Look what the postman just delivered.......

Su-27SM_01.jpg

Su-27SM_02.jpg

Note that the stand is not included.

I won't bore you with pics of all the sprues - you can see them here.

The kit is incredibly well moulded - with exquisite detail.... note the wheel hub and afterburner flame holder....

Su-27SM_11.jpg

Two pilot figures are included - standing and seated.......

Su-27SM_12.jpg

.... the seated figure is 'posable'........

Su-27SM_13.jpg

Whilst it doesn't have the 'Omega'/horseshoe shape cross-section, the canopy has no seam line down the middle to remove - perfectly acceptable in this scale IMHO.

The IRST ball is separate from the windscreen making for easier conversions.....

Su-27SM_14.jpg

For the first time ever (IIRC?) Zvezda have got the correct difference between the size of the fin root intakes (although they do need drilling out)......

Su-27SM_15.jpg

The auxilliary blow-in shutters on the bottom of the intakes are moulded in place (although I think there should be one more set of grooves?)

Su-27SM_16.jpg

Zvezda's Alexander Adamtsov has cleverly designed the upper forward fuselage as a separate part - allowing for different versions such as the Su-27UB to be kitted with the minimum of mould changes......

Su-27SM_17.jpg

... the big worry is that there is a joint seam to hide - but it looks a good fit....(it is only taped together here)

Su-27SM_18.jpg

I haven't checked out overall accuracy & fit - but it all looks good so far.

The kits has some amazing tiny details - the seat has webbing (left off if the pilot figure is used) - a side throttle is included, the L/E slats are separate, all the undercarriage doors have actuating rams, there are separate doors for the open & closed options, there is an actuating ram included for the raised canopy, a boarding ladder, wheel chocks and intake blanks are provided etc etc.....

Slightly disapointing is the fact that the horizontal stabilisers are moulded in the 'flight' position - there are normally drooped at rest - as are the flaps - so a bit of surgery is called for.

But these are just minor quibbles - this looks to be the definitive Flanker kit in 1/72 scale - AT LAST!

Not that I am in any way obsessive about Flankers - but this is one of those 'drop everything and get started' kits...

More to come....

Ken

For the first time ever (IIRC?) Zvezda have got the correct difference between the size of the fin root intakes (although they do need drilling out)......

Ken

After it got pointed out to them, and after some convincing...

Not that I am in any way obsessive about Flankers - but this is one of those 'drop everything and get started' kits...

You are fooling no one! :woot.gif:

After it got pointed out to them, and after some convincing...

I emailed Alexander about it when the CAD images were first released and pointed it out.

Apparently they had lots of info from Sukhoi - but no-one there spotted it.

It just goes to show how well-informed we modellers really are.... when it comes to our favourite subjects.

Ken

Whilst it doesn't have the 'Omega'/horseshoe shape cross-section, the canopy has no seam line down the middle to remove - perfectly acceptable in this scale IMHO.

The auxilliary blow-in shutters on the bottom of the intakes are moulded in place (although I think there should be one more set of grooves?)

Su-27SM_16.jpg

Many thanks for this update, Ken!

Now, call me a grumpy old sour-puss with a face like a plate of over-cooked sprouts, but a canopy with the wrong section is wrong in any scale! Just a personal thing, but I'd much rather put up with removing the mould line (simples!) and get an accurate shape.

Also, the lozenge and circular engraved features in the photo (just behind the blow-in shutters) appear to overlap each other...

You have to make the cockpit and jet nozzles before cementing the fuselage halves.....

The nozzles are quite good - made up from 5 pieces - including a very delicate afterburner flameholder....

Su-27SM_19.jpg

Here they are assembled......

Su-27SM_20.jpg

a canopy with the wrong section is wrong in any scale!

Hmmmm.....

Whilst I agree that having the correct cross-section is to be preferred, on the Trumpeter kits, the seam line is mis-matched between the two halves of the slide-mould - so when you attempt to remove it, you are left with an ugly tear.

Done correctly, like the Hasegawa Su-33, it is good - but I still don't find it as 'simples' as you to get a clear canopy afterwards :deadhorse1:

On balance, in this scale, I think Zvezda have the right approach - a compromise between super-accuracy and ease of build.

Just my two penn'orth, FWIW.

Also, the lozenge and circular engraved features in the photo (just behind the blow-in shutters) appear to overlap each other...

They're the mounting holes for the intake-mounted missile rails - although strangely Zvezda's instructions don't say to drill them out (which they do for the wing pylons).

The centreline pylon holes are not flashed over - but it looks like those pylons are a 'permanent' fit ???

Ken

More on the canopy cross-section......

