Spinning tires?

So I'm wondering on ideas and thoughts about making a car's tires look like they are in motion. Building an F1 and am thinking of making it look as though it's taking a turn. 1/20 scale so the wheels n tires are decent sized.

I might have one wheel locked up with some mild cotton smoke. But what are your thoughts on making the others look realistic? Or if anyone knows of builds that have done similar post them up.

I had a similar idea, but haven't seen it done or tried it yet - I was thinking of taking clear acrylic sheet and turning it to the wheel profile, then finish it with 600 or 1200 grit to leave it foggy, then spray diluted wheel colors on it (I want to do it on the all carbon 911GT1, which has the gold center and aluminum outside).

There was an old FSM article for motorcycles where he cut all but one spoke and hid it behind the forks - it looked cool, but obviously won't work for cars.....

My current thinking is...

Mount the tires on a dremel or screw gun or some other rotary tool. Spin tires and then lightly dry brush white where the goodyear markings would be.

Also thought bout cutting clear discs and then in the same fashion mounting and painting them in the color of the wheels (black in this case) but then also do some slight dark grey dry brushing or something. Something to give it some definition.

I'll have to try n mock one up sometime here soon and see how it looks.

Here's what I ended up doing on a rally car.

DSC_7392lr.jpg

I filled the space between the spokes with 5- minute epoxy. Once it dried I airbrushed a soft edge to the spokes and added a bit of color where the wheel decals would've been. The only thing I couldn't really figure out was the tire tread.

DSC_7407lr.jpg

Next time I think I'll take a piece of clear acrylic rod that has the same OD as the wheel/tire combined and chuck it into a drill (poor mans lathe) and shape it to match the sidewall and rim lip.

But for the most part I think the rally car looks like it's moving!

Interested in what you come up with!!

Steve

• 4 weeks later...