While I sit here with my thumb firmly inserted, waiting for the resin seats for my CF-104 project, I thought I'd throw this together for fun. It's the ugly little brother to the 1/48th scale Hobbycraft CF-100.

BoxArt_zps5edc8d5a.jpg

Pretty well the same breakdown but a few less parts. Build sequence is virtually the same.

Contents_zpsce94b382.jpg

I opened the box at 1230 hrs and by 1330 hrs I had this much complete:

NoseWeight_zps9ccf0454.jpg

Cockpit_zps92f0eee7.jpg

The rear seat has been straightened out since the photo was snapped.

Except for the decals, this build will be straight out of the box without any scratch building or modifications. I'll be using Alclad and Model Master paints. The kit decals are shite. I'll be using these:

Decals_zpsf199b768.jpg

There are main markings for five aircraft but enough stencils for only two. I've already built one to resemble an aircraft from 428 Sqn at CFB Uplands here in Ottawa as it would have appeared in January 1958 (HG*583). My remaining four choices are:

428 Sqn, CFB Uplands, May 1960 - RCAF * 583

413 Sqn, CFB Bagotville, June 1959 - RCAF * 649

425 Sqn, CFB St. Hubert, March 1958 - * 750 (markings similar to box art)

425 Sqn, CFB St. Hubert, October 1959 - RCAF * 750 (smaller markings of newer style sqn patch on the intakes)

I'm leaning towards one of the latter three with 413 Sqn being my first thought but we'll see.

I fear the painting and taping for deicing boots will take linger than the build, miuch like it did for my 48th scale CF-100.

Thanks for looking in and as usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

I've done a bit more. The left and right tail sections have been glued together.

RearFuselage_zpsd3951634.jpg

The wings have been glued together and they are now gull wings. I will have to heat some boiling water, immerse the wings for a few seconds and then hopefully return them to a somewhat straight orientation.

WarpedRightWing_zps26db1b45.jpg

WarpedLeftWing_zpsc6397902.jpg

The front fuselage top and bottom halves have been glued together.

FrontFuselage_zps9beda000.jpg

The bottom scheme in this first photo is the CF-100 I have already completed. My remaining choices are primarily the top one in the first photo and either one in the second photo. I'm leaning towards the top one in the second photo. I'm not going to do another 428 Sqn aircraft.

425amp428_zps029215d5.jpg

413amp425_zps9ca92aff.jpg

Mike

I did this exact boxing as a kid. My wings were bendy too! Come to think of it...it was an I'll fitting model all around. That said, it was super cheap at the time so that's why it was bought. I still have the forward fuselage. Good luck with it!

413! 413!

Go for that one, Mike!

It was one of my Dad's squadrons here in Bagotville (he was also on 423). I still remember trying on his winter flying jacket with the elephant crest on it.

Good recovery on the wings.

ALF

Thanks for checking in gentlemen. I should have known. I started this little build yesterday while waiting for the seats for my two seat CF-104. What comes in the mail today!? Yup. My little care package from Gord-o at SB. :doh: Oh well. This build can't take too much longer, can it? <_< Once I get this little lot wrapped up, it will be back to my regularly scheduled program already in progress.

For this CF-100, I'll be adding the wingtip rocket pods, as shown in the decal diagram. My 428 Sqn aircraft is built as shown in the diagram; with wingtip fuel tanks. I've glued the pods together and have glued the rear fuselage to the front fuselage. The fit isn't the greatest but it's not the worst I've ever encountered. I have used some filler around the nose / radar housing. Sanding will occur later in the week.

The plastic in this kit is interesting. Many of the pieces are light grey. The bottom half of the front fuselage has a brownish hue to it. Now I guess I know why some people call it HobbyCRAP. :D Try the chicken folks. I'm here all week.

And just for my friend ALF, 413 it will be - To honour the memory of ALF Sr. :cheers:

Later!

Mike

Edited by AX 365

No new photos but I just fixed the droop in the wings. Heated up some water in a pot to just below boiling. I inserted the wings into the water while maintaining hold of them to a point where most of the wing was submerged. I moved the wing around in the water for about 15 seconds in order to keep it from melting. I had the cold water tap flowing. I brought the wing out of the water, straightened it using the required hand / thumb pressure and then ran it under the cold water. Presto! Straight wings.

I've also glued the entire fuselage together. I'll post some new photos this afternoon or this evening to show the poo brown plastic, the repairs and progress thus far.

Mike

As promised, a few photos. The main assembly, for the most part, has been completed. There is still a bit of sanding and seam clean up to do. Hopefully you can see the colour difference in the plastic in the two photos. Quite strange. I'm leaving the horizontal stab off for now in order to make it easier on myself when masking the de-icing boots on the vertical and horizontal stabs.

Assembly1_zps3e9394d1.jpg

GreyampBrown1_zpsbce8bd6b.jpg

GreyampBrown2_zps33157a19.jpg

Thanks for looking. As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Thanks guys. I can't say it's testing my patience as I have built much worse kits than this. I guess I have have just been spoiled with all the better fitting kits from Tamiya, Hasegawa and others.

Mike

Thanks guys. I can't say it's testing my patience as I have built much worse kits than this. I guess I have have just been spoiled with all the better fitting kits from Tamiya, Hasegawa and others.

