3D printed fan blades for engines

Has anyone tried to 3D print a fan blade set for large turbofans, or even for the CF34's on the A10's? Those wide chord clapperless fans are difficult to scratch build, but as they are wide chord don't look right when they are moulded using traditional techniques. You only have to look at the RR Trent 1000, the GEnx or the GE90 and you can see that you can see clear daylight through them.

If they were moulded complete with the disc and maybe even the spinner and attrition liner / containment casing, I bet they would step up the look of the models by a notch.

Les

If you have the reference materials and technical information I'd be willing to give modeling them in 3d a shot. What scale are you talking about?

Bill

1/48th predominantly. I've got some experience in working 3d modelling in Solidworks, would that be of use if I could send a file?

Anything would help certainly. but the main thing would be specs on the real thing and as many good photos as possible. The other thing to consider would be what models they are intended for. Usually a part can't just be scaled down 1/48 from the real dimensions and fit in a particular model due to errors in the model. So a fan blade for a Monogram kit may not fit in a Hasegawa kit and vice-versa.

Bill

Edited by niart17