It's amazing how difficult it is to focus on the front edge of the tiny canopy..... but its done....

Su-27SM_21.jpg

As you can see, the Zvezda canopy does not have the horseshoe cross-section, but it is a lot thinner than the Trumpeter canopy - and there is no nasty seam to remove.

It isn't a deal breaker for me......

Ken

I get you on that, Ken -the Trumpeter canopy line looks beyond fixable (like the angled gear bays! :whistle: ), but that's down to poor manufacturing.

Zvezda, with their reputation for exquisite moulding might get a better outcome, but I'm sure that a lot of manufacturers would do the same and trade a perfect shape for a ready-to-wear canopy.

Many thanks for clearing up the business with the pylon mountings also. :salute:

The shape of the canopy doesn't bother me. Can one really spot the lack of omega cross section when the canopy is on the model (closed position)? I doubt you can. Surely when the canopy is open - see the photo Ken posted - It probably shows.

I've removed several canopy seam lines with success, but it has never been a pleasant job. I'm actually scared of it. Manufacturers like Fujimi and Hasegawa have very bright and beautiful canopies without any scratches when you open the box lid for the first time. I die a lil' bit every time when I start ruining these gems with a file...

Can one really spot the lack of omega cross section when the canopy is on the model (closed position)?

I die a lil' bit every time when I start ruining these gems with a file...

Firstly...YES!!! Even with my decrepit eyeballs! Sorry, it would be painfully obvious to me but clearly that doesn't make it unacceptable by any means. Just one of my er, things.

Secondly, -you're taking a file to these little gems???.

The Method: new scalpel blade, 45 degree (-ish) angle to the surface (/__), drag gently in alternate directions (/__ », «__\) until the line is gone. Another personal thing, but I tend to use just the blade without the encumbrance of a handle -it gives more 'feel'. Remove residual scratching with multi-grit nail-buffing stick (or Micro Mesh/Miracle Polishers if you're posh!). Dip in Klear if you must, but I prefer a once-over with Tamiya Polishing Compound -masking over Klear can be a pain. All done in around 20 minutes.

Here's one I made earlier:

P4180023.jpg

This Trumpeter item was totally the wrong shape AND had a mould line! :bandhead2: I use it, but every time I look at it, inside I die a leetle...

HTH!

As I mentioned, Zvezda give 3 options on their decal sheet....

Su-27SM - Red 82 based at Dzemgi, Komsomolsk-na-Amur in 2011

Su-27SM3 - Red 51 based at Krimsk in 2013

Su-27SM - Red 04 based at Lipetsk in 2013

I want to do the last one - because it is in the new bright two-tone blue camouflage scheme.

Trouble is, Zvezda give the colours as Humbrol 89 Mid Blue and Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue - totally unlike the colours shown in this schematic :- http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/sukhoi/big/su27sm-%5B06%5D-2010.jpg

I photographed 04's sister ship - Red 06 - at MAKS 2009 - which shows the new colours.......

day02_028.jpg

This view shows the colours better on the fin......

day02_026.jpg

Any ideas as to what colours to use???? - Humbrol preferred.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Ken, look at Humbrol 47 & 48 as pretty decent starting points for the bright blue scheme. 47 fro memory has that bright definite blue tint with the merest hint of green I see in it. 48 has the bright petroleum blue tint. Give 'em a look.

Enough of this, show us the front/rear fuselage join!

Edited by Dmanton300

Thanks Drewe.........

I've dug out a few more pics I took of sister-ship Red 06......

Su-27SM_23.jpg

Su-27SM_24.jpg

Su-27SM_25.jpg

....and this is Humbrol's recommended colours (89 & 15) - roughly brush-applied to a test Flanker....

Su-27SM_26.jpg

Actually, that 89 looks close - but the 15 ?? - no way !!! :woot.gif:

Ken

PS - I'll get onto that joint right away......

Meanwhile..........

The cockpit is perfectly adequate in this scale - especially with the canopy closed.

Decals are provided for the instrument panels - and note the sliding throttle on the port side....

Su-27SM_27.jpg

This vent is often missed on Flanker models....... (the joint needs attention)

Su-27SM_28.jpg

..... as is this one under the starboard engine intake.....

Su-27SM_29.jpg

The front undercarriage wheel bay lacks detail....

Su-27SM_30.jpg

Now for that upper front-to-rear fuselage joint.......

Su-27SM_31.jpg

...... after a quick spray of grey primer......

Su-27SM_32.jpg

It is difficult to photograph - here it is in daylight to get the worst angle....

Su-27SM_33.jpg

It looks far worse than it really is - a quick dab of filler and some judicious sanding......

Ken