Life is really short...

A good friend of mine who just turned 56 is in the hospital with a major stroke. No movement in his right side, and unable to speak. Prognosis uncertain.

Life is short - enjoy every day. And quit smoking.

Don't give up hope, my dad had a major stroke at age 58 and lost all motor skills on his right side, he had to relearn everything walk,talk you name it, it was a long road back for him and probably regained 90% of the motor functions he lost and lived to be 85 and this was back in 1970 I'm sure treatment protocols have improved a lot since then.

Hope he pulls through. My mom had a stroke in 2002, got worse then

went into nursing home and kept getting fever, couldn't speak so they

took her to hospital....died a few weeks later of pancreatic cancer...

then I had mini stroke in 2006... and started passing blood in urine a

few months later...bladder cancer...wasnt aggressive and had tumor removed

and been cancer free since. Sad because I quit smoking in 1990 and didn't get cancer till

2006...really hope your friend pulls through Jennings...I sure know from my

own experiences what it feels like to be knocking on deaths door. Anyone out

there that smokes QUIT!---John BTW if my luck holds out I may make 61 next month! :)

Edited by john53

Thoughts are with you and your friend. is he at your hospital Jennings?

No, he's in Roanoke at the "mothership" (800-bed Level 1 trauma center). Fortunately he got TPA well within the 3 hour window, but unfortunately, as more often than not, it simply didn't work to break up the clot(s).

Wise words. I'm terrible at remembering movie titles, but one I saw recently involved a guy who could travel back in time and relive various events, even changing the outcomes.

While the premise of the movie was improbable and pure wishful thinking, there were some very insightful observations made by his father (I paraphrase, summarizing the gist of his thoughts):

-live every moment as if it were your last, and as if you could never do it over

-nothing can be perfect, no matter how many do-overs you get

-try to see the wonder and the good in everything that happens to you, because that is how you will be truly happy.

My mother had that kind of philosophy, until she died of a heart attack at age 71. I know she had no regrets, because she always managed to find pleasure in all of life's events. Oh, and she quit smoking 10 years before she died; if she had quit earlier or never started, she would still be around today, almost 10 years later.

ALF

Oh, and she quit smoking 10 years before she died; if she had quit earlier or never started, she would still be around today, almost 10 years later.

ALF

I know what you mean Alf. I have quit smoking - even though I was an occasional smoker - 5 years ago, and started it 15 years ago. Believe me, I regret every day that I've |"lost" smoking.

Sometimes, we can be really stupid.

Jennings, I wish your friend to have a fast recovery.

Hoping that your friend has a complete recovery.

While I never had a stroke, I've had one major heart attack nearly 21 years ago. I'm only here because my neighbor is the local fire chief. Spent 6 weeks in the hospital, and never thought I was going home. Stopped smoking 2 weeks before, but the damage was already done as I smoked 2 packs/day for more then 25 years. I've been smoke free since. Had throat cancer at age 7 and skin cancer 6 years ago. Been dealing with retina disease, and I'm now legally blind in my left eye (just makes modeling that much more of a challenge). So I know that life can be tough. The trick is to just keep on fighting. I'm still here, and still fighting.

Joel

Update: Kenny has said a couple of words and is able to eat puréed/thickened foods with assistance. Still essentially paralyzed on his right side though. A very long way to go but moving in the right direction...

Update: Kenny has said a couple of words and is able to eat puréed/thickened foods with assistance. Still essentially paralyzed on his right side though. A very long way to go but moving in the right direction...

That's good news. It's little steps one at a time at the beginning. The goal is to just move forward. Went through that type of rehab with my major heart attack.

Joel

Good news is always welcome