So I flew in a Fouga Magister!

Hey guys!!!

Well I have not done much modelling lately have been doing young man stuff biggrin.gif only a few weeks to my exams start so....

And this tour is a selfgiven reward for being in school for so long time!!!

So tomorrow at 10, I'm going to fly in a Fouga Maagister w00t.gif

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy tuesday to all of you!!!!

Best regards

Mikkel

Edited by MIG Mikkel

Hey agian, I'm now back from my flight...

I'm sorting out the video and pictures :)

But it did not go very well, it's my second time in the air, ever, first time was in a passegner jet soooo I kinda passed out in the loop :( and got a bit airsick crying.gif

When the new AMK kit is aviable then I'm going to build one :D/>

Good to see you picked the proper brand/kit. ;)

Berkut, in no way whatsoever associated with AMK. :whistle:

And congrats with the ride. Did you pass out for long?

Thanks Berkut, it was a niceeeeeeee ride :D

hehehe :D

Well Berkut I was out for about 7-9 seconds.... That was not fun at all :D

When I woke up it was like having the flu and the worst hung over in your life time + you are upside down so you brain goes FUUUUUUUUUUUU....... like you are sitting but if you look up you see the ground.... not good for the brain I tell ya :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey agian, I'm now back from my flight...

I'm sorting out the video and pictures :)/>

But it did not go very well, it's my second time in the air, ever, first time was in a passegner jet soooo I kinda passed out in the loop :(/> and got a bit airsick crying.gif

Sorry to hear it didn't go well, but I'm still jealous. You've been able to enjoy the anticipation, and the excitement on the day. Even covered in sick and chagrined at falling unconscious, I would be stoked to have this as part of my history. I salute you, and hand you a sick bag.

Nice pics. Sometimes I think anything short of a bubble canopy must give a restricted view, but this makes it look as though even substantial framing doesn't subtract much from the visual experience.

I get terrible motion sickness, so if it's any consolation, my twenty year career in marine science saw me regularly covered in my own vomit. Granted, I was getting paid for being covered in vomit, but I could have done without the discomfort and the preceding nausea. The worst of it occurred at depth, while diving with an Aga full face mask. If anyone ever tries to tell you their marine science career is glamorous, think of my ignominious ascent from fifteen metres, tilting my head so as to keep the chunky bits out of the exhaust port, and the long wait at the surface for the boat to collect me, during which I had to keep my mask on to breathe safely in the heavy chop. Curse you, oversensitive vestibular system.

How many g's can a Fouga Magister pull? Didn't think they could pull enough to induce GLOC.

Glad you still enjoyed the flight, sound like a truly memorable experience.

Question for the folks on this thread - do the ex-military jets fly with live ejection seats or are they disarmed (and if so, why)?

Question for the folks on this thread - do the ex-military jets fly with live ejection seats or are they disarmed (and if so, why)?

some do, some don't. My seats are disarmed...not my choice, they were disarmed when I bought it.

The pyros for the seats and canopy jettison can be expensive and problematic to maintain. Most L-39's here in the U.S. have cold seats for that reason-

Pig

How many g's can a Fouga Magister pull? Didn't think they could pull enough to induce GLOC.

Glad you still enjoyed the flight, sound like a truly memorable experience.

In Australia, ex-military jets fly with the seats disarmed. As I understand it, this is because the government doesn't trust civilians with the bits that go bang or the maintenance to keep things safe.

Philosophically, I think this outlines a pragmatic boundary - the nation needs military pilots, it doesn't need people who just love flying in jets. Ejector seats for the former, no ejection seats for the latter. Ah, well. I'll happily fly on a cold seat, if anyone's offering me a lift*.

Supplementary question: what were the last fighter aircraft to be built without ejection seats as a standard fitting?

*I bet you can't make me vomit. No, not even in your F-18E. No way. What, you'll take me for a flight to prove me wrong? Okay. You're on (tee hee).

Edited by worldslaziestbusker

In Australia, ex-military jets fly with the seats disarmed. As I understand it, this is because the government doesn't trust civilians with the bits that go bang or the maintenance to keep things safe.

Philosophically, I think this outlines a pragmatic boundary - the nation needs military pilots, it doesn't need people who just love flying in jets. Ejector seats for the former, no ejection seats for the latter. Ah, well. I'll happily fly on a cold seat, if anyone's offering me a lift*.

Supplementary question: what were the last fighter aircraft to be built without ejection seats as a standard fitting?

