Incoming 1/48 Mirage III/5 kit

Mirage 5 just means it's an export Mirage. No specific shape features. Please tell us what precise version you're interested in.

Particularly the 5BA and the 5F.

Edited by Hoosfoos

Particularly the 5BA and the 5F.

You can't do any of those out of the current Kinetic kit. To do a 5BA you'd need an aftermarket nose, parabrake fairing, keel (with a tail hook), etc. Wingman/Kinetic will probably release a Nesher/Dagger boxing with a "5J nose" (under nose pitot with blunt nose tip).

Edited by Laurent

Suggestion: How 'bout a new thread compiling all the specific bits and pieces needed to build each specific Mirage variant. Either using the existing kit parts (which should help sort out the instruction sheet errors) or grafting on existing aftermarket items (like the Eagle Designs noses). I suspect we should be able to build the vast majority of single seat Mirages from the Kinetic kit and some minor tweaks, but the family is such an opaque mix of sub-types and batch-specific parts, it gets seriously confusing in a hurry.

ie: For a 5BA, use this nose, this fairing, this tail, those missile rails...

For a 5SDE, use that nose, this fairing, that tail, these landing gear doors...

etc, etc.

Also... Anyone up for another Mirageathon? :)

I thought I read that the 5 was originally designed on behalf of the Israelis who felt that the original Cyrano radar in the III was useless.

The Cyrano I bis of the Mirage IIIC was nicknamed the Tefal Radar (Tefal is a brand of teflon covered frying pans). The radar heated a lot but couldn't keep the target locked (it wouldn't stick to it).

It never got delivered to them because of French political considerations.

That's the official story. Current litterature sheds some light on the unofficial story.

Edited by Laurent

That's the official story. Current litterature sheds some light on the unofficial story.

Did I not read somewhere recently that the Argentinian Daggers were actually found to have Dassault maker's placards inside them? I'm still tickled that my long held assertion that South Africa's Cheetah C's were actually re-manufactured Kfirs rather than Mirages has been verified. The numbers and other features never added up. I think Israel's Mirage story has some way to go yet to full clarity, but I live in hope!

Did I not read somewhere recently that the Argentinian Daggers were actually found to have Dassault maker's placards inside them?

http://www.harpia-pu.../index-LAM.html . Page 33. Photos of AĂ©rospatiale plates (subcontractor) on two Daggers. Text:

Salvay arrived in Israel in May 1970, just in time to witness the clandestine delivery of the first Mirage 5Js from a newly built batch of 51 aircraft of French manufacture... With extensive US support, the French had decided to deliver Mirage 5s in the form of knockdown kits - despite the arms embargo. Once in Israel, the aircraft were assembled by IAI, under close supervision from Rockwell engineers, who also helped install Atar 09C engines into a number of IDF/AF Mirage IIICJ interceptors... The first Mirage 5Js entered service with the IDF/AF under the local designation Ra'am M in October 1971. Although all wore the manufacturer's plates of the French company AĂ©rospatiale, they were officially heralded as the 'first fighter jets manufactured in Israel'....

More infos in http://www.aircraft-...l-aviation/2060

Edited by Laurent
You're lacking the nose to do a Mirage 5 - unless you count the Mirage 5SDE which was in practice a Mirage IIIE bought by the Saudis for the Egyptian Air Force. The Eagle Designs Nesher nose seems to fit rather well though, and the Esci/Italeri kit nose should be a rasonable fit too.

During Kinetic test shoots, we could see the nose parts to do a 5F/Nesher/Dagger (upper left corner of this picture). We must to be alert for further news from Kinetic or Wingman:

01hr_zps42df78d0.jpg

Bye for now...

Got mine the other day, overall reasonably impressed. fantastic that the RPK10 was included which was pretty much the RAAF's SOP bomb carrier for the strike role A bit of a disappointment that only MK82Snakeyes were provided be nice if some slick MK82's were provided. Additionally its a shame that the Finned 286Gall (1300l) tanks wernt provided. Certainly in the RAAF the 1300l tank was used more often that the 374(1700l) tank.

The 1700l tank was considered a Ferry tank and not a combat tank. In addition a 1700l tank could not be carried on the centreline in the RAAF.

The 1300l tanks could be carried on all stations. In the RAAF's case both the 1300l and 1700l; tanks were fitted with the fins with vertical endcaps and mounted on the long pylon.

