RAF Typhoons chase off surveillance planes

I doubt the Typhoons "chased off" those Bears. The Russians completed their mission (whatever it was, either reconnaissance or just "show the flag") and flew home. End of story.

No different than what US RC-135's, EP-3's and multiple other platforms are doing.

Edited by 11bee

They can't 'chase' them off anyway - the Russians were perfectly legitimately in international airspace at all times.

Sensational reporting, nothing more.

These are the facts - direct from the MoD....

"The aircraft were subsequently identified as Russian military aircraft. The Russian military aircraft remained in international airspace at all times as they are perfectly entitled to do so. Russian military flights have never entered UK sovereign airspace without authorisation."

But of course that isn't sexy enough - hence the headless chicken headlines.

Wait until they find out that a RusAF Open Skies An-30 is currently operating out of RAF Brize Norton :woot.gif:

Ken

Ahhhhhh....I see the RAF does go out hunting Bear :rolleyes: , sometimes the bear gets you, and sometimes YOU get the bear. Thanx me good 'olmes, very good link as da "Ghost" said. We really must arrange to have a group dinner at some point in the days to come, we can invite Phantom Driver, and a few other blokes, at present living in the UK. I'll have a pre dinner Glenfiddich, and then 'ave a go at Yorkshire Pudding.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

For some reason I've always liked the look of the TU-95 Bear.

slide_346940_3663988_free.jpg

I agree.

I think because it's so uniquely cool.

I recall hearing/reading that most western intercepts with especially first timers, the pilots were excited and impressed at the sight of a Bear upon their first intercept.

Agree completely with Ken! There is nothing special in the intercepts but you have to make (or is it "make up") some news!

Very nice Bear! Have a look at all the subtle details on that airframe. I love the worn out red star on the left wing top surface, a differently weathered one on the right wing and a faded red (almost pink) on the fin, never the bright red as given on decal sheets!!!

Nice to see one of remaining silver examples of the bear and not the refurbished grey painted ones.

The exhaust stains from the APU at the base of the fin. And lots more. Now where do I have my Trump kit. . .

Best regards

Gabor

:D, I don't just like the cool rakish lines of the Tu-95 and -142 but also its agressive barking growl (incidentally also heard on the An-22 as it has the same engines and props). To me it sounds like a guard dog growling his warning; "don't come too close I might just get a bit angry and give you a friendly:lol: warning nip."

:cheers:,

Ross.

..Two Russian surveillance planes were chased off By Typhoons.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/23/raf-typhoon-chases-off-two-russian-surveillance-planes-scotland_n_5199547.html

Only just heard about it..

Hi,

Looking at that link and the 3 Sqn Typhoon image that heads the article brings me to one of the many aspects of the media that annoys me - why can't supposedly 'professional' photographers and media databases supply decent photography for aviation stories. That image is rubbish, espically when you look at the credit and consider that it comes from a large media database.

The media would have a fit if they knew some of the other sorties flown by RAF QRA. Quite frequently they practise against a simulated 'terrorist' highjacking, usually using a contracted civilian biz jet as the target. All the comm's are in the clear and easily overheard, a few months ago I was actually at Coningsby when the QRA launched on a simulated highjack, and listened to them running through various scenarios, including one where the target aircraft was shot down into the London suburb's. Quite sobering actually. One of the jets from the incident I mentioned above, note the war shots loaded.

9703970904_97e6a7a825_o.jpg

9684925543_d0bbbc6320_o.jpg

Gary

Ahhhhhh....I see the RAF does go out hunting Bear :rolleyes:/> , sometimes the bear gets you, and sometimes YOU get the bear. Thanx me good 'olmes, very good link as da "Ghost" said. We really must arrange to have a group dinner at some point in the days to come, we can invite Phantom Driver, and a few other blokes, at present living in the UK. I'll have a pre dinner Glenfiddich, and then 'ave a go at Yorkshire Pudding.

Clif, need a good roast Beef + veg with that Yorkshire....

Ahhhhhh....I see the RAF does go out hunting Bear :rolleyes:/>/>/> , sometimes the bear gets you, and sometimes YOU get the bear. Thanx me good 'olmes, very good link as da "Ghost" said. We really must arrange to have a group dinner at some point in the days to come, we can invite Phantom Driver, and a few other blokes, at present living in the UK. I'll have a pre dinner Glenfiddich, and then 'ave a go at Yorkshire Pudding.

Clif,

Ooh what FUN We'll have..

I'm in :yahoo::cheers::beer4::yahoo::nanner::banana:

Edited by HOLMES

Nothing that unusual really - had to laugh though, one of the national newspapers was ranting on about the "Tu-95 supersonic bomber".......

It may not be supersonic, but it is an impressive aircraft, particularly those four things hanging off the wings.

Nothing that unusual really - had to laugh though, one of the national newspapers was ranting on about the "Tu-95 supersonic bomber".......

It may not be supersonic, but it is an impressive aircraft, particularly those four things hanging off the wings.

At least they got it correct calling it a bomber, virtually every other report called them "surveillance planes."

They are strategic bombers and missile platforms.

Curious, how could the Tu-95/Tu-142 be considered a direct relative to the B-52? I can see the lineage progressing from the B-29/Tu-4 etc. But, aside from similarities in their mission, the Bear and BUFF are completely different animals.