who shared a full set of Ju188 Tech Manuals which means I have much more of an idea of what I want to do - I post elements of these at my risk and hope Erhard Milch doesn't sue me..

..here is the sidewall with the pull down seat illustrated - I love this sort of info...

WIP032_zps972932b5.jpg

..other drawings call out the station points (ringed in red), or bulkheads so positions can be seen..

WIP031_zps1626e8f8.jpg

..and with a factory plan of the station points I can calculate what goes where - for example the seat goes between bulkhead 3 and 4a..

WIP030_zps73619bad.jpg

..I also found some other pics after many hours on the net that show the seat location and details...

WIP034_zps5bd4f2f4.jpg

..so, it's one thing to know what stuff looks like and where it goes (and for me sometimes that takes longer than making it), but the challenge is how to integrate this into the model via this beautiful casting...

WIP033_zpse5bb5c8b.jpg

..ummm - I thought I would cut it in half...

WIP026_zps4f30edd6.jpg

..before I completed the surgery, I measured a number of datum points so I can get the nose back how it should be once I have detailed it - I will shim about 0.60 of card to make back the material lost through sawing it when the time comes..

WIP019_zpsbd80a913.jpg

..now I have some space to work and two large bits of resin...

WIP027_zps923c4896.jpg

..this is where I will probably grind out everything and start to scratch the seat & side-wall details (sorry Pastor John..)

WIP028_zps462769a2.jpg

..and sooner or later (likely much later) these bits will end up as a Ju188..

WIP029_zpsfe5c6b52.jpg

..thats all for now

TTFN

Peter

I too am watching this build as I have some JU88's that are on my build radar. I find it interesting that no one produces a resin 1/32 BMW 801engine, one of the more utilized engines of the war.

Jager

Edited by jager

evening all :)

..managed to get a little bit done and maybe enough to be 'postworthy'...

..actually, I am embarking on my favourite part of any build - the cockpit.

It seems no matter what the kit, I will always do my own thing - one day I will do a Tamiya Spitfire and part of me wonders even with something as good as that whether I will bin the instrument panel and start my own...

..anyways, after a lot of delving and rumaging on the web and in the manuals Matt sent I managed to sort of cobble together the detail on the fuselage wall on a print out. No special science, I just cut & pasted images together and shrunk them to scale size & hit 'print'...

WIP044_zpsff5d8a32.jpg

..this is then stuck with paper glue (Pritt-Stick in the UK) to thin card and used as a guide to punch out the dial apertures...

WIP045_zps1e7b260d.jpg

..I then needed some world class photo-etch instrument bezels and cockpit details - hmm, wonder who makes those.. :whistle:

WIP050_zps017bc8ba.jpg

..started to add details to the main panel - all the other panels will be built seperately to sit slightly proud of this one as per the original..

WIP046_zpsf506c760.jpg

..the upper panel gets the same treatment..

WIP047_zpsfad1ebea.jpg

..and you get the idea..

WIP048_zpsf6d5257b.jpg

...lots (and lots) more to do but it's a start..

WIP049_zps9057fa93.jpg

..until next time my friends

TTFN

Peter

Peter,

I will be following along with great interest. Not so much because I'm planning on building any Ju 188s any time soon, (actually my main interest is WW11 USAAF & USN aircraft), but rather as a really 1st rate learning process. Just following your thought process and work on the side wall instruments makes it well worth while.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

thanks chaps :)/>

..got a few hours benchtime this weekend, so another small step forward...

..I cut out the kit weapons panel switch and fixed it to the cockpit false wall.. also added some switch gear from our PE..

WIP051_zpsf7ccad66.jpg

..the main sidewall is made from a scrap of thick card which needed some rectangular holes made in it..

WIP052_zpse28fd00a.jpg

..the edges of these then needed bevelling as the real thing is some sort of pressing...

WIP053_zpsb96f7687.jpg

...scribed in some access doors, added handles and a hinge and started drilling out holes around the edges for the fixing screws...

WIP054_zps90240c56.jpg

..eventually had the false wall and pressed side panel finished up...

WIP057_zpsad58dc92.jpg

...checking layout with a little dry-fit..

WIP056_zps2755f4d3.jpg

WIP058_zps3c46dcd5.jpg

WIP059_zps34b4d561.jpg

..thats it for now - back soon..

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale

Those side walls are absolutely amazing. The level of detail, and how you accomplished it so far, looks simple, yet it requires skills and a mind set that most of us just don't possess. Will be applying some of your techniques to my future builds.

Joel

• 4 weeks later...

evening ladies...

been a while since I have had any time at the bench (as I have been working on a real beauty decal set for the new 1/24 Airfix Typhoon..) but today got a little bit done..

...can't believe it's a month since my last post - where does the time go?

...anyways..I had made some of the sidewall instrument panels and wanted to get the instruments kinda lined up now while they were still flat - so a scrap bit of card was used with the appropriate Luftwaffe 1/32 dials...

WIP063_zps3d1f83c3.jpg

..then built it up into the console found in my references...

WIP064_zps973afe19.jpg

..also built up the sidewall and other areas...

WIP065_zps64d57d5e.jpg

..and a dry fit to get the depth right...

WIP066_zpsec8a3662.jpg

..I used some stiff brass as the basis for the upper panel above the pull-down seat...

WIP067_zpsfac825af.jpg

..and again laid out the correct instruments to match my references..

WIP068_zps20b0219a.jpg

..after carefully glazing the panels I had an assembly I was happy with...

WIP069_zps0877e4cc.jpg

..and another dry-fit - still got more glazing & work to do..

WIP070_zps5781f2a1.jpg

WIP071_zpsc09c3965.jpg

WIP072_zpsc07397a0.jpg

..next up the fold down seat...

until then TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale