CF-104 Dual Seater

Thank you sirs.

ALF...the wash is simply some of Teri's acrylic craft paint diluted very thinly and brushed on so it leave just a hint of 'dirt'. Although it doesn't show very well in the photos, I gave the seats a wash too. It helps provide a bit of depth.

Not a whole lot of progress since my last update. I really hate how life gets in the way. Having said that, if Mrs. AX 365 if happy...need I say more. I've glued the entire canopy glass onto the model. It's pretty well now at the paint stage. There is a little more masking to do but not a whole lot. Once that little bit of taping is done, I'll spray the gloss black on the fuselage for the Alclad. I'll then prime the wings and horizontal stabs with very light grey as a base for the red, gloss white and gloss grey. I'll post some photos of the painting when it's done.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

The gloss black and light grey have been sprayed. Waiting for it to dry before giving a wet sand and applying a second coat. I will be done by deadline day.

Mike

Here are a few photos to illustrate my last submission.

Gloss black applied.

PrimedTop_zps6015c6ce.jpg

PrimedBottom_zps5152accc.jpg

Wings, wing tanks and horizontal stab primed with MM Flat Light Grey.

PrimedWingsTanksandStab_zps2a3493b2.jpg

PrimedBits2_zps92cd5c1a.jpg

I use a moderate sized box to put painted pieces in to prevent dust settling on the wet paint. I use a larger box to cover complete models when being painted.

DryingBox_zps54e28d43.jpg

I'm now concentrating on the CF-100 in order to complete it. It's pretty well done, sort of. See that thread for more updates.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the CF-100 is done, I have three weeks to concentrate on getting this build done before deadline. I'm off Monday and Tuesday so I hope to get some work done on her. Wings, tanks and horizontal stab are ready for their respective white, grey and red. I'll give a light wet sanding to the black and spray another coat of black before doing the Alclad. I think I'll use Airframe Aluminum as the main colour and then follow the painting hints provided by ALF during his CF-104 build.

Mike

The MM Gloss White has been applied to the upper wings and the MM Guards Red has been sprayed on the horizontal stab and the wing tanks. Coverage looks pretty good. I've also gone over the gloss black with an old tee shirt in an attempt to buff out some of the dust. It looks good but I think I'll do a wet sand (2000 grit) just to be on the safe side and then I spray another coat of MM Gloss Black. A check of the paint shelf shows an insufficient amount of Alclad Aluminum and White Aluminum so a trip to the LHS is in order tomorrow while I'm out running other errands.

Some good progress today...even though it is Friday the 13th!

Here's the red of the wing tanks and horizontal stabilizer. It is glossy but it will be shinier when gloss coat is applied.

RedBits_zpsec9e6d97.jpg

The gloss white on the top of the wing, the light grey primer on the bottom and the contrast of both.

WhiteTop_zpsf2c33e32.jpg

PrimerBottom_zpsefa0d4b2.jpg

WhiteampGreyContrast_zps1a006b20.jpg

I've sprayed the rudder, ventral fin and fuselage Alclad Aluminum. The buffing, wet sanding and second coat of gloss REALLY made an improvement.

AlcladLeft_zps36d83f8f.jpg

AlcladRight_zpsbfb087cb.jpg

AlcladRudderandVentralFin_zpse5f7410e.jpg

Next step is to mask the nose cone for the grey. Then I have to mask the rear portions of the fuselage for the contrasting shades of Alclad. Once the grey is sprayed and dried under the wings and on the nose cone, I'll mask the anti glare panel. I'll also mask the area around the intakes and shock cones to spray them black. I have to mask the areas for the fibreglass colour on the underside too. I still need to spray the exhaust interior and the afterburner. The wheel hubs for the main gear have been primed and finished. The nose wheel is, unfortunately, one piece.

We all still have 17 days to get our little projects wrapped up before it's on to the next GB.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

The steel and dull aluminum have been sprayed on the back end. The masking took longer than the spraying. Next will be masking for the grey on the nose cone and the vertical stabilizer and then spraying that and the underside of the wings. Tomorrow. And then some photos.

