Topic pretty self explanatory..I'm adding a 1/48 b-58 to the stash to go with the new Caracal sheet. I'm wondering just how many bottles of polished aluminum Alclad should I pick up? I will use other shades over the polished aluminum for variation, but I want enough of the base to go over everything.

That's a big piece of plastic to cover. I just finished a large project that took a bit more than three bottles for the basse. You might want to get four or maybe even five bottles, just in case. Even if you get more than you need, it's better than running out and the store not having any for a while like around here. Besides, you'll use the rest eventually.

Two should do it, if you put light coats of the Polished Aluminum down. They say that a bottle will cover a 1/48 B-17, and the B-58 is just a little bit less surface area than that, but two bottles should cover if you have a good primer coat and really want it to shine.

One more than you have. :bandhead2:/>

This is the correct answer.

I would also suggest using Tamiya's AS Spray cans (pick your favorite Mettalic color) and just mask off different areas and panels to use Alcad for some variation.

Ive used ALCLAD in the past with great results with it using ALCLAD enamal gloss black, Tamiya gloss black, and Mr Color gloss black oversprayed with Polished Alumminum, my best resutls came from using Mr Color gloss black with leveling thinner. Sprayed/misted the Polished Alumminum at 12psi two coats almost chrome like finish then sealed with future. Given the size of the B-58 (a beast), I would have at the ready 6 bottels, 4 will do it, but having extra is best...trust me you will use the remaining bottles for your next NMF build, it's awesome stuff!!! Let your base coat rest/out gas for 48hrs before sealing it with future and let the future set up and cure for 24hrs before masking, the Polished Alumminum is finiky. Good luck!!!

Edited by LZ82

I don't know if your ready to drop $50.00 in paint, but 5-6 bottles is a bit much.

If you intend to use other colors, I would suggest maybe 2 bottles, just to make you feel good, but I'm sure 1 will be enough.

You just need thin coats, your not (or shouldn't be) laying down heavy cover cotes, just enough to cover your base paint, I recommend Tamiya TS-14 Black from a spray can for your shiny aluminum, and Tamiya Fine Grey Primer for anything else, you can spray your Alclad on these within the hour of spraying, no need to wait a week/month for it to cure...

This B-36 was sprayed with the 2 Tamiya colors plus Alclad Shiny Aluminum, white aluminum and Floquil Shiny Silver, I did not empty any one of these bottles.

Curt

005_zpsbc48c8a1.jpg

Edited by Netz