New Sheet Announcement #1 - Thunderbirds!

48-006_preview_1.jpg

For the Wolfpack kit. This sheet covers the Thunderbirds from the day they first started training to the final Talon show. We're rounding up the final crew names right now, but you'll be able to build ANY T-38 the Thunderbirds flew from any season.

Price is still TBD, but unlike the VF-111 sheet, this art goes to Cartograf in about a week.

Edited by MHaz

Just to toss out a recommendation...no white on the sheet.

Do it like the Tamiya F-16 sheet; red and blue stripes/scalloping and let the white paint make up the difference.

And the Red/Blue with proper tint please. Yes, nice to see!

We will be putting a white coat under the red markings to make the color pop on the sheet,but there is no point in adding the white between the scallops and the red and blue strips on the wing tips. There will be white under the flag panels since on the real plane, it was a large decal printed on a white background so there is a slight difference between that and the white paint.

I made sure the decals form fit to the Wolfpack kit and the sheet will include separate markings for open speed breaks,gear doors,etc. As Mike said ,we are still waiting on a complete list of crew names so you can build ANY Thunderbird T-38. We want this to be the best sheet on the market.

Any plans to put "Col. Steve Austin" on the sheet (from the 6MDM episode "Thunderbird Connection") or Harry Reasoner (from the 60 Minutes episde where he flew with the team)? As I recall, they actually did do up the canopies for both appearances.

Very cool BTW, now I can do one of my favorite Talon schemes of all time and not worry about having to scrounge a sheet from my Sword T-38 kit.

Jay,

The 6MDM version won't happen. Even though it's an Air Force jet, there's some murkiness about copyright with that, since it was done for the show. Roughly the same issues with the 60 Minutes. I don't make enough to afford the attorney fees if CBS or the studios decide to make a fuss.

Vince had the idea for this and one other sheet, both of which are just cool as hell, and I told him Vagabond would love to release it. He's done one hell of a job on getting this art done in a short amount of time. There's been quite a few folks who've opened up their archives for us on these sheets, and we both appreciate it. Vince, as a few of you know, drew the VAW-125 sheet for Vagabond, and has only improved since then.

As Mike said ,we are still waiting on a complete list of crew names so you can build ANY Thunderbird T-38.

I have a copy of the old Aerophile publication on the history of the Thunderbirds, it includes crew names from 1954 to 1980, the year it was printed. It also includes 3-views of the T-38s and a detail of the flag panel. I can provide scans if they will help.

4bd0dd0414421_50489b.jpg

I have a copy of the old Aerophile publication on the history of the Thunderbirds, it includes crew names from 1954 to 1980, the year it was printed. It also includes 3-views of the T-38s and a detail of the flag panel. I can provide scans if they will help.

4bd0dd0414421_50489b.jpg

PM INBOUND!

An interesting tidbit from the aforementioned book:

One other, very minute, change was made which escapes all but the most

diligent observer. The positions of the Greek and Mexican flags on the

number One aircraft were switched in honor of the 1975 team's new commander/

Leader, Major Chris Patterakis, who is of Greek ancestry

:)

Unfortunately, the RIS article doesn't include the crew chiefs' names and the T-Birds don't keep those kinds of records. :(/> I asked back when I was researching T-Birds F-100s.

Ben

True but the T-38 3-views do call out some crew chief names. You takes whats you can gets... :)

I have a list of all flight crew members and their aircraft/positions for the all of the T-38 seasons. I also have a list of all Thunderbirds enlisted alumni showing the year(s) they were on the team but not their functions on the team. Let me know if you think that info will help.

• 2 weeks later...

Art preview time! This sheet has 73 options on it (yes, you read that correctly!). You can build ANY T-38 flown by the Thunderbirds, including their training jets, the show jets and the #7 and 8 jets.

tbirdswithtalons.png

Art preview time! This sheet has 73 options on it (yes, you read that correctly!). You can build ANY T-38 flown by the Thunderbirds, including their training jets, the show jets and the #7 and 8 jets.

tbirdswithtalons.png

Gorgeous work, guys! So jealous; wish there was the same for 1/72 scale. Wish there was a decent T-38 in 1/72 scale, even! And yes, I know of the Sword, Esci, and Hasegawa kits, but still wish for a decent and accurate T-38 in this scale.

Gorgeous work, guys! So jealous; wish there was the same for 1/72 scale. Wish there was a decent T-38 in 1/72 scale, even! And yes, I know of the Sword, Esci, and Hasegawa kits, but still wish for a decent and accurate T-38 in this scale.

I've heard a rumor (and nothing more than a rumor) that Wolfpack *might* downscale this kit after they finish the T-2C and some other projects they're working on. I'd love to have an accurate Talon in 72 scale, as well.