Odd grouping of airplanes on the same ramp

In the last episode of season 2 of "The Americans" (which I can't recommend highly enough!), one of the characters is coming back to the US from Nicragua. He deplanes from a C-17 (looks every inch like an operational one from 2014), and walks across the ramp where you can clearly see an EA-6B with the wings folded, and a pristine F-105D with an "RU" tail code!! Okay, now a modern day C-17 and a modern day C-17 might well share a ramp someplace on the day they were shooting. But where'd a pristine F-105D come from??

Oddly, the scene is set in 1983, so other than the EA-6B, the aircraft are historically out of place.

Anybody got a clue where it might have been shot? A lot of the series is shot in and around the DC area where it's set.

Edited by Jennings

Did the Prowler have a red tail? If so, looks like they used the American Airpower museum at Republic Airport, NY. It would make sense, since most of the filming is done around NY too. And they have a Prowler and a RU tailcoded F-105 there.

As mentioned above, the F-105 and EA-6B are at the American Airpower Museum. I've gotten notices about a number of TV/movie shoots in the past few months - usually the filming takes place on the ramp outside or in the neighboring FBO hangar, the museum usually hosts extras, meals, and other logistics. The F-105 belongs to the museum (they were built there) but the "pristine" part must have been Hollywood magic. <_</> The Prowler is slated to join the last F-14 at the Grumman facility in Bethpage at some point. And while we've had C-17s into FRG before (supporting the Thunderbirds) they didn't fly one in for this - I'd have heard all about it if they did.

JM_2012_04_01_AAM_004-XL.jpg

JM_2012_01_29_EA-6B_162938_001-XL.jpg

They also filmed scenes for the final two episodes of Black List, airing tonight and next Monday, I believe. A few years ago, we hosted shooting for the series Pan Am.

JM_2011_10_25_N707JT_001-XL.jpg

JM_2011_10_28_Pan_Am_003-XL.jpg

JM_2011_03_18_Pan_Am_Shoot_006-XL.jpg

I thought it was a C-130 instead of a C-17. I remember seeing the DIRCM turrets on the sides of the rear fuselage as well as props instead of turbofans. The AMC gray threw me right out of the 1980s setting.

Edited by Crash Test Dummy

There were C-130s but I thought there was a C-17. I'll re-watch at some point.

Ditto on the AMC "Proud Gray"... bleh! Gimme some Euro I or SEA baby!!

:)