I was assessing my skills in building an LM cockpit for the GB and felt overwhelmed even before I even started. Counting down the days until deadline I'm absolutely sure I won't make it so I decided to build an LLRV instead (just a basic model) and hopefully get back to the LM later on with a fresh mind. Will I be able to finish this one on time? -- I don't know :wacko:/> so I'm posting my progress here (may have to ask to have the one I started in the GB section deleted). At least the LLRV doesn't require crumpled skin.

frFMLDd.jpg

u2vanjc.jpg

voBfITA.jpg

I wish I had a vacuum-forming machine for the cone-shaped parts. I might build one eventually

but in the interim I'll see how I fare making them using "flattened" parts.

Hcc1TRG.jpg

J9EbTg4.jpg

7T4EJH7.jpg

"Easy-tack"ed (The spray adhesive) the pattern onto styrene sheet.

wxTLWVc.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

I don't know :wacko:/> so I'm posting my progress here (may have to ask to have the one I started in the GB section deleted). At least the LLRV doesn't require crumpled skin.

Delete it? I-I-I don't think so! We get a lotta moolah for each new thread in a GB and we can't just delete one ... I mean, we'll lose out! :crying2: .... oh-h-h .. if only that was true ... ;)

Wherever you post your WIP, it'll be fun to watch. But if I can ask for a tiny compromise, post a progress pic or two every once in awhile on the GB thread. Just for the helluvit. If you don't finish it for the GB, no worries, there aren't any penalties ... and you won't hurt my feelings ... but uh, Bill can be pretty sensitive ... ! :whistle:

For the cone on the engine, can you just turn it out of a solid acrylic rod? Or even make it out of a wooden dowel, once it's painted, who'll know?

And just have fun with this, crackerjazz ... you sound like you're putting too much pressure on yourself. You're doing these builds for you ... not us. While it's eye candy for us, and I, myself, love watching your progress ... if you don't post for a length of time, so what? It happens to all of us. I'll just hafta wait till you're back in the saddle again. :thumbsup:

Pete

... and you won't hurt my feelings ... but uh, Bill can be pretty sensitive ... ! :whistle:/>/>

Pete

Sensitive!? Sensitive!?!?? I'm NOT (snif snif) sensitive. I can't believe you :crying2:/> said that :crying2:/> about me! :crying2:/>

Ha ha ha ha hardy ha ha.

Seriously though crackerjazz, you can post however you like. I'm not aware of any rules about that but I could be wrong. But yes, just in the interest of keeping everyone in the GB aware of your work, it would be great if you could at least post an update or two there occasionally. BTW, this is an AWESOME build idea. I am blown away at the fact that you seem to be considering this an easy build to take a break with... :jaw-dropping:/>

And also as Pete says, build these for yourself and don't worry about finishing on time or even at all if you don't want to. It's all for fun and well....for fun.

Keep up the great work.

Bill

Hi Crackerjazz,

If you go back in your thread to 27th December last page 9 I added a link of the Three Stooges Kit of this training vehicle 'cause I thought it was so neat and may be of interest

http://www.tagteamho...s.com/llrv.html

My American Cousin bought it over last week for me ( amongst other kits ). It really is very neat and perhaps worth a look or may provide some info, but yes Bill........

"an easy build ????? to take a break with".............. and as a scratchbuild............. !!

But there again, anyone that can build a 1/10 LM and chamfer all the edges with such a beautifully sharp clean result..............and that gorgeous docking window...........and fantastic CAD work...........

Look forward to following this very much.

Cheers

John

Edited by johnbuck

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! Hi Pete,I wanted to turn one on my drill (I've been wanting to get myself a lathe for the longest time), but couldn't find a dowel thick enough - and also didn't know how to attach it to the drill. And you are right, Pete - I get so worried about not being able to post anything sooner. Hi Bill, sorry if I made myself misunderstood - it was more like a long-term break from the LM : ) I do realize the complexity of this ship so I plan to build just a basic model. It was a relief, though, from trying to find the best materials for the LM skin and figuring out how to best build the cockpit with that roof cladding that seemed to require vacuforming - it was stressing me out :( Hey, John - thanks for the kind words! I do remember that post of yours - you were actually most influential to my deciding to build one. That model is tiny at 1/72, isn't it : ) I want to showcase the hydrogen peroxide thrusters and even at 1/24 (my original planned scale) they were so tiny. At 1/18 they are still small at 4mm but at least recognizeable. I have no idea how Ben Guenther was able to super-detail his 1/48.

