Hasegawa T-37 and A-37 differences?

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about the 1/72 Hasegawa T-37B "Willie kit (http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=177718) and the Hasegawa A-37 kit comparison. I read somewhere that the T-37 kit is actually just the A-37 kit re-boxed with T-37 decals. Another note I read regarding the real aircraft is that the intakes are slightly smaller on the T-37 than the A-37. If this is in fact the case and the kit is a re-box of the A-37 then would that make the T-37 kit inaccuracies noticeable in 1/72?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Mark

This is right up my ally. The Hasagawa T-37 is an rebox of the A-37 kit , all they ask you to do is scratch build new wing tips and a couple of other small changes. But in the end you will not have a true T-37. The intakes looks the same, But its the belly of the plane that is a bit fatter. Not an easy fix. I am converting Monogram's 48th scale A-37 to a T-37 and honently there isn't a part I have changes in some small way. Here is my in progress post T-37 conversion

If I remember right, back in the mid 70s when the Hasegawa kit first came out, it was a T-37. Later it became the A-37A andafter that they released the A-37B with the refueling probe. Either way, a tweet is a tweet.

If I remember right, back in the mid 70s when the Hasegawa kit first came out, it was a T-37. Later it became the A-37A andafter that they released the A-37B with the refueling probe. Either way, a tweet is a tweet.

All I've ever seen was old A-37 kits for the time period. One of the early boxings had the orange and white markings of a A-37 based at Edwards AFB. I've built alot f them, its my favorite plane. The Willis boxing can around in the early 90s and it was the only time I've seen a Hasegawa T-37.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to wait very patiently until someone comes out with an accurate 1/72 T-37. I have a feeling I could be waiting a very looooooooooong time but for this aircraft I will gladly wait.

Either way, a tweet is a tweet.

Well, sort of. Most people don't realize that the T-37A/B/C and the A-37B are really almost totally different airplanes though. A lot more differences than even between a T-38 and an F-5B.

I'm not sure of the original Tweet engine designation, but it was smaller than the J-85's used in the A-37. This required the entire root section of the wing being enlarged to house the larger engine. Without a new root on each side the A-37 really can't be converted convincingly. And there are other changes which will need to be done.

Google the Tweet for images and you can see how different the roots actually are.

Best to wait for a REAL Tweet to build, unless you feel you're ready for many hours of modelling 'fun'.

DET1460

This is right up my ally. The Hasagawa T-37 is an rebox of the A-37 kit , all they ask you to do is scratch build new wing tips and a couple of other small changes. But in the end you will not have a true T-37. The intakes looks the same, But its the belly of the plane that is a bit fatter. Not an easy fix. I am converting Monogram's 48th scale A-37 to a T-37 and honently there isn't a part I have changes in some small way. Here is my in progress post T-37 conversion

Great work! I'm quite amazed that there are so few modelers that tried that convert an A-37 into a T-37, going all the way, including the engine pod size. Maybe everyone, for the last 30 years, is waiting for a kit to be released? I guess a resin T-37 fuselage would make a great seller in 1/72 and 1/48 scales!

If anyone knows of any other magazine articles, on-line reports or build threads, can you please post them? Thanks in advance!

Rob

It's one of the more difficult conversions I can think of. You essentially have to chop out about 30% of the A-37 fuselage and scratch built it. And it's a mass of compound curves, not just straight lines or tubes.

I know I've personally been waiting at *least* 30 years for a real, honest to goodness T-37A/B/C kit. I've attempted the old Aurora kit (bleh...). I'd kill for one in 1/48 scale and/or 1/32 scale.

J