New Eduard 1/48 Gustav. What's the assessment ?

Over on HS, some folks have noted that the tall tail doesn't fit properly. Apparently one side of the fin is shorter than the other, by a significant amount.

Not a major task to correct but it should have been caught by Eduard prior to production. I guess they were too busy with their PR campaign.

Add it to the growing list of problems associated with this kit.

I've built the Zvezda kits, both the F-2 and F-4. One was built opened cowling and the other closed cowling. They both fit perfectly and look great. They are not perfect though. You do need the Vector correction set, however, they build up great. I do have a Vector G-2 conversion that I'll build up shortly.

I'll be starting my Eduard kit soon. Is it perfect? No. Is it a good model? Yes. Will I enjoy building it? Certainly. I wish it was better but I'll have to do some modeling of the wing tips but other than that I'm fairly happy. I have bought two so far.

Floyd

I haven't built the Zvezda kit yet but I won't use the resin canopy from the Vector set as mine has noticeable yellowed, so I guess it's not a UV resistant resin.

Hello,

Parts marked as not for use.

Cheers

Boris

Be that as it may, the tall tail, Erla canopy and the late style cockpit bulkhead are all included, so there is no reason why someone could not opt for a late G-6 or G-14 and if they do, the mis-fitting tail will have to be addressed.

I'd like to think Eduard will address this defect when they release the G-14 but I'm not going to hold my breath....

Be that as it may, the tall tail, Erla canopy and the late style cockpit bulkhead are all included, so there is no reason why someone could not opt for a late G-6 or G-14 and if they do, the mis-fitting tail will have to be addressed.

I'd like to think Eduard will address this defect when they release the G-14 but I'm not going to hold my breath....

It's already corrected. To quote Mr. Sulc: "Yes, it [the part] doesn't fit. The part in kit no. 8268 is not finished and is not usable, as it isn't needed for this kit anyway. It [the mold for the part] already is corrected and will be usable in RC without any trouble [with fitting]."

Edited by JBr

It's already corrected. To quote Mr. Sulc: "Yes, it [the part] doesn't fit. The part in kit no. 8268 is not finished and is not usable, as it isn't needed for this kit anyway. It [the mold for the part] already is corrected and will be usable in RC without any trouble [with fitting]."

That's good to know. Kudo's to Eduard for correcting the issue.

Well if they are responding to issues maybe they can improve these.

Landing gear legs,rake angle of legs,fuselage length accuracy,gross wingspan error,disparity between Brassin parts and plastic.

Still silence on the huge list from "the most accurate 109 to ever be released"..

That comparison image with both kits completed really sank what was left of Eduards SS 109..

That wing is a standout i dont think the most lenient Modelers would let by.

But... but... but... it still looks like a Bf-109.

Reading the various online reviews is a bit enlightening. You quickly find out who is the real deal and who is nothing more than a pawn for Eduard.

One site in particular did a softball review of the kit. This same site also has Eduard ads posted and did a breathless daily "countdown" leading up to the release of the kit. Coincidence or just a case of licking the hand that feeds you?

That comparison image with both kits completed really sank what was left of Eduards SS 109..

That wing is a standout i dont think the most lenient Modelers would let by.

I'd compare to Zvezda and kept flaps in the same position - the photo makes Eduard wings look even longer than they are. I'm curious what will Eduard do - esp. about any future versions.

I'd compare to Zvezda and kept flaps in the same position - the photo makes Eduard wings look even longer than they are. I'm curious what will Eduard do - esp. about any future versions.

Well after seeing how GWH produced a load of new parts for their F-15 and said they are free to anyone who already bought the kit, it would be nice if Eduard was as good a company as they are. I won't hold my breath though...

At this point that would need a total redesign of the kit, wouldn't it?

I was just thinking about maybe a new wing since although the whole kit maybe slightly larger than it should be (is it though? Tom Cleaver seem to think it isn't), but the wing seems to be a lot larger in span than it should be.

That's what I was thinking - if they make a better fuselage for an F (for example), they would not be able to use remaining sprues as they are. From the parts included that clearly was the plan.

That's what I was thinking - if they make a better fuselage for an F (for example), they would not be able to use remaining sprues as they are. From the parts included that clearly was the plan.

It will be interesting to see what Eduard does. If they release other versions using the botched wings / fuselage that would be a good indication that their G-6 actually sold well.

It would finally answer a question I've had about who buys the most models. The - "I don't care about details, it looks like a ____" crowd or the folks who are actually concerned about accuracy.

Yes, and it just boggles the mind what they did... Even the Wikipedia entry has the wingspan correctly spelled out... I doubt the aircraft they measured had wings like these: More likely it was just a typo that was never checked...

Can't wait for the Vector/Zvezda G-6 conversion...

Quite right about now knowing who the real reviewers are... In a way I think this disaster was long in the making: For each Great Wall Mig 29 and Eduard Spitfire Mk IX/Mig-21s, how many Great Wall P-61s, Azur Ki-48s, Eduard FW-190A/Fs, Tamiya Il-2s, Airfix Spitfire XIIs? Except for Airfix maybe, you never get a sense of a reliable progression in quality. Even Zvezda's Su-2 is a big disapointment.

To slip by, such mistakes indicate too few people working on too much, probably thanks to computerisation. Even the 1/32 B-17G was said to have "consulted" many prominent modellers, and look at what a disaster that was: A turd compared to a kit nearly 40 years old...

A shrinking hobby seems to mean an increasingly hit or miss output... Shipmodellers pay a lot more and they seem to get more: Even Trumpeter doesn't cover hulls in rivets...

R.

Tom Cleaver can think anything he wants to. It's too big. Not every part, but overall it's too big.

But that's it, not every part. To start with people were saying they could live with it because they thought it was all 'in scale', not just the right one. Now it's wings seems to be stretched and the fuselage seems to have an extra few mm's here and there. Eduard have got a few choices here - retool some parts to make it a bit more accurate and retool the rest when they do other versions, just live with it as it is, or completely retool the kit. I don't really see the last one happening.

It seems that the only place to ask questions about Eduards views on the Gustav problems is the blog on Edu site about the MiG-15 replacement parts.

A lot of questions were asked not about the MiG-15 but about Me 109 as it was the only direct forum to Edu. Here is the answer from Libor Havranek on questions about the Gustav:

""" We’ll publish another detailed statement about this issue in our upcoming Info Eduard. """

That should be in the first days of June.

Best regards

Gabor

P.s. It is all here:

http://www.eduard.com/blog/mig-15mig-15bis-172-sprue-replacement/#comments

Edited by ya-gabor

It seems that the only place to ask questions about Eduards views on the Gustav problems is the blog on Edu site about the MiG-15 replacement parts.

A lot of questions were asked not about the MiG-15 but about Me 109 as it was the only direct forum to Edu. Here is the answer from Libor Havranek on questions about the Gustav:

""" We’ll publish another detailed statement about this issue in our upcoming Info Eduard. """

That should be in the first days of June.

Best regards

Gabor

Interesting, thanks.