Image below (thats me in A3-7) showing the 286Gall finned tank ... The RAAF's standard Combat big tank. For what its worth the RAAF's standard Air to mud config was 1 x Centreline 286g(1300l) tank 2 x RPK10 with either 4 x MK82 or 2 x GBU 12

seanina37.jpg

Edited by Ivank

Suggestion: How 'bout a new thread compiling all the specific bits and pieces needed to build each specific Mirage variant. Either using the existing kit parts (which should help sort out the instruction sheet errors) or grafting on existing aftermarket items (like the Eagle Designs noses). I suspect we should be able to build the vast majority of single seat Mirages from the Kinetic kit and some minor tweaks, but the family is such an opaque mix of sub-types and batch-specific parts, it gets seriously confusing in a hurry.

ie: For a 5BA, use this nose, this fairing, this tail, those missile rails...

For a 5SDE, use that nose, this fairing, that tail, these landing gear doors...

etc, etc.

GRREAT Idea

During Kinetic test shoots, we could see the nose parts to do a 5F/Nesher/Dagger (upper left corner of this picture). We must to be alert for further news from Kinetic or Wingman:

01hr_zps42df78d0.jpg

Bye for now...

What's the difference between the 2nd nose from the top and the nose you see on the bottom?

One is obviously the Mirage IIIE/A/O nose but is there any difference between the two?

Edited by Hoosfoos
What's the difference between the 2nd nose from the top and the nose you see on the bottom?

One is obviously the Mirage IIIE/A/O nose but is there any difference between the two?

The bottom one is IIIE surely. The other seems to be more longer and pointed.. like Belgian VB or Venezuelan 50V? Not sure.

Bye for now...

The top nose appears to be a Nesher/Mirage 5F nose with the blunt cone. The 2nd or 4th from the top would either be the IIIE nose or the IIIS used by the Swiss. This version had a radome similar to the IIIE, but not identical. There are parts on the sprues for a forthcoming IIIS; the longer nose wheel well and gear doors, canards (for later ones) and a chaff/flare dispenser.

Jens

The 2nd or 4th from the top would either be the IIIE nose or the IIIS used by the Swiss. This version had a radome similar to the IIIE, but not identical.

The 2nd may be the modernized IIIS nose: there seems to be some strakes at the base of the pitot part.

The long gone (and sorely missed) World Airpower Journal had a two part article that discussed in detail all the different Mirage versions. Volumes 14 & 15. Great reference for anyone who is trying to figure out the differences between the dozens of Mirage versions.

The 2nd may be the modernized IIIS nose: there seems to be some strakes at the base of the pitot part.

Agree.. IIIS is an option very reasonable since Kinetic developed Chaff and intake/canard pieces for this variant.

Bye for now...

Edited by El pibe vitina
The long gone (and sorely missed) World Airpower Journal had a two part article that discussed in detail all the different Mirage versions. Volumes 14 & 15. Great reference for anyone who is trying to figure out the differences between the dozens of Mirage versions.

I also recommend Aviation Classics 17: All whole Mirage/Kfir familiy members in only one issue!

Bye for now...

Edited by El pibe vitina

Can you make an Egyptian SDR or maybe SDE from this kit?

I haven't studied the reconnaissance versions, but as the Mirage 5SDEs were essentially IIIEs, I would be inclined to think so. That's my plan for mine anyway.

Jens

Does any one know is the plug for the EA which extends the front of the fin (for that version) the same dimensions as on the Mirage F-1 models vertical fin for Iraq and Libya????? If so I want to graft onto an F-1 ( im lazy)

Yes Jeff, the dorsal fin is included in Kinetic IIIE box, but Im not sure about the same dimensions to use in F1. Some modelers who wish to do an EA ask me about If this piece is included, and the answer is in this picture:

kinetic_mir3_03_zps03bfcd64.jpg

Bye for now...

Got my 3 kits yesterday, can't believe we have new IIIE kit , way to go kinetic!

Now lets wait for aftermarket avalanche;-)

I am waiting for the Caracal decals first, my three kits are all planned for crazy Aussie IIIO camouflages

P

Edited by Petarvu

Hi fellow modellers,

I am Sharuk Ali from Pakistan. I've modelling since 6 years now but due to lack of modelling stuff in my country I couldn't make it like professionals. Check my Mirage IIIEL (ex Labnese) acquired by Pakistan Airforce in early 2000 in low viz camo currently in service with Pakistan Airforce. My father brought this kit from abroad 6 year back. Hope you will appreciate.

Regards,

Sharuk Ali

Email: sharuk_ali@yahoo.com

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/sharuk_ali/media/S6300002_zps9f055bb6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Edited by Sharuk Ali