Starting on this 1/48 Tamiya kit. It will be built OOB using Afterburner Decals 48-008 in the Flogger scheme, aircraft serial number 870321. With only six weeks to go I'm hoping like heck to finish it.

Bill

IMG_7034_zpsb87a4588.jpg

IMG_7038_zps59b8dcfb.jpg

IMG_7036_zpsfdf48518.jpg

IMG_7037_zpsc96a247b.jpg

Coooool, I have that option from Two Bobs in the stash. Guess mine will have to wait for Bad Boys two or if someone else wants to start up a new Aggressor Group build.

Coooool, I have that option from Two Bobs in the stash. Guess mine will have to wait for Bad Boys two or if someone else wants to start up a new Aggressor Group build.

That's a nice set..........the very first one they released. One day I plan on doing the two tone brown Viper.

Good idea, Mr. Phantom! I will vote for a GB "Bad Boys II" because there are still so many cool options to realize and taking part in GB BB I gave me some more inspiration too!

(e.g. a F-16D in Fulcrum scheme... :whistle: )

I'm finally starting to make some progress. A few days ago I got the intake installed as well as the flaps and some assorted air scoops and vents. This is the second Tamiya Viper I've built and the first one where the intake fit gave me fits. I found that surprising. I had to do a fair amount of sanding so it would fit in the recessed area on the underside of the fuselage. Yesterday, I applied a base coat (primer) of FS36495 and a few hours later the light tan, FS20400. This morning I masked of the tan area (using Tamiya tape) and painted the FS30140, dark brown. Within the next day or two I'll mask one last time to paint the green, FS34079. Just maybe I will finish this one before the deadline.

Bill

IMG_7099_zpsb74fa39f.jpg

IMG_7103_zps37d4ea7b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress?

As a matter of fact, yes. Yesterday, I applied most of the decals with very little left to go. Presently I'm working to paint the wheels, inert AIM-9 and ACMI pod and a few other assorted sub assemblies. Once I accomplish that it's off to the final assemblies and touch up when / where needed.

At first, I thought the dark brown FS30140 was maybe just a tad too dark. I did some research and did manage to find a couple of pics where the color pretty much mirrored that of the model so I was relieved.

What I haven't decided is whether or not I'm going to weather it. If I do, it will be quite subtle. Over the next day or two I'll take some time for a little more research to aid in that decision.

Bill

IMG_7164_zpsb460ae3f.jpg

IMG_7171_zpsc8696050.jpg

IMG_7173_zps8102ec50.jpg

Nice paint job! Looking forward to the finished build.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. These paint schemes are a labor of love. I'm learning that with a little patience and a fair amount of time they can be well worth it.

Bill

Looks good! The dark(er) brown also...depending on picture, airframe and sunlight the brown appears like yours or a bit brighter. I have to deal with the same problem painting my F-5.

But up to now you are on the way to finish it until end of june! I hope to see your viper! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...