Mike

Not so sure if we've been spoiled, or if model manufacturers are finally doing things right. It is a bear of a kit; much as I liked the old Clunk, I hate building the Hobbycraft kits of them. Maybe we can dream that one day Kinetic will attack this subject?

It certainly is a weird mix of plastic, and some of those steps will be a pain to smooth out. Great work so far, especially fixing that wing twist.

ALF

I too love the Clunk but don't want to build another until there's a new kit. And mad props (fans?) to anyone who tackles the Hobbycraft kit and makes it look great!

Not to hijack my own thread but here's the 72nd scale 428 Sqn Cf-100 I built with these decals a few years ago

CF-100Canuck_zpsb4a9d0cf.jpg

Turned out pretty well. Alclad over Future brushed onto the plastic. Gives it a nice shine.

Mike

Not to hijack my own thread but here's the 72nd scale 428 Sqn Cf-100 I built with these decals a few years ago

Turned out pretty well. Alclad over Future brushed onto the plastic. Gives it a nice shine.

Mike

Mike

Did I read correctly? The Future was brushed on, and then you sprayed Alclad on top? Was the undercolour black?

ALF

Mike

Did I read correctly? The Future was brushed on, and then you sprayed Alclad on top? Was the undercolour black?

ALF

ALF:

Yessiree bub! You read correctly. I brushed Future onto the bare plastic and then sprayed Alclad. No base coat. The result is what you see.

Sometimes I even amaze myself. However, Her Nibs says, "You never cease to amaze me." while shaking her head in disbelief. Usually stated after doing something that starts with my version of the old redneck line, "Here. Hold my beer and watch this." Quite often, she follows with, "You're an idiot." Gotta admit that most of the time the shoe fits.

Off to blanket street. Busy night. Time to recharge the batteries.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Closer to being done than I was with my last post. I have sprayed two coats of gloss black with a wet sand with 2000 grit paper in between coats. I just finished taping the deicing boots and the one piece canopy. There are no frames on the canopy so the illusion of frames will be created with paint. I've glued the canopy onto the fuselage and I'm waiting for the glue to dry. Once it dries, I'll mask the anti glare panel and then apply the Alclad.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Going to work smarter and not harder with the Alclad and the anti glare panel. I've sprayed gloss black on the canopy frames and waiting for it to dry. Once it dries, I'll then spray the Alclad. Once that's dry, I'll mask the canopy and the fuselage and spray some more black on top of the Alclad. It will be much easier to paint in that order.

WIll post more photos when that's done.

Right!

Here are some photos with the Alclad applied. I used Duraluminum...I think. I can't remember now and I just did this yesterday. :doh:/>

The gear doors...

AlcladDoors_zps90512b94.jpg

The horizontal stab and the rocket pods. The pods are painted black and then I taped each end in order to spray Alclad in the middle. Also, the de0icing boots on the stab still have the Tamiya tape in place.

AlcladStabandRocketPods_zpse4192f4e.jpg

Alclad on the top and bottom. Again, Tamiya tape is still in place on the canopy, windshield and the de-icing boots. I will mask off the anti glare panel to overspray the black and the wheel wells which need to be painted white.

AlcladTop_zpse33c371d.jpg

AlcladBottom_zps0e2d1e81.jpg

I also have to paint the gear legs and wheel hubs grey. That stuff will be brush painted.

As promised earlier, I will be building the 413 Sqn version to commemorate our very own ALF's father service in that squadron. :salute:/>

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Right!

Here are some photos with the Alclad applied. I used Duraluminum...I think. I can't remember now and I just did this yesterday. :doh:/>/>

As promised earlier, I will be building the 413 Sqn version to commemorate our very own ALF's father service in that squadron. :salute:/>/>

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Mike

So what did you have for lunch, again? :woot.gif:

I had BBQ brochettes, but I don't remember what lunch was yesterday... At least you, my friend, remember the important things - like 413 Tusker Squadron!

Hoping this doesn't hijack the thread, but here are some shots of the real thing, from the late 1950s.

photo3600pppmodrec_zps0ae93354.jpg

This one has a Sabre for you.

photo5modrec_zpsd135d690.jpg

photo2600pppmodrec_zps67345adb.jpg

Nice clean job so far. The end is in sight.

ALF

Who are you and what were we talking about?!

Great photos ALF. Thanks for sharing. Tractors and Sabres and Clunks...oh my! Tractors and Sabres and Clunks...oh my!

I'm guessing ALF Sr. was taking the photo of 606 (or is it 608?) from his perch in the back seat?

I have a full day tomorrow with lunch at the Orleans Legion and then my 9 and dine men's golf night. Thursday is free so I hope to get a lot of work done on this project then.

Will keep you posted.

Mike

Thanks 'driver. In retrospect, I should probably have used a lighter shade of Alclad but what's done is done.

I started with the decal process yesterday morning and finished it about 10 minutes ago. I'm waiting for the Solvaset to snuggle the decals into some of the panel trenches...er. lines...before doing anything else. I have brush painted the gear legs and hubs flat gull grey and will be attaching those bits this afternoon or this evening. Once everything is dry and the Solvaset has cured (in a day or two) I'll spray a mist coat of Future for an even finish.

The end of the line, for this build, is definitely in sight.

Mike

Mike

Yup, ALF senior took the in-flight pic from the back seat. He always told me that after the first 6 months, the Nav job was quite easy, and he had lots of time on his hands in-flight.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

ALF