The ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs

It seems like they re release this kit once ever couple of years. I think its popular enough to just keep producing it.

Not exactly given how expensive it is and the parts count. Plus, keeping it in production ties up a LOT of resources and given its price, not a lot of people like to jump on it if they think its going to be around awhile. So, the strategy FineMolds uses is a sound one as they produce enough to meet demand so the vendors aren't stuck with too large a backlog of very expensive kits in their warehouses.

Wouldn't pay half that much for it, and I'm a Star Wars fan. I guess they are aiming for a very select market.

Ok, I lied. I dropped $100 on the big Trek E. So I guess that's about where I draw a line in the sand.

Edited by Scott Smith

Wouldn't pay half that much for it, and I'm a Star Wars fan. I guess they are aiming for a very select market.

Ok, I lied. I dropped $100 on the big Trek E. So I guess that's about where I draw a line in the sand.

That's a very reasonable price considering. I've seen them sell for upwards of 300$. It's a 900+ parts count kit and is one of the most spectacular builds around. Very easily worth 150$ shipping will be another 40$+ though I'm betting.

I think the parts count is that high because Finemolds tried to stay true to the kitbashed nature of the original prop. ILM startet with a plain hull and kitbashed dozens of normal model kits for little greeblies that busied up the surface of the prop. This is recreated here, where basically no detail is molded to the hull, but everything is separetely glued onto it, just like they did with the original Falcon prop back in the 70's

I think the parts count is that high because Finemolds tried to stay true to the kitbashed nature of the original prop. ILM startet with a plain hull and kitbashed dozens of normal model kits for little greeblies that busied up the surface of the prop. This is recreated here, where basically no detail is molded to the hull, but everything is separetely glued onto it, just like they did with the original Falcon prop back in the 70's

Ah; Good point.

I remember as a kid my modeler friends and I would play 'name that part and what model it's from' w00t.gif !

900 piece kit on a model that small blink.gif ?!!

Why does the term 'over-engineered' come to mind?

And it appears 800 of those pieces won't even be seen.

Looks like a nice kit, however.

If 900 parts on a kit that size (read large), is over-engineered, then every modern tooled armour kit out there is waaaaay over-engineered with parts counts at 500-1000 for kits 1/4 the size of the falcon, so...

Besides, I look at higher parts count (with a purpose) as more build time, so more bang for the buck.

I have the FM Falcon and all the parts will clearly be able to be seen with 99% of them external. It's clearly not your cup of tea, but I love the kit :)

Marc B.

Edited by Modelmkr

Trust me when I say this is NOT a small model. Also trust me when I say that the design of the kit results in one first class replica when built and painted properly. Here are images of my build from a few years back. This was an out of the box build and the only additional things I did involved using a Dremel to add the obvious battle damage points on the hull (such as the soldering iron burn marks near the radar dish and the two scrapes underneath). It was one of the most fun models I've ever put together and well worth the money I spent for it.

finfalcon5.jpg

falcondetail1.jpg

topturret1.jpg

finfalcon2.jpg

finfalcon6.jpg

Trust me when I say this is NOT a small model. Also trust me when I say that the design of the kit results in one first class replica when built and painted properly. Here are images of my build from a few years back. This was an out of the box build and the only additional things I did involved using a Dremel to add the obvious battle damage points on the hull (such as the soldering iron burn marks near the radar dish and the two scrapes underneath). It was one of the most fun models I've ever put together and well worth the money I spent for it.

finfalcon2.jpg

finfalcon6.jpg

Beautiful model 377.gif !

Awesome finish on it as well.

I'll admit, my definition of a big model is the 1/72nd scale B-52D and the 1/48th scale B-1B.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

I'll admit, my definition of a big model is the 1/72nd scale B-52D and the 1/48th scale B-1B.

Box is only slightly smaller than the B-1 box! And bigger than the 1/32 B-17.

4E131DBD-00F6-489A-A66D-2726A10AC038_zpskmmymmlh.jpg

That is an awesome build.

I'm scared of it. Maybe if I bought a second I wouldn't be as afraid. Plus I have nowhere to put it currently.

Yes that price is reasonable for this bird. Hi Jay! I stopped building my 1/144 when I couldn't match your paintjob! : ) Like you mentioned, it's just too easy to overdo the weathering and that's what happened to mine. The radial weathering streaks alone were a nightmare for me (Did you mark them with pencil before spraying on the streaks or even used a stencil/template?) My 1/72 stays in hibernation until my painting skills are up to par with yours.

Remember though the price is good but it's easily going to be $40+ to ship it from HLJ. But if you have other orders you should be able to group them into it for no extra cost.

I'm about to ship the new metal gear ray kit that's supposedly pretty big and ts going to cost about 40$ but I have 3 other kits going into the box that aren't raising the price at all.

*Runs into the thread* "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MANDIBLES!!!" * runs out, giggling evilly.*

That question should warrant 1,000 lashes with a wet noodle, if not a bunch of severe looks.

I've wanted one since the first release... I'm just trying to come up with a justification/bargaining plan for the wife.