F/A-18E Reference materials...

Started working on the VX-9 CAG jet and need to get some reference material for the build. What books or websites would you recommend for the F/A-18E? It's hard to get a feel for a book on Amazon. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy

Can't beat any of his books! I have six of his books.

Yeah; I'm waiting for Jake to update the Modern Eagle Guide book.

I'm guessing (And hoping) it'll be out within the next 24 months or so.

He has a SLUF guide book coming out that I'll definitely be buying!

In the spirit of unbiased and fair critique of said book:

I have just one small issue with the reference book: It doesn't have a clear pic of the interior of the refueling probe well.

And the only reason I noticed this was because I'm planning/researching to do an inflight refueling diorama with two Super Hornets involving both an 'E' and 'F'.

Otherwise; The book covers pretty much every square inch of the exterior details as well as an incredible amount of cockpit and behind access/maintenance panels details.

avoid the detail and scale book like the plague. It only covers the prototypes and LRIP version aircraft, which didn't have the IFF pizza box on the nose and had a number of other differences.

avoid the detail and scale book like the plague. It only covers the prototypes and LRIP version aircraft, which didn't have the IFF pizza box on the nose and had a number of other differences.

I think the advice to "avoid like the plague" is a bit harsh. The D&S is not a bad reference, although it does only cover the aircraft that were around when it was published. I don't think Bert has a crystal ball on his desk, so I don't think you can fault him for not including stuff that wasn't around when the book was written.

Aside from the pizza box, ECS Bard Stacks, ACS cockpit, and revised foward fuselage structure from Lot 27 or so forward (which is only noticable, IIRC, by a couple of different panel lines), most of what is in the D&S is applicable across the board on the SH.

Started working on the VX-9 CAG jet and need to get some reference material for the build. What books or websites would you recommend for the F/A-18E? It's hard to get a feel for a book on Amazon. Any help would be appreciated.

Randy

Randy-

You building the current hi-vis jet with the large bat on the tails? If so, that's a pretty sweet looking scheme!

I think the advice to "avoid like the plague" is a bit harsh. The D&S is not a bad reference, although it does only cover the aircraft that were around when it was published. I don't think Bert has a crystal ball on his desk, so I don't think you can fault him for not including stuff that wasn't around when the book was written.

Aside from the pizza box, ECS Bard Stacks, ACS cockpit, and revised foward fuselage structure from Lot 27 or so forward (which is only noticable, IIRC, by a couple of different panel lines), most of what is in the D&S is applicable across the board on the SH.

sure, it's great for what it covers... but what it covers isn't much in the history of the SH so far.

It covers the history to the time it was published. Would you "avoid like the plague" a book on, say, the F-14 that was published in 1980 because it didn't talk about the Libyan shoot-downs or the F-14D? That's essentially what you said to do with the D&S on the SH.

Taken in context, it is a good reference - just like Jake's book is a good reference within its context. Which one is more applicable is really determined by what specific BuNo one wishes to model.

It covers the history to the time it was published. Would you "avoid like the plague" a book on, say, the F-14 that was published in 1980 because it didn't talk about the Libyan shoot-downs or the F-14D? That's essentially what you said to do with the D&S on the SH.

Taken in context, it is a good reference - just like Jake's book is a good reference within its context. Which one is more applicable is really determined by what specific BuNo one wishes to model.

:thumbsup:

I have to agree with Joe. If you want to do a very early SH, there is nothing wrong with the D & S book. Also you can never have enough reference material.

Like the Squadron series books, D&S books I use for pic references only.

So in five years should we all avoid Jake's book like the plague? I Don't Think So.

Many times modelers want to build early versions or schemes that aren't covered in the "latest" book on the subject. For those references an older book can be invaluable.

Also you can never have enough reference material.

Agree (even if SWMBO doesn't)

Edited by habu2