ULStJdB.jpg

vLjcS4b.jpg

Baby steps...

Edited by crackerjazz

Is it me, or do you start new projects just when the one before it is ready to paint? ;-)

Unfortunately this describes my modeling experience as well, it's as if I'm afraid my airbrush is going to bite me. :(

LLRV has always intrigued me, is there a good book on the program? I've already scoured google for photos and drawings...

Hey guys, thanks! Tracy it's not you : ) I admit to that. My case is worse than habu2's, though.

Everytime I break out the airbrush I have to relearn the assembly and cleanup. I have to make sure

I write it down next time : )

Sometimes I see a stubby cone used:

By8pJ1x.jpg

http://www.lunarlanding.info/images.html

6OH8hc2.jpg

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LLTV-952.html

This early LLRV had a deadlier looking stinger : )

TzpeuaZ.jpg

tjNpWnQ.jpg

The very tip looks flat?

Edited by crackerjazz

How did you wind up doing the cone? It looks like Milliput between the ribbing but you sanded it ... how? Perhaps ... just put it in a hand drill chuck and sand away? It looks perfect!

And that link to the LLRV-LLTV document is excellent! Thanx X-Plane Fan!

Pete

Great solution to the cone Crackerjazz....looking good.

Will you use styrene tube or aluminium micro-tube on this build ? Perhaps a combination of both ?

Have been looking at the DVD sent with the kit. All hi-res pics which may be useful also. Their site says it can be purchase on its own @ $6

http://www.tagteamhobbies.com/llrv.html

What a stunning link from X-plane Fan....and those pics........downloaded and into my Apollo file..Thanks

Cheers

John

Edited by johnbuck

Hi Pete, I used an electric file and went around the cone very slowly to make sure the sides are straight : ) Hey, John, I want to use styrene tubes to make it easier to glue. I'll check out my LHS tomorrow -- hope they have the sizes I need. And thanks for the info : ) I just might get that CD. Nice pics there, X-Plane Fan, I notice the earlier engine had an extra skirt, too.

LhSZoar.jpg

BtLGXB3.jpg

6rnmmkL.jpg

..... so I plan to build just a basic model.

This is looking really, really detailed ... but ... is this what you mean by basic? ... dear oh dear ... I can't wait to see a model with some detail!! :o boy-o-boy-o-boy, I hope you put in all those fan blades too-o-o! :popcorn:

Just don't go burning yourself out, crackerjazz! We wanna share the fun you're havin'! :clap2:

Pete

Thanks, Pete! I thought I'd be building it only once I might as well give my best. I hope to obtain more reference material though. And I don't expect to be able to meet the deadline : (

Deadline schmeadline...this is art! And you can't rush art! The group build is about having fun, inspiring and in my hopes, learning. Deadlines are nothing to worry about AT ALL.

Bill

Hi X-Plane Fan, appreciate the help, thanks! For now probably some shots of the engine starboard side, and some views of the engine from the top? Hi Bill, thanks for the reassurance - I do work better when I know I don't have to rush.

oHazsGJ.jpg

I don't know what you call this part but it will connect to the gimbal that will keep the engine vertical even

when the ship is in a bank.

la3uC6d.jpg

1mcZWvo.jpg

Flattening the sheet metal....

gXeSHSX.jpg

mIeMo0L.jpg

hEeAFMl.jpg

tDDeC68.jpg

8c2Qsgh.jpg

Trying to make this mesh look right...

H0cvtL9.jpg

a PE mesh would be nice.

Wow, X-Plane Fan - these are ultra-cool hi-res shots - Can't thank you enough for 'em!!! Off with the bolts - I was seeing things that weren't there -- Thanks again- You've just made my day!!! :)

Edited by crackerjazz