RAAF F-35A lightning II 75SQN (Speculative)

Here is another entry, a quick build of sorts.

it is the Kittyhawk 1/48 kit of the F-35A. I have spent about a week on it so far and rushing has resulted in all sort of fit issues nothing that a lot of card stock and putty won't fix.

i am not sure if my rushing is the main culprit for the fit problems but I am sure some of the them are. THe plastic is soft and some of theinstructions have parts mislabeled.

This will be a wheels up build with weapons bays open.

KH_F-35_RAAF_01_zps6053c377.jpg

KH_F-35_RAAF_06_zpsf029746e.jpg

KH_F-35_RAAF_03_zpsc5382112.jpg

KH_F-35_RAAF_13_zpse7ab534d.jpg

Some more progress pictures.

Some persuasion required to get the upper and lower fuselage parts together

KH_F-35_RAAF_04_zpsd1d1e792.jpg

and them some filling

KH_F-35_RAAF_08_zpsf6590608.jpg

KH_F-35_RAAF_09_zpsfcbedf7a.jpg

and sanding and check for seams

KH_F-35_RAAF_12_zpse83e617c.jpg

KH_F-35_RAAF_14_zps95ba9a32.jpg

This is how it will be mounted, I borrowed this stand from another build, so a new one will be made

KH_F-35_RAAF_10_zpsa52f753d.jpg

KH_F-35_RAAF_11_zps6a578dd9.jpg

I drill out a hole, file to shape and then and glue in a piece of square evergreen stock. Depending on the weight of the model will determine if I add reinforcing to the stock internally . I this case since it is a short piece I just shaped the end to get a fair bit if contact surface with the upper fuselage and glued it in with Testors glue.

• 1 month later...

Looking awesome 70.gif !

I'm dreading the RAM masking BANGHEAD2.jpg .

I picked up an 'A' last month and have been working on it.

Mine is going to be in flight as well but I'm only going to have one bomb bay open.

Also; I decided to glue the upper wing halves to the upper fuselage half very early in the build in hopes of minimizing wing root gap. For the most part it was successful.

I have to say; With so many funky shapes and curves on the underside of the fuselage, the wheelwell doors and bomb bay doors fit rather nice.

Very nice indeed!

Really good work, mate!

I have a big favor to ask:

Is it possible for you to post a pic of the a/c from behind like you're looking into the jet exhaust?

What I'm looking for is the angle of the horizontal stabilizers in reference to it's wings and a level flat surface. There's a question floating around on whether said Kitty Hawk HS has too much dihedral or not.

Thanks a bunch, mate 377.gif !