Incoming 1/48 Mirage III/5 kit

I guess it would also depend whether it comes with the Doppler fairing moulded on or separate.

It's separate. See Pacheco's post.

There is the camouflage similar to the picture that you posted of the R2Z, and at least one of them had a shark mouth over the Doppler fairing

Specially made for Saul :)

Can anyone tell me the difference between the IIIR and the IIIRD? Ive been looking at photos of them online and can't see any difference.

the D is for Doppler... so there is a big rounded bump under the nose. like on this one(or that one)

Edited by mingwin

So I guess the Mirage 5 and variants with canards will be in another boxing?

Sprue photos from Shizuoka show that the canards come on a common sprue. There's the plastic to do a Brazilian modernized MIIIEBR AFAIK.

The same photos also shows Mirage 5' nose pieces. So we should expect another boxing.

Indeed but I'd rather say "Nesher/Dagger nose pieces". Mirage 5 is a very vague designation that covered very different looking aircrafts. Here's a M5SDE...

m5sde-egypte_redimensionner.jpg

Source: http://www.flyfanfor...=3713&start=340

AFAIK Kinetic didn't do all types of noses like:

- AĂŻda II - ready nose (similar to the Nesher/Dagger nose but with a pointy dielectric nose tip) of M5COA, M5G, etc

- all metal with pitot at nose tip of M5BA, M5P, etc

Edited by Laurent
  • 3 weeks later...

Indeed but I'd rather say "Nesher/Dagger nose pieces". Mirage 5 is a very vague designation that covered very different looking aircrafts. Here's a M5SDE...

m5sde-egypte_redimensionner.jpg

Source: http://www.flyfanfor...=3713&start=340

AFAIK Kinetic didn't do all types of noses like:

- AĂŻda II - ready nose (similar to the Nesher/Dagger nose but with a pointy dielectric nose tip) of M5COA, M5G, etc

- all metal with pitot at nose tip of M5BA, M5P, etc

Originally, Mirage V wasn't a very vague description. It was a custom designed attack version for Israel (Mirage 5J) wich deleted the all-weather Cyrano II radar, replacing the dieletric nose for a metal one. After the 6-Day war, France embargoed the delivery of the planes, delivering them to ALA as Mirage VF. Through spying, Israel obtained the blueprints, producing an identical, non-licensed version (we would call it a "pirate" copy today), naming them "Nesher", latter sold to Argentina as Daggers. So, Neshers were really a Mirage 5J, the "father" of all Mirage Vs and the expertise acquired producing the Neshers were latter used to produce the Kfirs

Like the seemlingly endless Mirage III suffixes, wich only differece was the country they were sold to, came the endless Mirage V sufixes. Of course, to create a little bit more confusion, came versions like M5SDE and VPA, more similar to the Mirage III than to the V.

1415673385[/url]' post='2662361']Through spying, Israel obtained the blueprints, producing an identical, non-licensed version (we would call it a "pirate" copy today), naming them "Nesher", latter sold to Argentina as Daggers. So, Neshers were really a Mirage 5J, the "father" of all Mirage Vs and the expertise acquired producing the Neshers were latter used to produce the Kfirs

That was indeed the story told at the time.It's been since proved wrong.

Through spying, Israel obtained the blueprints, producing an identical, non-licensed version (we would call it a "pirate" copy today), naming them "Nesher", latter sold to Argentina as Daggers.

Recent litterature (Rivas/Cicalesi "Latin American Mirages", fourth book of the Mirage monography, ...) doesn't support this. The embargo that prevented the M5J delivery was on complete aircrafts but not on spare parts... The spying stuff was just a cover story, the Neshers have been shipped. The "Latin American Mirages" book has two Dagger detail photos where there are AĂ©rospatiale ID plates, not IAI...

Recent litterature (Rivas/Cicalesi "Latin American Mirages", fourth book of the Mirage monography, ...) doesn't support this. The embargo that prevented the M5J delivery was on complete aircrafts but not on spare parts... The spying stuff was just a cover story, the Neshers have been shipped. The "Latin American Mirages" book has two Dagger detail photos where there are AĂ©rospatiale ID plates, not IAI...

Gotta love the French!

I had long assumed that this was the case but never read anything that conclusively rebutted the espionage story.

Gotta love the French!

I had long assumed that this was the case but never read anything that conclusively rebutted the espionage story.

The first time I read there wasn't an espionage plot was here. Aerospatiale ID plates in the Daggers seem conclusive about were the planes were done