MY youngest Daughter loves the blue angels, so I decided to build one to hang in her room.

I have a monogram f18 to use but the decals are old and I remember them having bleed through issues.

can someone suggest a decal set?

mike

IF you can find a set of the Yellow Hammer F/A-18 sheet (Y48-13), that is the way to go if not that one then the Superscale sheet for the 2004 season (48-1000)...the older Superscale sheet for the 1987 isn't too good, very thin and the blue bleeds through turning your letters and numbers a bit green. CAMpro sheet 48-011 is also a very nice set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAM-PRO-Blue-Angels-F-A-18A-B-Hornet-Decals-1-48-CAMPRO-48-011-/141263418369?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20e3f4b401

Edited by 82Whitey51

MY youngest Daughter loves the blue angels, so I decided to build one to hang in her room.

I have a monogram f18 to use but the decals are old and I remember them having bleed through issues.

can someone suggest a decal set?

mike

I would suggest you do as I did for all Blue Angels Aircraft I built.

Paint them : No trouble with faded, transparent or damaged decal colours.

I scanned the decals and used them (stuck on double face tape) as templates. Except for the "script" titles Blue Angels.

Just think about a white undercoat before applying the Yellow (Federal Standard 595 Color FS 13538 / Gunze H329 / Hu :188 or Trainer Yellow)

These are all 1/72nd (except the C-130 -> 1/200th). 1/48th should be easier.

(shrinking your screen will make a side by side display)

FA-18Below_zps3969e3c9.jpgF-18BA_zpsaefcbec3.jpg

F-4JBlueAngelsbelow.jpgF-4JBA.jpg

F-11Belowx2_zps2e80df37.jpgF-11BAx2_zpsfaa7a2b3.jpg

A-4FBlueAngels.jpgC-130FatAlbert.jpg

Cheers.

AV O

Edited by AV O

never thought about scanning and making a template, good idea

Same as here :

With Italeri decals on a Hasegawa F-100D :

F-100DThunderbirds.jpgF-100D.jpg

Or on this Hasegawa F-16. I only used the surrounding thin blue stripe on the bottom side:

F-16AThB.jpgF-16Thunderbirds.jpg

Only masking for this one. No decal available with the kit.

F-105BThunderbirds.jpgF-105B.jpg

On all of them, the stars were applied separetly, one by one, to avoid the decal film showing on the white paint.

The advantage of scanning is that if it gets worn out or torn, you can make a new one over and over, and even use the left over part for masking in case of colour under leaking.

Edited by AV O
  • 2 weeks later...