Mike

As promised, all the painting is done and here are a few photos of what I have achieved so far:

Exhaust and afterburner = MM Metalizer Burnt Iron. Ventral fin fibreglass area = MM Radome Tan. Arrestor hook = Alclad Steel. Tires - MM Gloss Black.

PaintedOtherBits_zpsc1bd1f7a.jpg

Nose cone - MM Aircraft Grey (16473). Anti glare panel and intakes / shock cones = MM Gloss Black. Fuselage = Alclad Aluminum, Steel, Dull Aluminum.PaintedFibreglass_zpsd4d9c02e.jpg

PaintedNose_zps0689591c.jpg

PaintedTail2_zps454cf235.jpg

PaintedTail_zps528d05d0.jpg

PaintedOverall_zpse2956fdc.jpg

I might start decaling tomorrow. I might not. I'll see what the weather is like and go from there.

I'm liking the way this is turning out. Props to ALF for his lead on painting the tail section of his CF-104. Following his lead helped me get the results I got on mine. Thanks buddy! :thumbsup:/>

As usual, comments and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

I started with the decals this afternoon. There are not a whole lot of them but I have used Solvaset to snuggle them down. The large roundels on the top of each wing are a bit thick as are the 'Cold Lake / Canadian Flag' vertcal stab decals. I've only applied the decals to the right side. I may do some more tomorrow but I'm not sure. I'm working nights all weekend so it will more than likely be sleep and work for Fri, Sat and Sun. The good news is I have 11 days to finish up. Piece of cake!

Mike

Great job on the tail section, Mike! Kudos to you, for learning from my mistake on the dielectric panel masking on the tail too. Beautiful clean job.

ALF

Thanks ALF! I appreciate the support.

I couldn't help myself. As I was so close to getting all the decals on , I got up this morning (I'll have a nap this afternoon!) and finished applying all the decals. They have all had an application of Solvaset and are curing nicely. I have assembled the tires and hubs. I have also attached the wings and horizontal stabilizer. Here are a few teaser shots.

WingDecals_zpsdb2bcfcd.jpg

TailDecals_zpsb424a940.jpg

FuselageDecals_zpsd4b8d0e9.jpg

WingsAttached_zpsd78c3270.jpg

TailAttached_zps94a4a287.jpg

The next post will be the completed model with all the assorted bits, pieces and doo-dads attached.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Sweet build Axe! looking quite the business.

I had planned to build this in 1/72nd: my fiancé's relations punched out of one of these back in the 1970s at cold lake... but I didn't have time to put it together. I guess I'm living vicariously through you.

Thanks for the kind words gents.

'driver...those tweezers are disposable plastic hemostats. A friend, and fellow modeler, who used to work at a local hospital, would bring these unused hemostats (from a single use, sterile suture packs) home if there weren't used as they couldn't be reused. Paul gave me about 8 or so and they work great, as you can see.

I had a small issue with the fins on the wing tanks for this build myself. While they are close enough for jazz, the next time I build one of these kits, I'll slip the tanks onto the assembled wings and then glue the fins in place so they set at the proper angle to the wing. The tanks won't fall off as they are a very snug fit. As a matter of fact, on this build, the horizontal stab, rudder, afterburner and wing tanks are press fit into place. The fit is so snug and secure, no glue is required. Maybe I just got lucky.

Anyway, this project is done. Here are some photos and there are more in the Completed Builds thread.

Again, thank you to falcon20driver for moderating this group build. Well done, sir. Take a bow and pat yourself on the back.

Done1_zps97cd5e6e.jpg

Done4_zpsd95d5dad.jpg

Done9_zps9218736c.jpg

Done8_zpsfc5f8055.jpg

Thanks for looking in. As usual, constructive criticism and feedback is always welcome.

Now a few days rest before the Hornet's Nest Group Build!

Thanks for letting me play...three times! :thumbsup:

Mike