Legacy Hornet Inquiry

I'm committed to the "Downunder wings" :woot.gif: build RAAF/NZ birds and I can't let my good mate Ross B. down, which 48th kit gives the most bang for da buck...with regards to assembly, options for ordy, and detail. I'm considering the Revell kit, but not having seen one recently (I did the original "A" waaay back in the 80's IIRC), but my memory is foggy at best as for detail. So c'mon guys which kit these days will get me a good build without much muss or fuss speaking from a hands on perspective; availability also figures into the equation. Reviews don't give ya straight skinny..only actually doing a build tells ya da whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Clif,

The Revel kit is cheap but has raised panel lines and old weapons, not an easy build at all, a lot of putty. The Hasegawa is the most accurate but has no weapons to speak of, and is not the easiest build either but is WAY better than Revell. It does have its quirks to look out for, but it does have recessed lines, and is considered the best kit in scale. You final option is Hobby Boss which is basically a copy of the Hasegawa kit not easy to build but manageable and comes with many different weapons. Price wise the Revell is cheapest. Hasegawa and Hobby Boss will run you about the same price but if you want weapons you have to source them for Hasegawa which could cost you more. My suggestion build a hasegawa Hornet. Oh the hobby boss can be built as different versions as well. You will need putty and sanding for any of the Hornets.

Gonzalo

I have a couple of the older Revell F-18A kits and neither has the LEX fence that was retrofitted to all Hornets shortly after their delivery. Not sure if newer boxings have those in them now, but something to consider. They're not hard to scratch build.

I have a couple of the older Revell F-18A kits and neither has the LEX fence that was retrofitted to all Hornets shortly after their delivery. Not sure if newer boxings have those in them now, but something to consider. They're not hard to scratch build.

The newer boxings (1995 and newer) have the LEX fences, but no cleats for the tails. The also have the prototype intake stations, and not the the production ones. Weapons are only 2 sidewinders and 4 Mk83s with a centerline tank. The nose also needs work as the molds have become dated

Also, you really have to pay attention the Hobby Boss kits if you want to make correct hornets. The A kits have tails for the early block hornets only, which to my knowledge only the US and Canada flew before they were upgraded after a year or so. The A kits also have antennas molded onto the starboard nose gear door, which is appropriate for a C kit, but not an A kit. The C kit has the A kit door! You'll also need to leave off a few antennas that are found on C models, as the instructions have you add them for an A model.

When you have to buy wallet-proof, I recommend the HB Hornet: cheaper than Hase, many weapons in the box, nice surface details but more expensive than Revell(ex Monogram F/A-18 kit, nowadys available as a swiss Hornet here in Europe, a F-18C). Hase Hornets are crazy expensive!! Only chance to get it economically is to buy "second hand" from other modellers (my way to get some F-18) or to look for occasions in the shops / online dealers.

Wasn't there an (old) ESCI kit out too? Just to bring it to talk and not as a serious option for greywolf!

Wasn't there an (old) ESCI kit out too? Just to bring it to talk and not as a serious option for greywolf!

Yes, and there was an old (pre-Mono-Vell merger) Revell kit, different (and inferior) to the Monogram kit. It was essentially a scaled-down version of their 1/32 kit (or maybe the 1/32 was a scaled-up version of the 1/48?)

There's also the (old) Testors/Italeri kit in the "forgettable" list.

Has anyone seen or built the AMT kit, it's in the neighborhood of the Mono-vell ( I like that, big Monogram fan here) kit price wise, anyone know about the quality of it?. Testors' isn't an option.

Has anyone seen or built the AMT kit, it's in the neighborhood of the Mono-vell ( I like that, big Monogram fan here) kit price wise, anyone know about the quality of it?. Testors' isn't an option.

I suspect any 1/48 Hornet AMT might have issued would have been Esci originated as AMT possessed Esci molds before Italeri did.

I know AMT released a 1/72 Hornet, likely from Esci molds. If that 1/72 kit is anything to go by, run away from the 1/48 one. There was almost nothing right with the 1/72 kit.

I would go with the Hasegawa F/A-18A/C/D kits as far as possible.

Although the Hobbyboss kit looks impressive at a glance, the undercarriage especially the main landing gear units are pretty dismal, with many incorrect details incorporated.

I suspect this is because Hasegawa kit's landing gear was cast in white metal, which may have made it difficult for HB to render.

something i want to look pretty decent-hasegawa.

something i want to look ok, not alot of detail-revellogram.

the revel/monogram arent bad, just no where near the detail of the hasegawa. you can always rescribe it. biggest issue for me is where the upper and lower fuselage meets at the wings.

For price i would go with the Monogram kit, the fits not the best, but its Monogram and we still love them. Hasegawa it nice but way over priced. Hobbyboss? Never had one. Testors, fun for the kids but not great for a serious model. ESCI , run, ,run far. The ESCI kit has more in common with the YF-17 then the F-18.

Now if only Academy would shrink the 1/32nd scale bug (or even) enlarge the 1/72nd scale one I'd be happy.

With a price tag in between the mono-revell and Hasegawa kits.

Emil

Thanx Sgt. Spooky, with your help I've made the decision, I'll cancel a project I had on the books, use a Hasegawa "D" I had for the project, and go thru the motions of back dating to a "B". I just need to find out when/if the RAAF did a field mod and added the cleats.

I'd shop around and pick up a Hase legacy hornet here, ebay, or at the shows. I don't think I've ever paid more than $40 for one and that extra $20-30 over the Revell/Monogram kit gives you a better starting platform in my opinion.

The cleats were added in the late 80s around the time the LEX fences were being added. All because of the severe buffeting the VTs were being subjected to by the vorticies coming off of the LEXs ...

-Gregg