1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18A Hornet

G'Day ... :wave:/>

With a two month window, I know it's going to be tight but at least this GB will give me a push to finish it ..at least.

Coming in with a Hasegawa P26 F/A-18C Hornet kit (Did I just say 'C' ?) ..well, I got the 'A' tail exchange couple of years ago with a friend for this box.

So, it's good to go and with decals from Model Alliance sheet MAS-489015 that reads '1/48 scale F/A-18A Hornet RAAF '20 years F/A-18 Special scheme 2005.

This would be probably only my second time using a Model Alliance decal sheet, I do hope it turns out well. Here's some shots of the materials.

P1110150.jpg

P1110149.jpg

Something noticeable to me comparing with the Leading Edge decals online, the large blue Kangaroo roundels is one whole piece where else the Leading Edge ones are separated into portions for the slats and also flaps. :unsure:/>/>/>

Will try to tackle it when the time arrives.

P1110151.jpg

What has been started ...the 'Office'

P1110152.jpg

More to come :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Updates on so far what has been completed.

Overall main fuselage in place.

P1110153.jpg

One of my not so favourite part in building a Hasegawa hornet

P1110154.jpg

Bird slicer from another donor kit

P1110401.jpg

Pre shading on the grey section

P1110404.jpg

Under section of the fuselage pre shading and wheel wells painted.

P1110406.jpg

Close up shot

P1110408.jpg

Masking time using the instructions as guide

P1110410.jpg

At the back end

P1110409.jpg

From the side view

P1110411.jpg

Next will be painting the blue and we'll see how it goes from there on.

• 2 weeks later...

It's beginning to be a PITA applying the decals, I had previously though the first time I'd used decals from Modal alliance was bad.

It seems to concur with this sheet ... :angry: it breaks as soon as I take it out after dipping inside water.

As for now I'm trying to salvage all possible means and move on with this build.

Here's how it looks :(

P1110458.jpg

Mind you this is how it looks after getting the puzzle fit into place after almost an hour.

Edited by Brutus

uhhhh...not nice!! I would apply at once for the next decal the liquid decal film from microscale. For the one decal that is more or less on: try some Mr. mark softer until the decal fits the surface. After that you still would need to repair the bright blue (maybe u have some bright blue spare decals on the sheet?) or need to mix a color that matches.

Wish you luck and patience!!

Thanks guys .. It's going to take some major repair work on this particular decal and that's not all, I have another 3 awaiting yet.

Thinking of a few options as for now, one of it is certainly trying to get the mix colors to match it.

We'll see how it goes in the coming days.

Hi Brutus,

Do you know anybody who has access to a die cutter? You could easily make a mask to spray the Kangaroo and circle in.

Well..Not that I know of. I'm still thinking all the possibilities to get about this situation I'm in. ;)

I haven't touch the build since the last photo update, seriously disheartened with the quality of the decals though. :(

• 1 month later...