Are B-58 decals still available?

Hi guys!

Just a quick question. I'd like to purchase either the Testor's 1/72 B-58 or the Monogram 1/48 B-58 but it would all depend on if I can get aftermarket decals for them. The kits I'm looking at are from a guy's private collection. The kits are in good shape but the decals are pretty much trashed due to age and humidity. Are there any aftermarket decals still being produced for these kits?

I see that Caracal has a set of decals but I think they're $20. I was kind of hoping to pay less than that but if that's the only game in town, then I guess I've got no choice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric

Caracal is in the process of doing a sheet, it's available for pre-order..give KursadA a holler :woot.gif:/>/>/> .

Hi,

Just to clarify : the decals are already done; I received them almost a month ago. I would not have made them available for preorder before getting them printed. I have been shipping these since last week. I received a deluge of orders, but I will catch up in a day or so. I will release these during this summer in 1/72 as well.

I personally think the price I set for this 3 page set with 19 (nineteen) different options is fair; but I understand some of us will be looking for alternatives. I am not aware of any readily available 1/48 B-58 sheets. The Fox One sheet is almost 10 years old, and can be found on Ebay from time to time for prices typically exceeding $50.

Edited by KursadA

I'd like to rephrase something which I horribly misstated the first time around. With apologies to KursadA and Caracal, what I SHOULD have said was that while I love all the options to be found on the Caracal sheet, I don't need 19 different options for something as large as a 1/48 B-58 especially since I don't plan on building more than one or two of them at the most. Believe me, I would LOVE to have the time and money and the room to have such a fleet! Who wouldn't?!?! But (and I'm humbly asking here) would it be possible to produce a set of maybe three or four aircraft for a lower price?

Best wishes,

Eric

Edited by echolmberg

Hi Eric, you certainly have not misstated anything and there absolutely is no need for any apology. I considered a sheet with a more limited scope, but quite honestly the incremental cost of providing more options was not that much. I really like the B-58; and I might have gotten a bit carried away (as many of you might agree while you thumb through the 16-page instruction booklet).

I am considering releasing a few of these options as individual sheets (to be used with kit stencils and national insignia) as part of my new line (Altimeter Decals) which will sell smaller, inexpensive sheets. If I decide to go ahead with them, they should be available in a few months or so.

I am considering releasing a few of these options as individual sheets (to be used with kit stencils and national insignia) as part of my new line (Altimeter Decals) which will sell smaller, inexpensive sheets. If I decide to go ahead with them, they should be available in a few months or so.

All I can say is that as a married father of two young girls with a stay-at-home wife who is supportive of my hobby, I thank you!!! For me, inexpensive is a good thing. When Altimeter Decals is up and running, you can bet I'll be in line to get them.

Thank you!

Eric

Eric, maybe you should buy the 20$ caracal decal set and try resell the unused part??? (if you choose the 1/48 option)

Ha-ha-ha! The thought crossed my mind if only for a brief microsecond. But recently, there have been some forum members here who have shown me great and generous kindness. I think my guilt would get the better of me. I think I'd just pay the kindness forward and just give away anything I couldn't use.

Eric

With apologies to KursadA and Caracal, what I SHOULD have said was that while I love all the options to be found on the Caracal sheet, I don't need 19 different options for something as large as a 1/48 B-58 especially since I don't plan on building more than one or two of them at the most.

Then I would suggest you check out the Wolfpak Decals sheets mentioned above. They cover multiple different types on the same sheet. Sheet 72-037 LINK had two B-58s on it, but is sold out at their website. Their decals are printed by Fantasy Printshop, and they still have copies available though, albeit, without the instruction sheet. LINK Sheet 72-064 LINK is currently available at Wolfpak and has a single B-58 from a bomb competition with tail art and whitewall tires.

Deke

Post something in the Spares forum maybe someone will sell or give or trade you an option from the sheet if they have it.

I wouldn't mind doing a 58 and would get those decals but that's a ways down the road for me.

Edited by Bigasshammm

I wouldn't mind doing a 58 and would get those decals but that's a ways down the road for me.

Speaking from much experience BAH...if you plan at some point in the future to do a "Hustler" in 48th; buy the sheet now [if possible]...as it has happened to me and others, if you don't when you are ready it will only be thru Evil-Bay that they are available.