VF-102 F-4 B Phantom

I friends

I’m starting an Academy F-4 B from the VF-102 squadron but I got some question about some antennas on the tail and the nose.

In the profile shown, the version I like to do (Phantom cruise 1962) with a bulb antenna in the front of the tail fin and AN/ALQ-51/100 Fwd Receive Antenna in the nose. Is that correct?

ConsultaF-4BVF-102_zps7e95fa6f.jpg

I cannot find any pictures in the web of this F-4 with these antennas, only some decals profiles and a model in the IPMS USA gallery.

Any help would be appreciate

NECSAC

1962? No.

Those antennae (AN/ALQ-51 /-51A /-100) were progressively added to Fleet Phantoms from 1965 on during Project Shoehorn, a early Vietnam-era program to enhance the ECM capabilities of the baseline F-4B.

For a 1962 bird, she should have a smooth fin cap and a smooth undernose radome fairing.

EDIT: the antennae under the intakes (and, presumably, wing) in the decal profile should be omitted as well.

HTH,

Andre (back after a long absence...)

Edited by Andre

The rear tail tip antenna should be omitted also, I think Andre is saying that but it could be missed.

There is the beginning of an explanation of the "lumps and bumps" here http://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/

it is a work in progress, but, Kim has already gone a long ways towards explaining it

He is doing a much better job of it than my previous attempt, so, I recommend using his site as he updates it

The rear tail tip antenna should be omitted also, I think Andre is saying that but it could be missed.

There is the beginning of an explanation of the "lumps and bumps" here http://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/

it is a work in progress, but, Kim has already gone a long ways towards explaining it

He is doing a much better job of it than my previous attempt, so, I recommend using his site as he updates it

Rex,

Thanks for the link to that blog. Awesome reference on the F-4's EW systems (and lots of other good stuff). Added to my bookmarks.

John

Thanks Andre!

For a 1962 F-4 B the answer is no.

But, this configuration of antennas is ok for another period? since when? from 1965?

Thanks again

NECSAC

The modes began to appear in Fleet service around 1967 or so, but it's best to have photographic evicence of the specific aircraft you're building, since different configurations were seen even in the same squadron.

For instance, this VF-15 threesome shows two aircraft with the fin cap leading edge antenna and one without

Some great Shoehorn info, including drawings, here.

HTH,

Andre

Yeah, my "smooth fin cap" could have been clearer, in retrospect. Thanks!

By the time I finshed my previous post, the link to the PhantomPhacts blog wasposted as well, I see... some great stuff there!

Cheers,

Andre

Also note the size of the white diamond on the tail and the numbers in the photo in relation to what is in the drawing (and likely also the decal). The sheet you are using (an old CAM sheet?) was based on the very old Microscale sheet that had these items too large for the model. No easy fixes on them, though.

Notice that 109 does not have the wing number.

It might be the lighting, but it also looks like the inside of the diamond on 109 is gray and not white, as well as the wingtip diamonds. Just goes to show that on any given day, you can't say "never" or "always".

Fond memories of those early VF-102 markings. The first Phantoms I ever laid eyes on were a section of VF-102 jets at NAS Olatha, KS while on a Boy Scout field trip. We got to watch them taxi out and takeoff.

Great picture! I never realized they had the sidenumber on the starboard wing. Very interesting!

Also, notice no anti-skid walkways over the intakes and fuselage. Yes, very nice picture, indeed.

The walkways might still be there, they weren't always a different color than the aircraft, but, they could be the same color with a rougher texture.

as for the wing top numbers, at least 5 variations existed during the time that those were used (only talking about the LGG era)

numbers, no letters

letters, no numbers

blank

two lines, one for letters and one for numbers

letters and numbers on same line, with sizes of each varying

It might be the lighting, but it also looks like the inside of the diamond on 109 is gray and not white, as well as the wingtip diamonds. Just goes to show that on any given day, you can't say "never" or "always".

I'm pretty sure they were gray on all of them and that the reflection of sunlight is making it appear lighter on some. I'm also pretty sure that the wing tip "reverse" diamonds were gray on the top, white on the bottom; basically the red on the background color. What I find interesting is that the column of little stars on the rudder is not set on a continuous line above and below the diamond. It seems to take a little jog. Arguably, VF-102 on Enterprise was the first Navy Phantom squadron to deploy; VF-74 on Forrestal set sail about the same time.

Fond memories of those early VF-102 markings. The first Phantoms I ever laid eyes on were a section of VF-102 jets at NAS Olatha, KS while on a Boy Scout field trip. We got to watch them taxi out and takeoff.

Did I ever know that you frequented the Olathe area, or am I just getting old and forgot?!? I would have loved to see NAS Olathe in its glory days.

Dear friends, thanks a lot again. I appreciate the help given.

I have the Monokio decal sheet and reviewing all the information, there are several details I must correct, mainly the size of some (not a easy task).

Regards

NECSAC

Dear friends, thanks a lot again. I appreciate the help given.

I have the Monokio decal sheet and reviewing all the information, there are several details I must correct, mainly the size of some (not a easy task).

Regards

NECSAC

Hello,

what about this one?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155842

The diamond for the tail has the right size and the "AG" is a separate decal. It's very easy to create an "AF" from the "AG".

I've used that sheet for my VF-102 F-4B (together with the Monokio and the CAM sheet).

Regards,

Carsten