*I bet you can't make me vomit. No, not even in your F-18E. No way. What, you'll take me for a flight to prove me wrong? Okay. You're on (tee hee).

Interestingly the CA-27 Sabre that's doing the airshow rounds, owned by the RAAF but operated by Temora does have an active bang seat.. It's one of those grey areas I think, as it's operated by the military but on the civi register, hence the bang seat.. http://www.ausairpower.net/HISTORICAL-RAAF/CAC-CA-27-Avon-Sabre-Mk.32-A94-983-Wolf-Cocklin-5.jpg <<<Said lovely bird :D

Interestingly the CA-27 Sabre that's doing the airshow rounds, owned by the RAAF but operated by Temora does have an active bang seat.. It's one of those grey areas I think, as it's operated by the military but on the civi register, hence the bang seat.. http://www.ausairpower.net/HISTORICAL-RAAF/CAC-CA-27-Avon-Sabre-Mk.32-A94-983-Wolf-Cocklin-5.jpg <<<Said lovely bird :D/>

Happy to stand corrected.

Unhappy that that sabre only has one seat, and therefore can't heed my hitch hiking thumb.

some do, some don't. My seats are disarmed...not my choice, they were disarmed when I bought it.

The pyros for the seats and canopy jettison can be expensive and problematic to maintain. Most L-39's here in the U.S. have cold seats for that reason-

Pig

Thanks Pig. I thought I remember a story from back in the 60's where a civilian pilot ejected from an F-86 at an airshow and the jet then crashed into the stands and killed a good number of people. After that, the FAA mandated that all warbirds fly with disarmed seats.

Must have been one of those aviation myths.

Thanks Pig. I thought I remember a story from back in the 60's where a civilian pilot ejected from an F-86 at an airshow and the jet then crashed into the stands and killed a good number of people. After that, the FAA mandated that all warbirds fly with disarmed seats.

Must have been one of those aviation myths.

Yes. I flew a buddies L-39 last summer with hot seats. They are out there-

Cheers

Pig

Hey guys!!!!

Thanks for the nice words! and it was a real day to remember!!!

I think I passed out because I "forgot" to hold my breath when we entered the loop. The strange thing was that the Fouga is pressuerized cabin and when I was trying to breath it felt like running in head wind (does it make sense my writing??) or that the air was blown into face and you really had to suck the O2 in.... damn that didn't came out right :P anyhow still the must awesome thing I've tried so far!

The view in the Fouga is really great actually:

P4160627_zps389329ef.jpg

P4160626_zps9862c9b7.jpg

A link to some of me picies, I like taking pics. If you have time please check 'em out!

My pictures

The last pic I imagened my self as a gunner in a Huey..... went dakdakdakdakdakdakdak.. :D

Mr. Busker:

I did not vomit before we landed, but I tell ya it was clouse!!!! When we landed I walked around a bit, not feeling great at all. I then walked over to the Fouga, and looked into the cockpit. The artificial horzion was spining' like a dog trying to catch it's own tail! That was more than I could take.... gr_barf.gif

If you don't mind me asking, what does a Marine Scientist do? :D sounds really awesome apart from the vomit!

Pete!

Oh I would love to!!! if ya have sick backs... I'm almost done with college and have half a year before joining the army :) Hopefully I'll pay ya a visit!!! Might have to do some g training.

Kero,

Sweet baby jesus on in a tub! you have been flying in a MiG-29!!! I would give my left kindy to try that!!!

11bee.

If I remeber correctly the pilot said around 6g's but I'm not sure!

If I get an A for my last exam I'll try to paraschutin'!

Mr. Busker:

I did not vomit before we landed, but I tell ya it was clouse!!!! When we landed I walked around a bit, not feeling great at all. I then walked over to the Fouga, and looked into the cockpit. The artificial horzion was spining' like a dog trying to catch it's own tail! That was more than I could take.... gr_barf.gif

If you don't mind me asking, what does a Marine Scientist do? :D/> sounds really awesome apart from the vomit!

Marine science encompasses the biological, chemical and physical study of our seas. My particular stake in that realm was examining seafloor organism assemblages, from estuaries to the ocean depths.

Nice, good quality pics. Glad you enjoyed the ride.

About the bang seats, the Fouga Magister never had them, even in French Air Force service. There were a few notable exceptions (e.g. the Israeli Tzukit was upgraded to include ejection seats and weapons at one time), but those brave souls in France, Belgium, and other nations who operated the Fouga usually flew without ejection seats.

That's why I did a double take at the first pic; no helmet.

ALF