F-22 experts ...operational procedures...???

My next diorama has a "what if" twist! An F-22 (Hasegawa 1/48) is coming back from a mission having succeded the first "kill". The ground crew is chearing with the pilot (photos ...cameras...flags... etc...) and a guy from the ground crew is painting a Red star on the nose, indicating the "First kill"!

So what do I need to know, will be the flaps down???...will the pilot open the weapon bays doors after the aircraft comes to a stop????...will I have to add to my diorama some kind of ground equipment (hydarulics/electrical units) like the ones given with the known Hasegawa set???...can I add and a tow bar...what usually happens when an aircraft comes back from a combat mission and a "kill" is painted on the aircraft...anybody???...Help????

Here are some F-22s arriving home at Langley AFB from a deployment

F-22_004.jpg

This was a ferry trip, thus the drop tanks and families waiting on their loved ones. It's unlikely that you'd see ground crew waving flags and cheering like the extras at the end of Top Gun. Glory killing everything in the sky is the Raptor's job, so that's a lot of impromptu hollywood-ism for a jet and it's pilot doing their job and that's a lot of people not doing the job they're out there to do. They're out there to secure the jets.

An F-22 awaiting rearming:

f-22-raptor-parked.jpg

No need for a tow bar, USAF jets taxi to their parking spaces.

(Warning, some NSFW lyrics)

And I doubt there'd be someone out there zapping a red star on an F-22 with a can of spray paint. The F-22 isn't painted in the traditional sense and I don't think that a can of krylon will be looked upon very favorably.

Even if there was a kill, there wouldn't be much celebration once he got on the ground. The pilot will go to be debriefed, any videos and data will be reviewed and after they confirm it, then they might put a kill "sticker" on it.

If you continue with this also note that (as shown on another thread here) that the kill markings seem to be green (outlined in black) stars now but I agree with the others that it wouldn't happen that fast, especially in a war where they are probably more interested in turning the plane around for another mission right away....

I want to thank you all for your "input". I totally agree with you about the "holywood" impression I want to add to my diorama...let say "artist impression"!!! Most probably (yeap ...you convinced me) I am going to change my "setting"!!! So, tell me your opinion...The aircraft with a "kill" marking, and the pilot standing/posing in front, with the ground crew taking pictures....so what do you think now???

Just to add something to this thread. The idea for this diorama is a "tongue in the cheek" for my modeling friends that take the piss out of me for supporting the F-22 that much...I cant be objective ....is my favourite aircraft!!!

Edited by zark

And I doubt there'd be someone out there zapping a red star on an F-22 with a can of spray paint. The F-22 isn't painted in the traditional sense and I don't think that a can of krylon will be looked upon very favorably.

I believe the AF has purchased a few cases of $40,000/can Low Observable Cherry Red spray paint that is pre-positioned at each Raptor base "just in case".

I believe the AF has purchased a few cases of $40,000/can Low Observable Cherry Red spray paint that is pre-positioned at each Raptor base "just in case".

...Great!...just great!...I am still laughing!!!!...well done 11bee!!!! :rofl:/>

Edited by zark

I am going to change my "setting"!!! So, tell me your opinion...The aircraft with a "kill" marking, and the pilot standing/posing in front, with the ground crew taking pictures....so what do you think now???

Yeah, this is a more plausible take on the situation.

Edited by Tony Stark
Hard for raptors to get kills sitting on the ground... just sayin'. Everyone knows TWS can't be engaged while NWS is active. (but then, Tarmacs on both coasts are certainly safe and sound now!)

Wut?

To be really authentic, you just need to show the ground crew hard at work--they're always the last to know if something "heroic" happened. Show a group of other pilots with big SE grins on their faces and a bottle champagne to create a FOD hazard. Then have a full-colonel crawling up on the plane with a stencil and a can of Krylon red paint (preparing to create boo-coo work for the poor crew chief who has to remove the colonel's handiwork) and you've nailed it.

I love your comments guys...thats the spirit! !!!...sometimes we take our hobby too seriously, and we need that kind of humor...dont stop, keep it coming!

Has sombody tried to get the raptor sheen with alclad paints?

What do you guys think? Painting the raptor with modelmaster enamels

36251/36176 first.

Then painting the whole thing gloss (for the decals)

After that flat clear and finally some alclad paint!For example "exhaust manifold"

Are there problems with alclad and modelmaster paints?

Well my friend, thats the second raptor I am building. In my First one, the Academy kit, I mixed Alclad with Gunze and the result - to my eyes - was satisfactory. Here are some pictures of my model.

1-1.jpg

ni.jpg

It realy shows metalic but since I am "hooked" on weathering the shine is not that obvious. In my Hase kit i am going to "play" more with "metalics" and "panelling"!

Edited by zark

HHHAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAA!!!!...the God of modeling is on my side!...Just look what I found...

020502_56_1.jpg

upload image online

...and I "manipulate" that...

02_P0129_1.jpg

... :whistle:/>...

I like your idea, and I am not trying to take the wind out of your sails here.....but that looks to be a flight test bird at EAFB and likely used for weapons trials. It does not need to be kept full up to save costs. Hence, I would guess why the krylon markings allowed. I would think any exterior markings would be the same color(paint) as all other markings. Another possibility is inside the many doors like in the F-117's during the Gulf War.

Yeap!...I totally agree with you. The "doors"...hhhmmm...the "belly" doors are out of the question, you cant see a thing, the "side" ones dont have a "flat" surface to allow something to be drawn!

I know the whole "discussion" is reaching the limits of getting childish...I know I am nearly 50 years old...I am modeling for the past 30 years and now I am stuck with this diorama idea...but hey guys, I am having fun ... and most probably I am going to add a Red star below the canopy...or two :taunt: