Geez ... this is really great to watch! This is looking ab-so-loot-ly top-notch crackerjazz!

And X-Plane Fan ... thanx for the photos ... your generosity in sharing the archive pix on this thread, and others I must add, is really appreciated by us observers too!

Pete

1KUcqGe.jpg

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly with you! ... but ... it is pretty funny! ... an LOL-RV ... now if you only had an RV!!

And my gawd ... what am I seeing?? ... are those ... are those ... fan blades!! :blink:

Ah-may-zing! Should I assume the internal parts are gonna be 3D'd?

Pete

Hi Pete, about the fan blades on the 3D model... I just got carried away. They're kind of hidden from sight once the gimbal attachment drum goes on so I'm not sure. And I imagine it will be quite a task to make them by hand : ) 3d-printed - probably not for now - my pet peeve being the texture.

The guide vanes are the ones that are more readily visible both on the aft fan section as well as the compressor section at the front of the engine (or should I say top, since it will be hanging vertically).

F4mYIRO.jpg

il8IB8n.jpg

243QDSC.jpg

waDtpng.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

kFjH63s.jpg

aTId1IL.jpg

6eCH1bF.jpg

Need just the ring - have to trim away carefully. It's my first vacuformed piece and I'm amazed how it captures surface details(i.e. errors) really well. The plug's OD is 1.5mm short, though. Don't understand how that happened - but it's enough to stray away too much from the gimbal attachment points to get away unnoticed if I try to doctor the shaft lengths. But I'll have to muster up enough resolve to sit down and do it over. I envision myself resorting to a printed one in the end - I might as well have the spherical tanks printed too. Or maybe --- print plugs for vacuforming -- just to get the smooth parts I want.

Edited by crackerjazz

I was so busy trying to think of a clever response to your term "toilet seat" that I plum forgot to post something here ... but the master looks terrific. The technique of the build up of the master is very creative.

For the 1.5 mm that it shrank (?), can't you just use some styrene strip to build it back up? I don't understand why it woulda shrunk either ...

The vacform looks outstanding ... for your first attempt or your 50th! And it didn't stink up the house at all, did it? I've only pulled a handful of vacforms and it is amazing how it picks up the little flaws that I assumed would just fill in ... :doh:

I hope you're still havin' fun with this build crackerjazz!

Pete

Hi Pete, sorry - I meant the master was the one that was incorrectly dimensioned. I decided to have it 3D printed for vacuforming later. I'll send it out to shapeways together with some fuel tank hemispheres.

vtmXkvX.jpg

Qm5DW6Z.jpg

xylAr1g.jpg

In other models that I've seen, the bulletnose/guide vanes/compressor face are close to the air intake opening, but it seems that this isn't really the case.

Any overlay I do brings them at a good distance from the intake opening.

x4Isb9U.jpg

9vNB7yQ.jpg

ufd7RAt.jpg

pO377cL.jpg

OZuVT5V.jpg

This image shows an unpainted tank with that metal pouch. One can clearly see the openings.

9SO4TPe.jpg

It seems as if the openings have been filled with some red goop?

Edited by crackerjazz

Do you know which configuration you'll be modeling? The unveiling version as shown in your B/W photo (which never flew), the early version:

LLRV-11.jpg

The partially enclosed cockpit version:

LLRV-12.jpg

or the fully enclosed cockpit version:

LLRV-13.jpg

It'll be easier to assist you with the details once I know what you're going for.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian, thanks for stopping by - glad you like it so far! And how I envy your line of work!

Hi X-Plane Fan, I want to model the version in this photo you posted. I understand they all share the same frame? I'm trying to make out the details

for that that multiple-joint connector on the square frame at the top - would you have anything on that? Thanks in advance!

LLRV-1964.jpg

Was working on the shock strut when the app closed down on me. When I restarted it I realized it was a whole week's worth of work working off and on a good part of the weekend that just went out the window. It felt just like going back in time. Really now -- how could I not have had the sense to click on save for a whole week? All I have are some screenshots I took:

o9GgccF.jpg

SDtzTP2.jpg

S9uN3I9.jpg

Jumping onto another area of the aircraft. Printed Tony's cockpit photo at 1/18 and adjusted for distortion. Tried different shades - I wanted a really dark one but the dark ink washes out the while lines and numbers and makes them unreadable so I settled this lighter shade. I just painted the panel aluminum in between the instruments then made styrene bezels to glue on top. I wish I knew how to make better-looking instruments. For now I guess this will do.

Also found something from the parts bin to use as an 8-ball.

cnnT0z9.jpg

DcV5Pud.jpg

RJFmbwq.jpg

VAaUR68.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

Dang ... those photos are Out-STAND-ing! ... it almost makes me want to build one o' these contraptions myself!

And your Instrument Panel looks mighty good Crackerjazz! The little 8 ball solution is lovely!

Keep up the great work!

Pete

What a wonderful & extraordinary collection of pics ....thanks Xplane...will have to create a file for them just in case a future project beckons....

Lovely work Crackerjazz as always. With pics like the above I look forward to seeing how you will render the detail.