ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
crackerjazz

1/18 LLRV - WIP

Posted (edited)

Well, this looks awesome. 

I am concerned though about the tubular structure and being strong enough to support the weight.  Also I imagine that this structure would be quite fragile and susceptable to warping over time if 3D printed in resin or any type of plastic.

Have you considered making the structure from metal hobby rod or tubing, e.g. brass or aluminium?  Aluminium would not need any painting either and could be joined with an epoxy for metal (Araldite comes to mind).  On the other hand, brass would be a lot stronger and could easily be soldered which would be a lot neater and very strong. Especially if you have access to a resistance soldering unit, though the treasury might object as they are quite expensive, but really are the bees knees...

image.png.7d5d2f9ad425b45b90376751a544a601.png

(why someone didn't use this as nose art on a  B-25 is beyond me...)

Some discussion here on joining hobby scale metal tubing.

Then you could just 3D print the other components, engine and other details?  This way you could make the model quite big and save on resin at the same time.  You could use Solidworks to produce the drawings for the structural layout...

Edited by Peter Browne

How about 3-D printing an alignment template to facilitate building the trusswork from rod/tubing?

2 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Well, this looks awesome. 

I am concerned though about the tubular structure and being strong enough to support the weight.  Also I imagine that this structure would be quite fragile and susceptable to warping over time if 3D printed in resin or any type of plastic.

Have you considered making the structure from metal hobby rod or tubing, e.g. brass or aluminium?  Aluminium would not need any painting either and could be joined with an epoxy for metal (Araldite comes to mind).  On the other hand, brass would be a lot stronger and could easily be soldered which would be a lot neater and very strong. Especially if you have access to a resistance soldering unit, though the treasury might object as they are quite expensive, but really are the bees knees...

image.png.7d5d2f9ad425b45b90376751a544a601.png

(why someone didn't use this as nose art on a  B-25 is beyond me...)

Some discussion here on joining hobby scale metal tubing.

Then you could just 3D print the other components, engine and other details?  This way you could make the model quite big and save on resin at the same time.  You could use Solidworks to produce the drawings for the structural layout...

Resin once cured is strong enough. there is high tensile resin available but I think depending on scale a normal resin would handle it.
Another option might be print the truss hollow and put rod through negating the need to solder brass rod?

Hey Joe,

what do you think about this smart idea by ALBION ALLOYS by using brass pipes and these tiny PE connectors? smiley215.gif 

tSTUzU.jpg

You look here ... 

I'll use it for the Access Arms of the FSS Tower.

I think that should work well with your "grasshopper" too. up040577.gif

I tend to agree that for this particular vehicle metal tubing is the way to go for the bulk of the structure. Not just because of strength, I think the 3D printed resin is plenty strong enough, but just the cost, time, and concern of keeping them perfectly straight. Perhaps model all of the corner joints and 3D print those with a male/female socket connection for each tube. That's my opinion anyway.

I also like the idea of a 3D printed assembly jig. This thing looks pretty spidery and not easy to get perfectly aligned. A good solid base to build on looks key.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

Bill