Old 1/32 Revell F-4J Phantom

The old Revell F-4 is pretty basic when compared to the Tamiya or even the new tool Revell F-4's. That being said, I built my first one back in the early 70's still enjoy building it. Great platform for working on your scratch-building skills.

I've currently got one on my bench and am building it as a "curbside" Blue Angel F-4J. Mostly adding scratch-built details with a few resin pieces included. Here's a shot of the WIP cockpit, compared against the stock kit parts.

1-32BlueAngel022.jpg

Mark

I begged for, and got this kit back in the 70's for Christmas. The box top art alone is worth the purchase (the original with the fired Sparrow, and the VF-33 MiG killer off the America). It's been long ago obsoleted, but the sentiment factor means I have one in the stash to be build straight out of the box, as is. It was so cool. In many ways, still is.

Rick L.

My Dad was a Phantom Phixer from the old days. He had both the 1/32 F-4E and the J models. I was 5 years old when he was building them and that was my first exposure to scale models and I guess that's where i got the bug for the hobby. I can remember the smell of the Testors paint he used and how complex the kits looked with all those parts. That was 37 years ago.

Remember, you don't "have" to do anything in terms of aftermarket. You could simply build it OOB strictly for the fun of it. In spite of what people may say, there's nothing wrong with that.

Eric

Thanks...Thats exactly what I use to do back in the mid 60s when I was in my pre teens and getting into this

madness. Basicly now I would only add seats or spruce up seats and interior with scratch building. In '64 and '65 I

had no idea to wash the plastic, fill the seams with putty, mask the canopy(did it free hand with a brush), what a raised panel

line was from an engraved one, an air brush was something my older sisters used on their hair, and aftermarket decals

were ones you "stole" from another kit.---John

Edited by john53

I remember those good old days when I'd fill a seam by simply brushing on a thick coat of paint. If I could still see the seam, I'd add more paint.

I remember working on the 1/72 Testor's B-58. I wanted to build it with the gear up and I felt too lazy to glue the gear doors up. Instead, I simply used Scotch tape to cover the gear well openings and then painted right over the top of it. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :whistle:

Eric

I remember those good old days when I'd fill a seam by simply brushing on a thick coat of paint. If I could still see the seam, I'd add more paint.

I remember working on the 1/72 Testor's B-58. I wanted to build it with the gear up and I felt too lazy to glue the gear doors up. Instead, I simply used Scotch tape to cover the gear well openings and then painted right over the top of it. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :whistle:/>/>

Eric

LMAO! I tried that kinda stuff....used a ton of glue to fill seams then wondered why the plastic was melting and wrinkling!

I definitely learned a lot by trial and error. I really learned when I got back into modelling in late 80s and started reading

magazines and then lurking at modeling sites! Found lots of good advise and Hasegawa, bit of a change from Revell, Monogram, Lindberg, Hawk

and AMT.

Edited by john53