Hello there , all Su-27 fans

I bought the new Su-27SM by Zvezda yesterday at my LHS.

Had a dry run , and this one looks definitely great.

One thing is disturbing me. I noticed on different pictures that it seems to be a noticeable upward kink in the rear fuselage of the real aircraft.

At this place the spine seems also to be flatter and a little bit wider.

My question is the following.

Is it a simple optic illusion ( but I doubt ) and if not I don't notice this " kink" feature on my otherwise wonderfull Zvezda effort.

Thanks for your comment(s).

Madcop :)/>/>

SuchojSu-27SM-3KINK160191_big_zpsd28d08ca.jpg

SuchojSu-27SM-3FlankerBRF-93729Red51KINK24360_1350223143_zpsb8f65acf.jpg

SuchojSu-27SM-3FlankerBRF-93729Red51KINK50051_1355588481_zps7c6d9790.jpg

Edited by madcop

Kit designer Alexander has responded to my query about the S-shaped LERX......

With great pleasure to read your comments on the stages of the construction model of Su-27SM.

Surface bends you noticed for the first time, it's because for the first time made ​​a geometrically correct model))))

This illustrates the shape better.......

Zvezda....

Su-27SM_50.jpg

Trumpeter (and all other Flankers?).....

Su-27SM_51.jpg

And, just to prove that Zvezda have got it correct..... (note the line of the blue camo above the intake)....

Su-27SM_48.jpg

.... zoomed in....

Su-27SM_49.jpg

I'm now off to don a hair shirt - and do penance for ever doubting Zvezda and Alexander :worship: :worship:

Ken

Indeed, Zvezda nailed it while trumpeter was a crude simplification. I think i have said it before; but Su-27 (also known as F-16 copy according to certain expertens) and YF-23's are a soup of subtle shapes. Get them wrong, and whole thing just doesn't look right. And that is what makes them good looking, for those with working eyes anyway. :) Btw, the blue color seems to match very well.

And maybe Ken knows what you are referring to Madcop, but i have no idea. :P

Indeed, Zvezda nailed it while trumpeter was a crude simplification. I think i have said it before; but Su-27 (also known as F-16 copy according to certain expertens) and YF-23's are a soup of subtle shapes. Get them wrong, and whole thing just doesn't look right. And that is what makes them good looking, for those with working eyes anyway. :)/>/>/>/> Btw, the blue color seems to match very well.

And maybe Ken knows what you are referring to Madcop, but i have no idea. :P/>/>/>/>

Hi Berkut , thanks anyway, maybe this picture is speaking to you a little more. It looks to me like the fuselage and spine are going down and up between the engine, with the " angled" part of the spine being flatter and larger.

Madcop :D/>/>/>

SuchojSu-27SM-3FlankerBRF-93729Red51KINK50051_1355588481_zps7c6d9790.jpg

Edited by madcop

I masked off the lighter blue with Blu Tak and masking tape, ready for the darker blue.

Su-27SM_52.jpg

I had trouble with Zvezda's painting guide for Red 04 - it doesn't match photos of the same machine - so I went with the photos....

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/3/6/1568633.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/0/5/2/1827250.jpg

Su-27SM_53.jpg

I'm very pleased with the result - the AKAN paints are great!

Ken

4 days of glossing and decaling later.......

Su-27SM_54.jpg

Su-27SM_55.jpg

The decals are by Begemot (I think ?) - there are dozens of them - all the stencil data is there - and they go on beautifully.

Note the new style White/Blue/Red stars - made with a 'standard' Red Star - with a blue outline overlay.

If anyone can tell me where decal numbe 60 goes, I'd be grateful - I can't find it on the instructions anywhere :bandhead2:

On to the final bits......

Ken

Good job, Ken, as always.

Yes, it is our decals. BTW N60 - on outsude surface of front whel bay hatch.

Interesting - the Zvezda instructions show decal number 46 in that place - it looks the same as 60 - so is it doubled up ???

Great decals though, they are clear and slide on beautifully after only a second or two in warm water.

I like the way the stars are made - with a separate blue overlay - to avoid any printing problems.

My eyes now need a rest after applying all of them :woot.gif:

Ken

Damn Ken, that looks superb! :worship:

I don't have AKAN paints here, but how does one differentiate if it is acrylic or not again?

Hi Berkut , thanks anyway, maybe this picture is speaking to you a little more. It looks to me like the fuselage and spine are going down and up between the engine, with the " angled" part of the spine being flatter and larger.

Madcop :D

There is a "break point" after which the stinger is completely straight without any further breaking points. So Zvezda is perfect.

I don't have AKAN paints here, but how does one differentiate if it is acrylic or not again?

It looks like (from Linden Hill's website) that the Acrylic Lacquer sets start with 46 - the individual bottles with a 6

The Aqueous Acrylic range (water-based - the ones I used) starts with 47 - with individual bottles starting with 7.

No doubt Guy will be along in a minute to clarify.

Ken

Great work so far Ken.

I am following with interest and I am glad to see a true flanker expert introduce the new Zvezda kit. As far as I can see Zvezda set a new benchmark in terms of shape acuracy (exept the canopy) and it looks to be a great kit. But when it comes to surface detail (panellines and riveting) it is not exactly at the same level as the new Hasegawa Su-33 and the Trumpeter Su-27 series. With other words: ther seems to be a consens, that the Hasegava Su-33 is ok. What about the Trumpeter kit? Is it realy as bad as I read from time to time? I know the wheelwell issue and LEREX shape issue which you kindly highlighted. (I was not aware of that before.)

Please correct me if my thoughts are wrong.

And thanks for the AKAN color tip, I didn't know those.

Best regards Rob

Edited by 72scaler

Rob, ken replied to a similar question from me earlier in this thread. There is a slight 'droop' in the nose of the trumpeter kit which however can easily be corrected. Ken has already produced some show stoppers with the trumpeter kit, go have a look at his website, in particular his detailed description and build of the j11b version of the trumpeter kit.

Damn Ken, that looks superb! :worship:/>

There is a "break point" after which the stinger is completely straight without any further breaking points. So Zvezda is perfect.

Hi Berkut

Many thanks for this info.

Madcop

Rob, ken replied to a similar question from me earlier in this thread. There is a slight 'droop' in the nose of the trumpeter kit which however can easily be corrected. Ken has already produced some show stoppers with the trumpeter kit, go have a look at his website, in particular his detailed description and build of the j11b version of the trumpeter kit.

Thanks dryguy,

I missed your first post. It was informative indeed.

And great work on the new Zwezda Flanker Ken! Turned out really well.

Rob

• 2 months later...

The engine intakes............ I always like to mask off the intakes before construction ....

Ken,

What's the "gray" color of the intake insides? Gull Gray?

Gene K

Edit: Nevermind ... I found in your other thread that you used a non-specific "Medium Gray".

Edited by Gene K